Toy Soldiers

Eliana's POV

"Eliana, you might want to read this?" Lydia said, handing me a letter.

"Mary De Guise? Has Mary read this?"

"No I don't think so."

I asked the guards to summon Francis to my chambers, as I can't go down to the dungeon.

"This news only proves it. It's too bad we couldn't protect Mary's mother by locking her in the tower as you did with her." I said.

"Instead of arguing, let's help her. Your mother needs soldiers and quickly." Francis says.

"And how are we supposed to get them? Certainly not from your father." I say.

"Armies can be bought."

"Who has that kind of money?" I ask.

"My mother."

"Francis, Mary's already asked your mother. More than once. She's always said no."

"Then we will ask her together. And we will keep asking until she says yes." He says.

~

"Mother, we need to talk."

"I realize that. Why do you think I sent for you two?"

"Oh, you sent for us? So you've heard the news then?" I say.

"I'm sorry. Mary must be crushed."

"Well, She's worried, not crushed. There's still time to send reinforcements."

"Oh, dear. I don't think we're talking about the same news. Have you not heard about the succession?"

"Whose succession?" I ask.

"Not yours, I'm afraid. Word came from England. It's official. Elizabeth will be their next queen."

"Mary Tudor's dead?"

"No! The old bitch is still clinging to her miserable life. But she managed to cough up the gall to hand over her crown to Elizabeth. A b*st*rd, a Protestant no less, and not my son's wife! Is she even pregnant yet? Could you possibly be any less use to France?" Henry says barging in.

"Do not talk to my wife that way. She's a queen and an ally."

"She was supposed to get me England! We've been feeding and housing this ally for most of her pointless life. And what have we gotten? A drain on our treasure and army, an endless parade of dramas and headaches." He adds.

~

Francis ordered a few guards from outside of the chambers, to bring Mary in from the dungeon. 

"Scotland protects France by engaging the English on two fronts so it cannot focus its force on growing its foothold on your backyard, Calais." Said Henry.

"I don't need a lecture from you on geography. Scotland cannot blunt the English threat alone, Your Grace."

"Especially not now!" I say.

"Yes, I've heard all about it. Protestants threatening your mother. She needs reinforcements just like always."

"No, not just like always. She is under siege. There are soldiers at her gates!" Mary says sternly.

"And now you're afraid your poor mother might die? Well, don't we owe it to Scotland and France, as rulers, to ask if that might be a good thing? Your mother can't handle the job that you gave her. Or else she wouldn't be under siege!" Henry said, looking over at Mary then at me.