The Consummation

3rd Person POV

In preparation for her beheading, Catherine runs through the motions with the executioner, but in typical Catherine fashion.

"Make the blows sure and quick ..." She says to the executioner.

The executioner runs his axe across a blade, making sure it's sharp.

"Remember, I've paid you extra. I don't want my children to see you hacking at me."

He tugs at the necklace, moving it out of the way.

"Don't break the clasp! I've promised this necklace to one of my ladies"

Catherine's head lies on the block. The executioner looms above her, but before he removes her head from her neck, she receives a formal looking piece of paper.

"Prawns?! My youngest daughter can't eat them." She looks around the room in disgust, pointing out all of the flaws in the decorations.

"The flowers! Full vases, cascading bouquets.. where are they?" She asked.

"We were told by the King to save them until the actual day." A servant added.

"I need to see their placement."

The servant hands Catherine the sheet of paper and she scoffs at it.

"What about the wine 100 casks , flowing freely. The nobles will expect it. Yes, let them drink and swim in my blood, thinking theirs is next once that bastard Sebastian takes the throne." She says.

Eliana's POV

Bash and I entered the throne room, where Catherine had just been practicing her execution. Servants and other personnel shuffled furniture around the room.

"What a show..." Bash whispers to me.

"She's going out in style."

Catherine moves some vases from one of the tables until she sees the King enter the room.

"Must I do everything? Shall I catch my head in my own hands, too?"

Henry tries to avoid eye contact with her.

"When can we talk about my tomb?"

"A Florentine sculptor? 20 tons of marble. I can't afford it." He says.

Squinting her eyes, and squeezing her hands, Catherine storms out of the room.

"After the 100 musicians... the dozen ships made of silver and gold...."

"Symbolic of my journey to Heaven." She says, picking up a rose and smells it.

"I'm not asking for a fleet."

"You're not headed for Heaven either. You're dragging this out." He said.

"You have to wait for final word on Bash's legitimization anyway. Why kill me if the line of succession reverts to my sons?"

"You're a treasonous adulterer." He adds.

"Then I'll continue with the seating chart."

As Bash, Talia and I looked onward, their argument continued, Catherine spotted us by the front entrance.

"Eliana, the feast will be held there. Choose your place of honor." She asked before I glanced over at Bash.

"You are going to die. What they write about your execution won't matter." Henry says.

"It will to my children."

Having enough of Catherine for a day, Henry storms out of the room.

"50 musicians and I'll reduce the gold inlay on my tomb!"