The Ballad of Justice

Batman wasn’t in the Batcave when Batgirl returned. She got undressed and took a shower in the hot water of the batcave. She looked at herself in the mirror, bruises and the stab wound standing out against her pale body. She brought a shaky hand to her side and winced in pain. She shook her head and threw on a big t-shirt and some panties.
She walked barefoot back to the Batcomputer. She stared up at the beast and clicked it on. The facial recognition noticed her.
[Welcome Batgirl]
She grinned at the sight.
“What happens now Ms. Gordon?” It was Alfred behind her.
“There’s the Policeman’s Ball going on tomorrow night. I’m going to go to that. Where’s Batman?”
“Master Bruce is with Green Arrow on a mission of his own. I think their timetable to join the Court starts now, not later. I don’t know when he will return.”
Barbara peered at the computer, the Location of Batman showing he was back in the Narrows. “It’s…up to me then.”
“Ms. Gordon, I don’t like this ominous tone.”
“Help me find a dress Alfred?”
Alfred grimaced but together they designed a dress that was both flowing but functional. It had material they used in their caps as the material. It was a black dress that showed plenty of shoulder and back and flowed down almost to the ground. And she decided to sleep after all the commotion. She slept in a shitty chair where Jason and Dick were passed out in the infirmary. When she awoke Jason was sitting up. Barbara shook her head awake.
“You’re awake.” Barbara gasped.
“Yeah…” Jason looked at his broken arm. “Who the hell was that guy?”
“Joker. Some wild card the gang brought in. I assume to take down Bruce… Are you okay?”
Jason stood slowly, stumbling for a moment. “I hate this…”
“You’ll only be out for a month or so…”
Jason scoffed but smiled. “I’m still useful. I can man computer.”
Jason took a few steps towards Dick and gave the sleeping man a tap on the shoulder. “We’ll make it. Let’s go.”
Jason hobbled his way towards the Batcomputer. Barbara followed him not too close behind him. She bopped her mouth, making tapping noises with her mouth.
“What is it Babs?”
“Good to see you awake Jason.”
Jason sat at the computer and chuckled for a moment before the pain of it stopped him. “I…hehe, I’m glad to have woke up. thought I was going to die back there.”
Barbara put a light hand on his shoulder. “You ready to see a real hero in action?”
Jason chuckled. “Let’s get it.”
Barbara and Jason got to work. While she got ready he prepared the computer and the location the ball would be at. Batgirl arrived early to sneak into the place, planting both cameras and jacking into their CCTV. It wasn’t so closed any more.
When Batgirl returned to the batcave she got dressed for the occasion. She was ready in a few minutes and Alfred and Jason were waiting for her. Jason whistled in approval. “Damn, Babs. You clean up real good.”
Barbara blushed but nodded. “Right. Alfred? Ready to take me?”
“I’ll grab the car.”
Alfred hopped into the expensive sports car and Barbara got in next. She texted her father she would be there in a few minutes. He responded with a simple: k. Alfred drove fast and they were at the Policeman’s Ball before they knew it. Barbara exited the car and lights filled her eyes. She had been dropped off at the red carpet and never realized how blinding it might be.
“Miss! Miss! You’ve arrived in Bruce Wayne’s car with Bruce Wayne’s butler, does that make you an item?”
Barbara chuckled uncomfortably. “What? No. Just, friend of a friend set up my ride.”
“And you are ma’am?” A reporter asked.
“I’m Barbara Gordon. Detective Gordon’s daughter.”
The car drove off and she started walking. The cameramen and women were much more interested in the show of the next person who showed up: Oliver Queen arrived in a dapper green suit. He waved at the crowd and answered questions while Barbara continued inside.
She looked around at the massive gathering of people. She mingled with some cops that knew her as Jason reported those who arrived. The rich and powerful were here tonight. Not only that but a few guests from Metropolis, Central City and others. One of them was award winning journalists Lois Lane and Clark Kent. They were a sort of the celebrity it-couple in the news sphere. They had just landed a big interview with Lex Luther I and III.
Speaking of Lex Luther III arrived, his grandfather wasn’t to be arriving to this particular ball. Behind him a few other celebrities of Gotham. Including recently acquired number one overall pick Victor Stone. He was going to play for the Gotham City Knights. Jacob Kane later arrived with his daughter in tow. Last to arrive though got the lion’s share of attention.
“Bruce Wayne.” A woman’s silky voice said behind her. Barbara jumped but looked up at the woman in a skintight dress. She was beautiful, raven black hair and wicked grin. “Hey. I don’t see you come to these gatherings often. Do I know you?”
“Selena Kyle!” It was her father, Jim. “What brings a high flying globe trotter like you here?”
“I should’ve guessed. The red head queen’s father…is Lead Detective Jimbo Gordon.”
“Jim is fine.” Gordon grimaced. He looked his daughter up and down. “Surprised to actually see you here. Usually, you’re away doing…whatever the hell girls your age do.”
“Easy now Gordon.” Selena said. “I would watch your tongue with such a woman as your daughter. If she has even half the flame your wife had.”
Jim’s eyes narrowed. “I’ll be seeing you.”
Selena gave Barbara a wink before disappearing into the crowd of people. From the same direction a man watched her pass. Looking lower as her hips swayed. He turned and grinned at Gordon. “Jimbo! How’s my favorite beat cop doing?”
“Mr. Wayne.” Jim bowed. “Detective now.”
