Chapter 2 - The princess in the rubble

Thalassia was a gloomy and desolate land, where the buildings were but mere wooden structures, short and squat, with the signs of age and neglect clear in every crevice. The air was thick with the musty scent of mould and rust.

At the border between Thalassia and the brilliant prefecture of Luminar, there lay a small cave carved into the ruins of two collapsed buildings. The room was dimly lit by flickering oil lamps, casting flickering shadows against the rough-hewn walls. The furniture within was old and torn, covered in a layer of dust and neglect; the musky scent of the oil filled the air, and the only sound that could be heard was the gentle plink of water as it dripped from a makeshift funnel into a drinking bowl. It was a place of mystery and solitude, a haven for those seeking refuge and a symbol of the stark contrast between the two lands.

In the candlelit room, Quinn lay prone upon a tattered bed, her breaths shallow and slow. Over her body, whispers echoed between Erika and James as they discussed their next move.

"Why did you bring her here?" growled James, his eyes flickering with anger. "The guards will find us, all thanks to you. You should have just taken the jewellery and left."

But Erika, her voice calm and measured, countered his argument. "This could be our escape. We could set a ransom and get much more than just a few pieces of gold."

"Or they could take the princess back and reward us with our heads on a platter." replied James, his tone bitter and jaded.

"No, they wouldn't do that," Erika argued. "The royals may be cold hearted, but they stick to their word."

Just then, a barking dog in the corner of the room caught their attention. "Guys, I think she's waking up," warned Felicity, her eyes fixed on Quinn.

Erika approached the bed, her hand reaching out to grab Quinn's chin and bring her face closer. As Quinn fluttered her eyes awake, she saw a young girl, her silver hair and fair skin marred by burn scars along her neck and down her back. Dirt smudged her cheeks, but her blue eyes sparkled even in the dim light.

With a scream, Quinn sat up, her eyes wide and panicked as she gazed at the unfamiliar faces surrounding her. To her right was a tall, muscular man with emerald-green eyes and a determined expression. To his left, attached to his arm, was a small girl with auburn hair and warm brown eyes. And to her left, a shaggy dog with one ear flopped and the other perked.

"Who are you and what do you want with me?" demanded Quinn, her voice trembling with fear.

The young girl stepped forward, but the man quickly covered her mouth, shaking his head in disapproval. "It doesn't matter who we are," he said, his voice cold. "All you need to know is that no one will find you unless you comply with us."

"There's no need to scare her," Erika chimed in, her eyes softening. "What is she going to do with such thin arms?"

The gentle trickle of rainwater invited Erika to the basin, and with delicate grace, she dipped her cup into the shallow pool. As she turned, the light of the lantern caught her eyes and illuminated their bright blue hue. She approached the bed where Quinn lay, still wary from the events of the night before, and offered the cup with a gesture of peace.

"Here," Erika said, her voice soft and gentle.

Quinn's eyes locked onto Erika's, their gazes clashing in a battle of suspicion and distrust. Neither dared to break their stare, each searching the other's eyes for any sign of malice. At last, Erika took a sip from the cup to show that it was safe to drink. Reluctantly, Quinn accepted the offering and raised it to her lips. She took a sip, but her expression quickly twisted into a scowl as she spat it out in disgust.