Ms. March

Kennedy March looked them up and down. Her guards were at the doors of her green room. There were police outside questioning people one by one. The assailant had been killed, bleed out. But they also were clearly League of Assassin members. Something that Kennedy seemed to recognize.
“So, what are you three with the League or something?” Kennedy glared, her perfect blue eyes and blonde hair a little too German for Batgirl’s taste. “Answer truthfully, I’m powerful than you can ever imagine.”
“What is this chick a super villain?” Barbara tried to cut a knife through the tension.
“I might be.”
“Listen. We’re just concerned citizens.” Talia shook her head. “Is that so damn hard to believe?”
“Yes.” One of her guards said. “This could just be an elaborate ploy.”
Barbara sighed and looked around. “Listen. We know… We know you’re a part of some…secret society. We’ve been following the likes of you for months… We want in.”
“It can’t just be for the elite. I mean. Look at us. We could probably take down your guards if we really wanted.” Selena offered.
“We can show her.” Talia said.
“Do it.” Kennedy smirked. “Kill them.”
Barbara was the first to move. She threw a glass of water at one’s face. She jumped up and lead with her knee to his face. He crumbled to the ground as Selena tripped another guard. She punched his face three times before he was out. Talia threw two daggers and killed the last two guards. Barbara had half the mind to say something but restrained herself.
“Wow.” Kennedy smiled. “What happens now?”
“You hire us as your bodyguards.” Talia shrugged. “Or we can kill you and disappear.”
“Doesn’t sound to reassuring.”
“We can be your biggest allies. Or your worst enemy.” Barbara shrugged. “You have a very simple decision to make. I’d make it quick if I were you.”
Kennedy laughed but thought on it. She shook her head and looked at her down guards. “I like having four or more bodyguards. Wouldn’t have to have a hidden fourth somewhere?”
“I know someone.” Barbara offered.
“Me too.” Selena said.
“I’m new to the city.” Talia shook her head.
“Bring them both and we’ll discuss this another time. I have a way out the back.”
Kennedy led them out the door and down a hall. They passed by several police checkpoints but weren’t stopped by either. They came across a simple supply closet. Kennedy placed a hand on a particular brick and a secret door opened. Selena whistled. It led to a small set of stairs they took down. They continued down a narrow hallway until it went back up. They exited and found themselves in the supply closet of a bougee shoe store next door. They exited, giving the cashier a knowing nod.
They entered a limo and Kennedy smiled at them as she grabbed a glass of champagne. “I have an apartment downtown. Can you meet me there?”
“Done.” Selena said. “I’ll bring my person. Aren’t curious about our names?”
“Selena Kyle.” Kennedy smiled. “Well known world traveler. A real tomb raider some would say. Then we got this beauty here. Barbara Gordon. Daughter of Lead Detective Gordon. Lastly, Talia al’Ghul. Not much is known about you. Besides your league ties.”
“How do you know that?” Talia glared.
“Wait you’re with the League?” Barbara pried.
“I was…” Talia shook her head. “Then I met a man…who changed my outlook on life.”
Talia had mentioned she trained with Bruce. Bruce was once a League member himself. Until he realized he couldn’t kill. That their way was not his way. Had Talia been a part of this life? How had Bruce never mentioned her before?
“I know.” Kennedy smiled. “In fact. We’ve been hoping to find talent like you three. There are birds and bats that closing in on the owls… We need all the help we can get.”
“Batman is missing is he not?” Selena asked.
“But he has little fools running errands for him. Robin and Batgirl appear to have been the only ones left. The one known as Nightwing has disappeared.”
“Bird?” Barbara pressed.
Kennedy smiled. “You know of owls and not these birds?”
“Rumors only.” Talia offered.
“Right. Birds of Prey they call themselves. Consisting of the Huntress, Flamebird, Black Canary, and their leader Catwoman.”
“Why give us all this information?” Talia glared.
“I have an eye for talent? Those four you so easily beat. Served me for eight or more years. Never have they let a single person within ten yards of me. I’d be stupid to take down an offer as yours.”
