Chapter 4 - The dark underbelly of the markets

"Princess, wake up!"

Quinn stirred from her deep slumber as Erika shook her awake, her voice laced with urgency. The morning light filtered through the cracks in the walls, casting a warm glow in the dim room. Erika was already on her feet, ready to head back before James discovered they had left.

Quinn groggily got up and followed Erika out of the building. As they made their way down the rubble, Quinn couldn't help but gaze in awe at the breathtaking view of the city at dawn, the golden sunlight casting a spellbinding spell on everything it touched. However, the fear of being caught was palpable, and they rushed towards the main hideout, their hearts pounding with anticipation.

As they approached the entrance, James stood there, his imposing figure casting a shadow on the ground.

"Where have you two been?" his voice thundered as he glared at the two girls; his eyes narrowing with suspicion. Erika remained calm, her voice steady as she explained that they had just gone for a walk. The tension between them was thick, like a dense fog that refused to lift. Quinn could sense the unease, and she shifted nervously from one foot to another. She held her breath, unsure of what would happen next.

"I have to leave," James broke the silence, his voice tinged with frustration. "I have work today, so I won't be back until later tonight. There's breakfast inside, do not go outside."

With that, James stormed out, leaving Erika and Quinn alone outside the entrance of their home.

The girls breathed a sigh of relief, grateful to have escaped unscathed.

The girls stumbled into the kitchen, their eyes still adjusting to the dim light. Felicity was already there, sitting on the floor with Nimbus and a bowl of last night's soup and stale bread. The smell of the soup was pungent and heavy, making Quinn's stomach turn.

"How about we go to the market and get some fresh fruit for breakfast?" she suggested.

Felicity's eyes lit up with excitement at the mere mention of fresh fruit. Her face broke into a broad smile, and she exclaimed, "Really, Princess? Fresh fruit!?" Her joy was evident in her voice and the way she leaned forward eagerly.

Erika was hesitant about going to Thalassia, knowing it could be dangerous for women. However, Quinn was persuasive and eager to explore the city. "But, Princess, James just told us not to leave. It's not safe," Erika voiced her concern.

"I understand your concern, Erika. But we'll only be gone for a short while, and I want to experience the real Thalassia," Quinn replied, with a glint of excitement in her eyes.

Erika took a deep breath and thought for a moment. She knew that Quinn was persistent and wasn't going to back down. "Alright, but we must be careful," Erika agreed.

Quinn then turned to Erika and asked, "Where are my belongings?"

Erika showed Quinn a bag where she kept her jewellery and other things. Quinn reached inside and pulled out a small pouch filled with gold and silver coins. "With this much, we could probably get a week's supply of food with coins to spare," Quinn said, smiling at Felicity.

Felicity's eyes widened as she saw the pouch filled with coins. "Really, princess?" she asked, excitement beaming through her eyes.

Quinn chuckled, "You can call me Quinn."

"Okay, Quinn!" Felicity exclaimed, giggling with excitement.

Erika retrieved some hooded capes from James's room for the girls to wear. The capes were raggedy and dark, providing cover from prying eyes.

As they walked through the Thalassian streets, the sight that greeted them was a depressing one. The buildings were old and made of wood that had been worn away by time and the elements. Beggars sat on the side of the street, holding out their hands for spare change.

The market was bustling with people, with guards walking around in a show of authority. The stalls were a mixture of people selling food from blankets and vendors hawking their wares. Felicity's eyes shone as they walked past a fruit stand, the scent of fresh fruit making her mouth water.

Quinn took out a pouch of gold and silver coins, and they walked up to the fruit vendor. The vendor's eyes widened at the sight of the coins, and he quickly handed them a basket of fresh fruit. The girls walked away, their arms laden with fruit, feeling a sense of excitement and nervousness at the same time.

As they walked through the crowded market, the scent of ripe fruit wafted through the air, mixing with the smells of spices and sweat. Quinn's eyes lit up at the sight of the fruit vendor's stall. Felicity followed her lead, and they began choosing some of the ripest and most succulent fruit. The vendor skilfully packed the fruit into a woven basket, and Quinn pulled out her pouch of gold and silver coins to pay for it.

"How much will all that be?" Quinn asked, her voice full of curiosity.

"For you, beautiful, I give you discount. Only seven gold pieces," replied the vendor with a sly grin.

Quinn handed over the coins with a smile, but as they continued to walk through the market, something began to nag at her. She noticed that the amount she paid for the fruit was significantly higher than what others were being charged for similar amounts.

Before she could investigate further, they were approached by a group of child beggars selling small bracelets. One of the children pleaded, "Miss, please spare any change. I'll give you a bracelet. I made it myself."

Quinn's heart sank with pity as she pulled out her pouch from her belt. Erika warned her to be careful, but Quinn was too sympathetic to the children's plight. She gave each of them a single silver coin and put her pouch away.

The children were overjoyed and hugged Quinn tightly, but Erika quickly pushed them away, warning Quinn to check her pouch. To her dismay, Quinn found that her money pouch was missing. The children had stolen it while hugging her.

Quinn was filled with confusion and perplexity. How could this happen? She felt violated and foolish. The emotions swirled inside her, making her feel dizzy and disoriented. The market that was once so lively and exciting now seemed dark and treacherous.

Quinn was full of regret as she apologized to Felicity for not having enough money to purchase more fruit. The weight of the moment was heavy on her heart, and her mind was racing with ideas on how to make it right. She didn't want to let her new friends down.

"I have an idea," Quinn said, her voice beaming with hope. "I can go back to the palace and get more money."

Erika was skeptical. "How will we know if you will come back?" she asked.

Quinn smiled reassuringly. "You still have my jewellery. Keep it safe until I return," she said.

Erika was hesitant, but the weight of the princess's promise was too much to ignore. The mere fact that the princess was leaving her jewellery with them was worth a fortune. Erika knew that the jewellery could be pawned if Quinn didn't return.

After a brief discussion, Quinn gave Felicity the woven basket of fruit and her cloak to Erika. The girls headed in one direction while Quinn went in the opposite direction toward a guard.