The League

"So, he got away." Bruce removed his cowl and stared at the Batcomputer. "Good attempt Barbara, Dick."
"You already saw the fight?"
"Alfred studied the film. The fact you were able to incapacitate Bane is...good." Barbara and Dick grinned at each other. They gave each other a small fist bump as Bruce continued. "But we have bigger concerns. Jason, you're compromised. We're going to have to move you."
"I knew my connections to low level gangs would come back to bite me."
"What about Penguin?" Barbara asked.
"Can we trust him?" Jason shrugged.
"I don't get where you're going with this?" Batman asked Batgirl.
"I..." Barbara looked down. "He can be our informant. Maybe he also has a few safehouses."
"Trusting Penguin with my life?" Jason shook his head.
"It'd be a good way to break the ice. Convert the tyrant into a useful tool." Barbara stepped forward.
"Too dangerous." Bruce shook his head. "I have a safehouse in mind for you."
"Great." Jason sighed. "I guess I should go off grid too."
"Bruce." Barbara stepped forward again. "I strongly believe -"
"We're done discussing this." Bruce shook his head. "Dick, take Jason to Safehouse Zeta."
Dick gave Barbara a small nod before shaking his head. "Right. Right. Come on Jason. You'll like the big TV."
"Is there things I can punch there?" Jason asked.
Dick chuckled as they headed out the door. Barbara was still glaring at Bruce.
"What is it Babs?" Bruce asked.
"I..." Barbara looked at the ground. "I think we can use Penguin."
"I know." Bruce grimaced. "But, let's not a team member in the grubby paws of the Penguin."
"Flippers." Barbara grinned.
Bruce's surprised face slowly wrinkled into a smile. And for once, he chuckled. Barbara was taken back by the moment. Had she just made THE Batman chuckle?
"What do you think of this Joker character?" Bruce asked.
"Unknown."
"Perhaps we pay the Penguin a visit then."
Barbara jumped up and down, giddy. "Batmobile?"
"Batmobile." Bruce nodded. They headed towards the Batmobile.
"Eeek! Can I drive?" Barbara said, leaning against passenger side.
"No." Batman said, cowl on, hopping into the driver seat.
Batgirl put her cowl back on. "Buzzkill."
She hopped in and the car spun towards the exit. It shook for a moment before shooting off the line and into the darkness. It was suspended tracks, allowing it to get the speed it needed to fling itself out of the waterfall. It flew out and onto a dirt road that eventually overlooked the highway. From there they dropped down onto the highway. They pulled behind a cop, they flashed for Batman to pass.
"Do you know where Penguin might be this time of day?"
Batgirl pondered for a moment. "His gentlemen's club, downtown?"
Bruce merely nodded and they shot off towards the Iceberg Lounge. When they pulled up, Batman put the car into stealth mode as it shot them up and to the roof of the well known party club. Using the ventilation system, Batman and Batgirl broke into the very depths of the Iceberg Lounge. They found Penguin pacing in his office. He was alone, he took a drink from some whiskey and looked out the window down onto the dance floor.
"Fucking bats and owls were enough for this city. Now we got fucking ninjas..."
Batgirl and Batman jumped down, silently behind the Penguin.
"I'm getting better at hearing you..." Penguin sighed. "Is that you Bats?"
"I heard from a colleague you want to be an informant."
Penguin turned and smiled when he saw Batgirl. "Ah, you brought the little welp with ideas with you."
"We need information on who's coming after Jason Todd and why?"
"I thought you'd know who he was. My guess? He's an owl or a bat. Judging by his size and build. I'd peg Jason Todd as your new Robin."
Batgirl chuckled in a condescending tone, trying to throw the Penguin off his game. "Jason Todd? The petty criminal? A bat? How do you know he's not an owl?"
"Not rich enough." Bruce agreed. "He's just a street kid with nothing to lose."
"Fast workers I see." Penguin grimaced, unsure now. "Either way...is he safe?"
"We've moved him to a secure location." Batman nodded.
"Got your former bird watching him?" Penguin asked.
"What else can you tell us Penguin?" Batgirl stepped forward now.
"What is this good cop/bad cop?" Penguin chuckled.
"We're not playing games Penguin. Answer her." Batman simply said.
"I need to know who my police contact will be."
The phone rang from Penguin's desk. Bruce scoffed and looked around. He smiled when he located what he was looking for. "I'd answer that Penguin."
Penguin put it on speaker and put the handheld on it's side. "This is Oswald."
"Mr. Cobblepot." It was Montoya. "I heard a few good things about you. Things I hope are true. That you're looking to go on the straight and narrow."
"Detective...I presume..." Penguin said confused.
"Detective Montoya, at your service Penguin. I'll be your police contact going forward."
"You bugged my place? And here I thought my security was 24/7."
"We're good." Batgirl bluffed.
"You?" Penguin scoffed.
"There's more than one bat..." Batman said, his tone setting Penguin straight.
"Fine..." Penguin finally said. "So, now what? I feel like a prisoner in my own home turf."
"What do you know about the Joker?" Montoya asked first. "There have been rumblings."
"I heard he's crazy. That he arrived out of thin air. That's really all I know. I've never had the pleasure." Penguin sighed. "Would...you like me to?"
"How soon can you get on this?"
"Tonight maybe. But you come to the Joker with a job and money. Not after, right when you meet him. So, the rumor goes."
"Your own money." Montoya says. "Receipts Penguin. We want your fingerprints on this one, a proxy of sorts for us. And the Federal Government can reimburse you for your service."
"The gangster tax rebate." Penguin chuckled. "Fine, ideas?"
"Simple art robbery. One we can watch him work, minimize casualties."
"Easy." Penguin said. "There's an art gallery going on amongst...the less savory of the world."