“Maybe we just want to use to get into the Court. An opportunity at lives we never had.”
“Being elite doesn’t just mean wealth.” Kennedy smiled. “For instance…Lady Blackowl is a an elite guard. One that earned her reputation as a legendary bodyguard.”
“This city is just filled with something isn’t it?” Talia pondered, mostly to herself.
“This has been a lovely chat. But I must drop you off.” Kennedy smiled and gestured towards the door. “I believe you live here. At least, last time we checked.”
Barbara gasped at the sight of her father’s place. “Damn. I actually moved out a couple months ago. But thank you. I have a ride here.”
Selena, Talia and Barbara all stepped outside of the car. They watched her drive away.
“Hmm.” Selena glared after her. “Something doesn’t feel quite right.”
“I know.” Talia agreed.
“Think it’s a trap?” Barbara asked. “She knew a lot but wasn’t quite updated on everything. If they know about each of our team members…and about Talia’s past…”
“Maybe the Court has put it together?” Selena asked.
“Babs!?” It was Jim Gordon.
“Selena?” This was Detective Montoya.
“Talia.” Talia smiled to herself.
Barbara turned her head at the sight. “Are you two on a date!?”
“Are you hanging out with globe trotter Selena Kyle!?” Jim asked with more shock than anything.
“We met at that ball.” Barbara said quickly. “Sort of hit it off.”
“I haven’t heard from you in days.” Jim kind of said with a tinge of sadness. “I…I missed you Babs. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you about Montoya and I.”
“Wait how do you know Selena?” Barbara asked Montoya.
“Old friends.” Selena smiled. “I knew her before I hit international fame.”
“Small, small world.” Talia mused.
“Well…” Barbara said awkwardly. “We actually came here to pick up my bike.”
“That’s yours!?” Montoya gushed. “You did amazing work bringing that old beast back to life.”
“Now hey.” Jim said. “That Jason kid did a lot of work to it too.”
Barbara grimaced at the hours of time she spent perfecting that bike. “Right.”
“Well, listen. We’d love to talk more.” Montoya said, taking the hint. “Jimbo and I were just about to head to the Iceberg Lounge.”
“What?” Selena chuckled. “That drug den?”
“We actually can definitively say…if there’s something illegal going on there. It’s being hid very, very well.”
“So the GCPD thinks Penguin has gone clean?” Barbara tapped her chin.
“See, there she goes again.” Montoya chuckled at Jim who shared some sort of inside choke.
“What?” Barbara blushed.
“You’re so interested in crime. Why don’t you…I don’t know go to college for criminology or something?”
“I was thinking more STEM related.” Barbara chuckled. “I already have my associates.”
“No way!” Selena gave Barbara a playful punch. “Congrats.”
“Yeah, I’ll only need like year and a half of concentrated work to get my Bachelor’s.” Barbara smiled. “Taking six months to really find myself. Not a luxury many people have. I already got accepted to spring quarters at GCU and…MU.”
“Metropolis!?” Jim smiled. “No kidding.” Jim always wanted Barbara away from the dangerous Gotham. “I…oh shit. Look at the time. Listen, Babs it was nice seeing you. We need to catch up. Father to daughter.”
“Of course, daddy.” Barbara smiled.
Jim gave them a wave and Montoya a nod. They walked away into the  garage. The women watched them leave too. Selena smirked and turned to Batgirl. “I loved this for you but I think I’ll take a LexLift to my apartment. Talia?”
“I’ll meet you there.” She threw something at the ground and disappeared into a puff of smoke.
“Whoa.” Barbara smiled. “Did you see that?”
“Yeah.” Selena smiled. “A real ninja. Just like Batman.”
“Batman is more than just a ninja.” Barbara chuckled.
Selena pulled out her phone and got her LexLift. As they waited they admired and talked about the WT Specter motorcycle. Barbara waved Selena away and then hopped on her bike. She headed towards the Belfry. As she drove she thought of her father and Montoya dating. What it meant that Montoya knew Selena. Was their relationship deeper? Perhaps while Gordon was Batman’s way into the GCPD. Montoya must be the girl squad’s in to the same police force. It would make sense. Montoya and Jim were cut from the same cloth. Despite the decade long age difference they clicked as soon as they meant. Barbara shivered not from the cold but the thought of Montoya becoming her step mom.
