A New Dynamic...

Jason and Barbara pulled out of the Belfry and through their helmets spoke to each other.
“So, where the hell we going?” Jason asked.
“We have our in. Selena Kyle, Talia al’Ghul and I were offered bodyguard jobs with Kennedy March.”
“That weirdo millionaire model?”
“She’s actually old money.” Barbara said. “She just was rich enough for all the surgery and dieticians needed to be a super model.”
“Lucky bitch.” Jason sighed. “So, what you got a plus one?”
“That’s the idea.”
They sped towards the apartment complex. It was a large skyscraper with entire floors owned by the rich. The top eight floors were Kennedy’s. So, the rumors went. Barbara and Jason were about to find out. The arrived in short order. They were directed by some guy on the street to a parking garage. They found Selena Kyle and not Bette Kane. Rather it was a well known gang member: Helena Bertinelli. She had enough dirty money to not need this kind of work.
Talia was also down there with a smirk on her face. She had brought someone too.
“I thought you didn’t have a guest.” Barbara said.
“I reached out to my contacts to give me a list of…possible colleagues in town. One name turned up.”
“Cassandra Cain.” The woman bowed.
“I feel kind of out numbered.” Jason chuckled.
“I didn’t think you’d bring a criminal. Low-level info broker Jason Todd.”
Barbara gave him a look. Jason grinned. “Right. I get info to those with the cash.”
“Didn’t know you could fight.” Kennedy turned her head. “Okay boy and girls. Follow me.”
Kennedy led her team of six new bodyguards into an elevator. Up to the 120th floor. There was her lavish apartment. It was more of a mansion hundreds of feet above the city. It’s ceilings were high. Although there were only five floors, the height of them equaled the standard skyscraper height. It was heavily inspired by Greek architecture. It was laden with marble. It was covered in elaborate paintings and gorgeous tapestries. Barbara felt like she stepped into ancient Greece. If that was ever possible.
Kennedy led them to the top floor and to her office. She sat down and gestured for the six of them to sit in a chair. They did so. Kennedy smiled. “Oh what a beautiful team. Please introduce yourself. All of you. From my left to right.”
They all sat down and looked at Selena Kyle at the end. She sighed and stood up. “Selena Kyle. Some call me a thief, others an adventurer. Either way I’ve come across my share of priceless objects. And when that kind of wealth is on the table…well you got to learn to protect yourself.” She smiled and sat back down.
Selena’s guest stood. “Helena Bertinelli. Most think I’m associated with the Bertinelli crime family. But this isn’t true. My father was a cast of…a price he paid dearly for. For that reason I have trained my enter life to hunt down and kill everyone who killed my father. Now…I need to find new purpose.”
“You killed your enemies you trained your whole life for?” Cassandra leaned forward. Helena nodded. “Badass.” She looked around and stood. “Cassandra Cain. Daughter of a legendary assassin. He trained me to do the same thing. But you know what? Fuck him”
Cassandra sat down with a smirk on her face. Talia rolled her eyes and stood. “Talia al’Ghul. Also a daughter of an infamous assassin. I threw that life away when I met a brilliant man…he changed my life. Now… I’m out to prove I’m enough for him.”
“Eww.” Kennedy shook her head. “A man?”
“That’s my cue.” Jason stood up. “Jason Todd. Information Broker for low level criminal rings. When you’re a rat…like I am. You learn to defend yourself. Being in juvie as many times as I was…doesn’t hurt either.”
Barbara was the last one. She took a deep breath in as Jason sat, she stood. “Barbara Gordon. Daughter of Detective Jim Gordon. I…I always wanted to fix Gotham. But my father’s way has been ineffective for decades. Even before he was on the  force. It’s not gonna change from within. It’s gonna change with power. Power like that of the Court.”
“The Court of Owls.” Kennedy smiled. “All of you have heard rumors I am sure. But I imagine you know nothing of the truth.” The group fell silent as Barbara sat down. “I’ll tell you this. The Court of Owls originated from Gotham. Did you know that?”
“I thought you were just an Illuminati off shoot.” Jason nodded.
“Most think that.” Kennedy said with a finger up. “But we are an ancient framework for Gotham’s rich to thrive. But about thirty years ago…two of our members died in cold blood. Showing we weren’t as invincible as we thought. We rethought our goals. We gained strength. Then…a couple of vigilantes through an entire wrench into our plan…” Kennedy let out an exaggerated sigh. “So, we’ve expanded. To Metropolis…Central City, D.C. All to consolidate growth in Gotham.”
“How?”
“This will be the site of the first Corporate Owned Super City.” Kennedy smiled. “We fix the plights of Gotham with Capitalism.”
“Sounds…difficult.” Talia shook her head. “Metropolis powers think this?”
“The owls in Metropolis love the idea. They think we can go global. All most of us care about? Controlling our own cities…But we need a spark. A spark that begins here in Gotham.”
“Why is the League of Assassins at war with you then?”
“They fear them.” Talia answered. “My father said as much. It ruins our plans.”
“Dear lord.” Barbara rubbed the back of her head.
“My father wants to…restart the world in the same way. It starts here in Gotham. The most corrupt, plight filled city. Highest crime rate. Highest death per capita. Highest number of not only vigilantes but super criminals. Corruption in government so bad even the President won’t touch this damn hell hole. He thought by fixing Gotham…he could start a revolution never before seen. A plan decades in the making…”
“A battle of ideals then…” Selena mused. “Your war may tear the entire city apart.”
“A perfect excuse to secede from the union and become an independent city.” Kennedy smiled.
“You relish this.” Barbara smiled, trying to hide her disgust.
“And you don’t?” Kennedy grinned.
“I love it.” Barbara lied. “Where do we start?”
