Sacrafice

Eliana's POV

After an audience had gathered in the throne room, I had walked around the castle trying to find Bash, but instead heard swords clinging around in a room.

"Learn to expect the blade you can't see. Otherwise, it'll be the last thing you ever learn." Alec said as he held a dagger to Bash's throat.

"I thought I might find you here. Enjoying yourself?" I ask.

"Did you hear that, Alec? We're supposed to be enjoying ourselves." He says.

"Mm, actually, you're supposed to be in the throne room. There was a royal audience today, and the Acting Regent usually presides."

"Lord Hugo can manage. Privy Councilors fill in for father all the time." Bash adds.

"Bash, there is a reason that your father left you in charge. He needs to know that you can do the job. He's gone to Rome to have you legitimized, and if he succeeds, you will be next in line for the throne of France."

"Which was meant to be a secret until he got back. Now the whole throne room knows, and they're just waiting for me to make a mistake."

"There is nothing you can do about that except go and do the job," I say.

"Eliana, the nobles don't care if I'm up to the job. I'm a threat to every legitimate son in the kingdom. If a bastard is allowed to take power, suddenly their claim to power is half as strong."

"You want me to tell you that the nobles are on your side? They're not. But you won't be the first king that's had to subdue a restive nobility. You can do it." I say.

"So... thanks to my father's lust for England and your need to marry a French king, I have a target on my back. Which explains why my mother sent Alec here, my delightful new bodyguard."

I behind Bash, to see Alec, Bash's new guard cleaning the blades.

"Alec, I'm glad you're here," I say.

"That makes one of us," Bash says.

"Bash, I know I backed you into this, and I'm sorry but..."

"Don't apologize. I accepted this with my eyes open." He says, coming closer to me.

~

"I could tell it wasn't worth but two chickens. But when I went to milk the goat, she was dry as dust. And this liar took four of my chickens, good laying chickens, in trade. I deserve them chickens back." A farmer asked.

"My Lord Regent... the good man is speaking to you. He seeks the crown's judgment." A duke said.

"So, sorry, Lord Hugo. My judgment. My judgment is that I have no way of knowing what this other man promised or didn't. But I know that if you had tried to milk that goat before you took her, there'd be no issue." Bash says.

"So, we'll have no satisfaction?"

"I suppose not. Unless you eat the goat and the taste delights you." Bash says, laughing it off.

"Well, the Regent has rendered his judgment. We'll hear the next complaint!" Lord Hugo orders.

"If I die of boredom while hearing my people's grievances, am I playing into the Queen's hands?" Bash whispers to me.

"Stop being so flippant. Your people are trying to get to know you. This is important." I say.

"My Lord Regent, this man claims his house was robbed by this woman."

"What is this about?" He says.

"This man claims that this woman broke into his house and stole several items of value."