"Underground auction?" Barbara shook her head. "Not exactly home turf."
"It'll have to do. I can call in the big guns."
"Superman?" Batgirl asked excited.
"Not THE big gun." Batman grimaced. "He has his own issues to deal with in Metropolis."
"Not the green weirdo." Penguin sighed.
"Why?" Batgirl asked.
"What an embarrassing cape to lose to. Capt. Boomerang was a real gangster till he got taken down by the quiver brothers."
"That's where he went." Montoya said through the phone. "Batman. Is this all hands on deck?"
"Get Gordon." Batman nodded.
"We'll be in touch." The line went dead and Penguin picked the phone up. He let out an exaggerated sigh and hung it up.
"I have a sickening feeling in my stomach." Penguin simply said.
"Most people would be happier they turned their life around."
"I'm a snitch."
"Just an ally." Batgirl said reassuringly. "And I bet we can turn a few more coats to our side."
"Girl dreams big." Penguin scoffed and laughed at the Batman.
Batman looked quite serious. "Perhaps she's got a point..."
Penguin's smile faded as he looked Batgirl up and down. A smile crept across his face. "The new face of Gotham then."
"That's for the likes of the DA and detectives." Batman shook his head.
"Who knows?" Penguin shrugged. "So, let me make a few phone calls and perhaps we can get eyes on the one they call Joker."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Hmm." The man with a pale face, red lips and green eye shadow circled the injured Nightwing like a jaguar circling it's downed hunt. Jason struggled to his feet but was met with a crowbar to the stomach. He coughed up some blood as he hit the floor. "Which one of you is Jason?"
"I am." Dick said quickly.
"You can watch your friend die then." The man cackled. Jason double tapped the R on his chest while this man's back was turned. His dark purple suit seemed so absurd, it he hadn't clearly kicked their ass mere moments earlier. Jason and Dick both managed to stand, this time the cackling stranger backed up and cracked his neck. "It looks like class isn't quite over..."
- - - - - - - - - - - -
*Beep beep beep*
Batman disappeared as soon as Penguin looked away. Batgirl followed closely behind.
"It'll take me about..." The Penguin looked around. "How the hell do they do it?"
Batman was already inside the Batmobile as Batgirl came sprinting up from the Iceberg Lounge. She hopped in and they were on the road again. It appeared someone had ambushed Nightwing and Robin at the safe house.
"How do they - ?" Barbara begins.
"I don't know!" Batman gruffly yelled back.
It felt like an eternity, driving in complete silence. With nothing but the low roar of the Batmobile's engines revving up as it slowed and sped up around turns. The arrived at the apartment complex that held the safehouse. The shot out of the Batmobile, vertically climbing Batman shot his grappling hook up and Batgirl followed his lead. They hooked onto the roof of the building as they climbed higher and higher. They were clearly in middle downtown. The Misty Veil clubhouse across the street banged loud music as they climbed. It was like her heartbeat was going as fast as the EDM beats below.
They landed on the roof and Batman ran forward towards a skylight. He broke through and Batgirl was close to dive behind. Landing and almost slipping on the broken glass. She froze for a second to see Batman disappearing behind a door across the room. She bounded after him but after a couple more doors, her AR tracking Batman's known location. Batman tackled something to the ground as Batgirl rounded the corner. She found Dick and Jason standing but beat to all hell.
Jason's cheek was torn open. It looked more like a gash, but was from a strike to the face from a crowbar. Dick had blood running down his face and neck. A strike to the top of the head cracking his skull. Both suffered from broken ribs, forearms and lower legs. The collapsed as Batgirl decided they'd have to survive. Clearly this pale man was more monster than man.
Batman was hit in the temple, he stumbled backwards. Batgirl ducked around him and uppercutted the reeling psycho. His head snapped back and his smile was met with two more jabs and a spinning back kick to the head. The man went cackling backwards and onto to his ass. Batman and Batgirl put their hands up, ready to fight this madman.
"So, we finally meet." The man cackled.
"Joker..." Batman merely said.
Batgirl gasped at the realization. His sickening make up making more sense. This green haired monstrosity was the Joker. "Surrender now." Batgirl demanded.
This caused the Joker to laugh. "Baby bats. Shall I break another batsy?"
Joker lunged forward towards Batgirl. She leaned back, barely dodging the incoming crowbar. Before she felt a sharp pain in her side. Batgirl looked down and saw a katana sticking out of her left hip. She turned up to see a Middle Eastern queen. Makeup embedded with gold flakes, a practical jacket and pants with a green scarf around her neck.
Barbara was attempting to remember everything she could about her before she knew she'd lose the strength to stay awake. The woman withdrew the katana and Batgirl managed to look over to see Batman in the same predicament. There was a man similarly dressed to the woman, he however had a thick goatee and simple black eyeliner spread haphazardly around his eyes.
"Ninjas?" Joker took a few steps back. "Unexpected turn of events. One I don't find funny!"
"Easy, Joker. Remember why I hired you..." The man said, resting Batman down.
Batgirl was laid next to him in a similar fashion.
"Stay down." Batman demanded as he himself stood. He sprayed something on his wound, he grunted as Batgirl heard a low crackle and smelled burning flesh. He must have used the flame batarang to seal his wound. Batgirl grabbed for hers, lit it aflame and screamed when she cauterized her wound shut.
Batman stumbled forward and got onto one knee. He looked over towards Batgirl who was attempting to stand herself. Behind them both, two severely injured allies, Dick and Jason.
"Who's to think, I was working for the ninjas this whole time. I thought you guys were the freaky dudes in owl masks! What a joke that would be!" Joker merely cackled at this own thoughts. He followed the man and woman away. Joker turned to face them but merely waved. "I'll see you later bats! Don't let your welps interrupt next time."
Batgirl passed out as she tried to stand.