“We start here.” Kennedy said. She pointed at a map. “Word is Bane is a huge member of the League of Assassins.”
“That psycho? No way.” Talia shook her head.
“You’ve been cast out.” Cassandra offered. “I know my cousin became a cop of all things. Family dynamics change while you’re away. Who knows. Maybe your departure sparked something.”
“It’s true.” Helena spoke up now. “My brother is a lieutenant for the Bertinelli family to this day. And he saw my father and mother get gunned down by my uncle.”
“Wait.” Barbara stopped them. “We know Bane is based out of the Narrows.” Barbara noticed where Kennedy was pointing. “That’s Clarkyard.”
“My boyfriend assured me this is where his father believed Bane was.”
Selena chuckled.
“What is so funny?” Kennedy glared.
“Don’t tell me…the Court isn’t working together on the Bane situation.”
Kennedy glared. “I’ve been trying to form an alliance…but it’s every lieutenant for themselves right now.”
“Let’s show them what kind of ally you can be then.” Barbara grinned. “Let’s take down Bane.”
“I can find out where he’s located.” Jason offered.
“There’s a hit out for you.” Cassandra and Helena said at the same time.
“Damn…” Jason shook his head. “Oh! I have a contact that knows Babs too. Perhaps we send her–”
“No.” Kennedy shook her head. “The other Court of Owls have gone and hid their head under the sand. It’s about time we show them how things are done.”
“What do you mean?”
“It’s time to move out in the open more. Not just high security events. Wherever I want.”
“That’ll take extensive planning.” Jason and Barb said at the same time.
“I already sense something in the air.” Kennedy smiled. “My own little parliament.”
“What does that mean?” Talia turned her head.
“Parliament are what a group of owls are called.” Selena chuckled.
“So, we’re in agreement?” Kennedy said. “How about we pay this contact of yours a visit. We need something that says. ‘Fucking fear me.’”
Barbara smiled. “I like the idea. How about we learn more about the location first.”
Jason broke it down. There were few high-level contacts Jason had. One of them was an attorney by the name Harvey Dent. He had a lot of contacts across the legal circles. He lived in a condo across town. He was in Clarkyard. They found out through a Kennedy Contact that they could get blueprints if they had a contact in the government.
“Montoya.” Barbara pondered.
“She’d be able to do it.  We could also ask her partner.” Selena offered. “I’ll approach her.”
“We’re showing off our strength.” Kennedy shook her head. “Shock and awe people.”
“Not with this cop.” Selena shook her head. “She’s not worth the shock and awe. She’ll likely clam up if we do that to her. She’s…been on the case of the Court of Owls for a few months now. Her and Gordon. That’s their case…”
“Excuse me?” Kennedy glared. She looked down. “May have to handle that.”
“We can use them.” Selena shook her head. “We take either out we run the risk of starting a war with the Bats or the Birds.”
“Damnit…” Kennedy shook her head. “Fine. Go to her.”
And Selena did. And in a couple hours, while they discussed possible entrances, Montoya delivered the blueprints. Selena returned with the Viking Longship. Half hotel, half condo ownership. Harvey Dent was well connected to not only the court system but parts of the underground. Some hot shot lawyer with a shot at the District Attorney gig. Barbara couldn’t believe her father never mentioned him.
The plan would be simple. If they had the toys the Birds of Prey and the Batfamily had. But it could be worse. Kennedy March was old money. She got them in contact with a particular businessman. A young upstart company with a WayneTech cast off manning the project. Foxtecha, owned and operated by it’s CEO Lucius Fox. Mr. Fox would need to be approached first.
“Shock and awe?” Kennedy smiled.
“Shock and awe away.” Selena smiled.
“I agree.” Talia nodded. “This Lucius Fox needs to meet his place.”
“I have the option to add him to the Court.” Kennedy pondered. “I might be the envy of the Court after Jacob landed Wayne and Queen.”
“Billionaire playboy double whammy.” Barbara chuckled. “I think this little team you’ve created Kennedy will be the envy of everyone.”
“That confident?” Helena asked.
“She has to be.” Cassandra said. “She’s like us. Dangerous.”
Barbara smiled and nodded at Cassandra. “We all bring something to the table. How about we shock and awe the hell out of Mr. Fox?”
They nodded as they decided to corner him at his place of work. He worked late nights on various projects in his Foxteca HQ. He thought being in a skyscraper of his own granted him safety. Selena, Barbara and Jason snuck into the building with Selena’s “adventurer” gear.
“Thief indeed.” Barbara smiled.
“Shut up.” Selena rolled her eyes playfully.
They got to the roof, where a section had a whole open floor and helicopter landing pad. They took out the guards with ease. Sneaking up to each of them and choking them out. There were five guards and they were quick work for Selena, Jason and Barbara. Barbara felt weird doing this. But also exhilarated. Selena and Barbara began to locate Mr. Fox. They found the security room. Selena kicked the sleepy guard in the back of the head, knocking him out. They looked up at the monitors. There he was, relaxing on the same floor as the landing pad. It was incredible luck. There were no more guards on this floor.
They exited the security room and met Jason on the Helipad. The helicopter landed with grace. Outstepped Kennedy of the pilot’s seat. The rest of the team continued out of the luxury helicopter. They followed Kennedy to playroom Lucius had for himself. He was playing a game on his QueenStation. He said without looking behind him. “Report?”
When no one responded as they spread out around the room. Lucius paused his Gotham Knights game and turned around. His mouth hung agape at the ground of people in front of him. “I…what the hell is this?”
“You’re the Court of Owls new tech specialist…understand?”
“The Court is real!?” Lucius smiled. “And…they already want me?” Lucius held out his hand to Kennedy. “Ms. March? Can’t believe you won Playboy’s Miss April of all things.”
Kennedy chuckled. “Pleasure doing business with you.”