Chapter 1 - The princess' plight

The clacking of wooden wheels against stone-tiled roads echoed through the streets of the kingdom, a symphony of industry and elegance. The roads were framed by tall, white stone buildings, their wooden window and wall features adorned with lush greenery that seemed to spill over the edges in a riot of colour. The sweet scent of blooming flowers filled the air, a heady mix of fragrances that tantalized the senses.

At the centre of this symphony of sights and sounds was a wooden carriage, crafted from the finest materials and adorned with elegant floral patterns. The pointed roof was slightly curved, giving the carriage a sense of movement even when it was at rest. The wood had been polished to a high shine, reflecting the sunlight that streamed down from above, creating a dazzling display of light and shadow.

Inside the carriage, a girl sat, her tanned skin a striking contrast to the rich red of her royal robes. Her brown eyes were focused on the passing scenery, taking in the beauty of her kingdom with a sense of pride and wonder. Her black hair was styled in an intricate updo, adorned with golden jewels that sparkled in the sunlight. Her neck and wrists were also adorned with golden jewels, adding to the regal air that surrounded her. She was the princess of the kingdom of Eldriador, Quinn.

Quinn shifted her gaze from the bustling world outside the carriage window to her parents. Sofia, the queen of Eldriador, was a picture of grace and warmth, her tanned skin glowing in the sun. Her husband, Scott, king of Eldriador, sat next to her, his freckled skin giving testimony to his peaceful and humble nature.

"Quinn, dear," Queen Sofia spoke softly, but her voice carried a hint of urgency. "We need to speak with you."

Quinn blinked, coming out of her daydream and straightening her posture. "Yes, Ma?"

King Scott took a deep breath and began, "Quinn, we know you are not fond of the idea of marriage, especially with someone you are unfamiliar with. Your mother was the same. But you must understand that you are 18 now, and soon the responsibility of the kingdom and all its people will fall upon your shoulders. You must think not only for yourself, but also for your people."

Queen Sofia nodded in agreement, "And so, it is time for you to do your part in helping to strengthen the stability of the kingdom."

Quinn listened intently, understanding the weight of her parents' words. her mind was plagued with turmoil. On one hand, she yearned for freedom - to be able to make her own choices, to live life on her own terms. The thought of being tied down to someone she had never met before, solely for the sake of political gain, filled her with dread. However, there was also a fear that was rooted deep within her - the fear of failing her people. The weight of the kingdom and its people resting on her shoulders was a daunting thought, and she couldn't bear the thought of letting them down. It was like a serpent of guilt, coiling around her heart, and squeezing tightly. As she gazed out the window at the bustling streets of her kingdom, the clacking of the wooden wheels against the stone-tiled roads was like a never-ending chorus, echoing the tumultuous thoughts within her. The tall white stone buildings, adorned with wooden windows and walls, and the lush greenery that decorated the sidewalks and buildings, all served as a reminder of the beauty she was tasked to protect and preserve. She nodded, "I understand."

Queen Sofia continued, "Tonight, Prince Alexander of Rivenwood will be coming to visit as a marriage candidate. Your father and I will make a stop at the town hall to attend to an errand, while you continue to the palace to meet with Madam Bussano. You will choose a dress to wear tonight."

Quinn gently nodded then sighed heavily, as she continued to gaze at the passing world. The clacking of the wooden wheels against the stone-tiled roads was like a haunting lullaby, reminding her of her fated destination. Her chest felt heavy with the conflicting emotions of freedom and responsibility. The golden jewels that adorned her neck, head, and wrists sparkled in the sun, reminding her of her royal status and the expectations that came with it. The lush red robes draped over her shoulders added to the sense of suffocation, as if she was being smothered by her own royal garb. Lost in the mesmerizing rhythm of the kingdom's street, Quinn then found herself captivated by the happiness of her subjects, basking in the warmth and abundance of Eldriador. Her once heavy heart, weighed down by the burden of her regal duties, now swelled with the exultant fervour of her subjects' bliss.