Royal Blood

Eliana's POV

I walked down the grassy area of the stables to meet with Bash.

"There you are. You missed our ride this morning." He says.

"I'm sorry. I overslept."

"I hope you weren't up all night worrying again." He asks.

"It's just the fact that we've heard no news from the Vatican."

"Will your worrying make the Pope choose to legitimize me any sooner? The Vatican will come around and when they do, you and I can finally be married. I promise."

"That's not all I'm worried about. Your half brothers, Charles and Henry, I see their sad faces around the castle and I realize how hard this must be for them." I say.

"It's awful. I know."

"There's a frost fair in the village this morning. I want to take them, just us three- just something special to take their minds off their troubles."

Bash smiles lovingly at me.

"You are so good. So truly good." He whispers, he pulls me to him tightly and kisses me tenderly.

~

I remained true to me word, taking the boys to the festival. We were accompanied by many castle guards, who lead us in a horse-drawn carriage.

"Will there be ice-skating?" Prince Charles asked me.

"Yes and sleigh-rides and spiced candy and puppet plays. All of the boys and girls from the village will be there!" 

"Mother and father don't like us to play with regular children. I wish mother could be there."

"I know."

"Will we see her before she dies?" He asked me.

"Don't worry about that now. Your mother wants you to be happy. She'll be happier knowing that you've had a lovely day!"

Outside of the carriage, we heard the guards telling the townspeople to back off.

"Get back! All of you!"

"LOOK! It's the Medici princes!" A person yells.

The crowd becomes angry and starts latching on to the side of the carriage, shaking it violently, while yelling insults about the Queen Catherine.

"This is for Queen Catherine and her lies!"

"Get down! Hide." I say to the boys.

Both of them crawl under their seat, put their hands over their heads and scream.

~

We managed to enjoy somewhat of the Frost fair, until we were brought back to court. The boys were escorted back with Talia and Lydia, while I went to speak with Catherine.

"Where are my boys now?" She asked.

"Bash is with them. Including my ladies."

"I warned you of the unrest that would result in changing the line of succession. Once the Vatican legitimizes Bash, Henry will take off my head. Those boys will be orphans."

"They'll still have their father." I say.

"Hahaha. How much attention do you think they'll get from him as he cavorts with his new bride, Diane? And as for Bash, as soon as he takes power, he will face unrelenting pressure to do away with them."

"I will not allow it. I will take care of them."

"You?"

"Bash as well. We will raise them as they are our own. Despite what you may think, I never intended to harm your family. I just wanted to save Francis."