“Barbara?” The radio came into her helmet.
“Jason?” Barbara grimaced.
“Please report to the Belfry ASAP. I got…just get here.”
Barbara sped up and weaved in and out of traffic. She pulled into the old train station and went up the secret elevator to the top. She pulled her bike out and parked it next to the batcycle. They looked remarkably similar. Obviously the batcycle dwarfed the Specter but the fact they were made by WayneTech had to mean something.
Barbara looked around and didn’t see Jason around the Batcomputer. She went up the stairs in the back and to the lounge. Jason was on the couch rubbing his temples. He didn’t look at her.
“You know how stressed I was about you?” Still he avoided eye contact.
“I just...” Barbara started. “Stressed?”
“Yes!” Jason stood up and waved his arm. “What…what do you think I’m doing here? Stuck in the Belfry while you go off grid.”
“I just…” Barbara started again. “I had to work with what I was given. You wouldn’t support me. So…I supported myself. And I have an –”
“You could’ve reported in!” Jason glared.
“You’re not Batman.” Barbara glared.
“I…” Jason was taken back by the comment. “I know. I was worried. You…”
“I wouldn’t die. Not that easy.”
“We’re still squishy humans…” Jason shook his head.
“Hey…” Barbara thought on his worry. “I’m sorry okay? I didn’t mean to worry you alright? I just wanted to pursue something on my own. While you had to be sidelined.”
Jason grimaced. He nodded. “Right. Uhm. Tell me what you found out.”
Barbara filled him in on everything. From her time with Catwoman to this new mysterious woman, Talia. How she met Kennedy and might have an in with the Court of Owls. Jason then filled her in on what he and Red Arrow had been up to. They learned of a possible prison where Court of Owls members go to die. It was located in the middle of the desert in Arizona. Wonder Woman was out looking for Bruce, just in case. At the very least, they’d find prisoners sent to death by the Court.
“And Superman?” Barbara asked.
“Arrested Joker…but…he killed over twenty people before he was stopped…”
“Dear God…” Barbara gasped. “Anyone we know?”
Jason shook his head. He grimaced and looked down.
“What’s wrong Jason?”
“Promise me something.”
“What?”
“No matter what happens between us. Between us and Batman. That we stay a team.”
Barbara smiled. Her childhood friend had come a long way from stealing tires off of cars for his uncle. From foster care system to foster care system he managed to stay in contact with the only person who gave him a chance: Barbara Gordon.
“Babs?” Jason stepped closer.
Barbara wrapped him in a tight hug. “I promise. Speaking of…I need you help with something.”
Jason wrapped her in a tight hug.
“Jason?” Barbara gave him a light push and he let go. His hands though lingered, going from her shoulders to her hands. He held her hands. Her hands felt sweaty and she wanted to pull away. But she didn’t. Instead, she looked at Jason in the eye. He searched her eyes too. He leaned forward.
*Beep beep beep*
“Uh, must be the batcave.” Barbara pulled away. She went to the batcomputer and the image of Alfred and Dick killed any mood in the air. Jason walked up with a sigh behind her.
“Dick…Alfred.” Jason said.
“I see Batgirl has returned.” Dick smiled. “How’s it going Babs. Why’s your face so red?”
Barbara felt hot still. “I…we were just working out.”
Dick looked at the wind blown hair of Barbara and nodded. “I get it. Got to keep up on the body management. Listen. Alfred and I have an idea.”
“Not Operation: Knightfall.” Jason shook his head.
“But I can take the mantel! Just until he returns.”
“After the month. If he hasn’t returned by then…” Barbara shook her head. “Shit…” Barbara saw the clock at the bottom right corner.
“What?” Jason asked.
“Time to go Jason.” Barbara urged. “We got a date. Sorry Dick, Alfred. We have a lead and we need to take it. See you soon.”
“Babs wait!”
But it was too late. Jason and Barbara were already mounting their motorcycles.