“I’m just busting your chops. Who is this fine young gal you got with you?”
“My daughter.” Jim smiled with pride. “I’d keep your eyes out for women your age though Mr. Wayne.”
Bruce gave her a stern glance but then flashed a smile. “Pleasure Ms. Gordon.”
“Barbara.” She smiled back. “Pleasure is all mine Bruce.”
He merely smirked before looking around. He zeroed in on some media types. “Lots of eyes at this party.”
“We have the police looking – oh you meant the paparazzi.”
Bruce saw Barbara nod as Gordon was looking around. “Yeah. Yeah. Listen Gordon, I’ve been meaning to ask you something of a more…professional manner. Can I get your ear?”
Wayne gestured for Gordon to follow. Jim looked at his daughter and then around at the crowd. “Behave yourself, girlie.”
“Of course dad.” Barbara smiled. “No get out of here. Go save Gotham one billionaire at a time.”
Gordon rolled his eyes but grinned. “See you later.”
“Later.”
Barbara watched him walk away and another voice had her jumping. “Hell of a guy.”
She turned quick to see the square jaw of a god. “Clark Kent. If it isn’t the award winning journalist. Ah! And this must be your girlfriend. Equally renowned Lois Lane.”
Barbara shook both their hands. Lois shook her head. “I’m dating someone else actually.”
Barbara looked Clark over and turned her head. “Do I know you from somewhere?”
“He gets that a lot.” Lois chuckled. “You’d swear he was everywhere all at once.”
The realization hit her. She smiled at him. “Didn’t happen to bring the man of steel with you?”
His eyes flashed for a moment before he too realized who he was talking to. “So, you’re Gordon’s daughter are you?”
“Lead Detective.” Barbara said with a finger up. “He won’t let you forget it.”
“If it was up to me, he’d be the Commissioner.” This voice, was that of a lawyer. The smug face and grin said it all. “Evening, Clark.”
“Harvey!” Clark smiled. “It has been too long.”
“You bring that amazon of woman with you?”
“Diana?” Clark asked. “I offered but she politely declined. Think she has a hot date with Lt. Trevor.”
“How an old man like that landed such a beautiful young woman is beyond me.”
“Money perhaps.” Lois rolled her eyes. “Clark. I see Lex. You good here?”
Clark nodded and Lois zeroed in on her target. She took off as fast as she arrived.
“Barbara.” Clark glared.
“Mr. Kent.” Barbara glared back.
“You two alright?” Harvey asked.
“Harvey.” Clark turned his attention away for a moment. “What’s the Gotham’s celebrity DA doing up this late? Don’t you have a date with a judge in the morning?”
Harvey grinned smugly and looked over his shoulder. He pointed with his thumb. “Speaking of. I got a party guest to attend to.”
Barbara and Clark then continued to glare at each other as the party moved around them.
“So…” Barbara grinned. “It’s you.”
“You’re younger than I thought…” Clark looked around and found Bruce. “How long has he been grooming you?”
“Just joined actually.”
“And the flying Grayson?”
“Injured.”
“I knew I should’ve been in the city. Kids getting injured these days.”
“I’m not a kid.”
“Last time I checked, brains stop growing at 25.”
“And when did yours stop? Boy scout?”
“Think that’s offensive?”
Barbara shrugged. “Don’t really care.”
Clark’s jaw tightened but he nodded. “I’ll be seeing you then…” He leaned in and whispered the next part. “Batgirl.”
“Supes.” She waved at him as he left.
“Clark Kent is Superman.” Her earpiece crackled.
“Careful.” Clark turned around. “Jason.”
“How does he know that?” Jason said into the earpiece.
“He’s the man of steel. And hell he’s friends with our boss.”
“Number one journalist in Metropolis too.” Selena’s voice came from behind her.
Barbara turned quick. “You’re real quiet Selena.”
“I try Barbara, I try. Listen…I’ve been hearing some good things.”
“Does everyone know who I am or something?” Barbara chuckled.
“Just the one’s that matter. Bats aren’t the only hero game in town…”
“You’re talking about Huntress.” Barbara turned her head.
“One of many.” Selena nodded. “She’d like to meet you.”
“I’m a bit busy.”
“Here.” Selena shoved a small radio transmitter into her hands. “Press it anywhere in the city. And we can meet up. Don’t bring the men please.”
Barbara looked down at her hand and quickly pocketed the device. “Thanks. What do I owe the pleasure?”
“You do good work…for a bat.” Selena walked off as she zeroed in on one Bruce Wayne. She interrupted an intense talk between Clark and Bruce.
Barbara continued to mingle with the crowd. After a while she found her target. Jacob Kane stopped mingling with a certain crowd and started talking to some woman about Barbara’s age. They continued to laugh and talk until eventually the woman left. That was when Barbara swooped in.
“Jacob Kane!” Barbara waved.
Jacob turned and grinned. “If it isn’t young Barbara Gordon. How’s it feel, being out and about with the rest of society?”
“Kind of hate it honestly.” Barbara lied. “Listen, it’s been a long time. We should catch up. Away from all these…social obligations.”
“I actually have another, much smaller get together after tonight? Maybe I could shoot you an invite.”
“Of course.” Barbara gave Jacob her number. He put it eagerly into his phone.
“You know. You just missed my daughter Bette.”
“Bette Kane.” Barbara thought on it. “I thought she moved out of town.”
“Not so much.” Kane shook his head. “Like Bruce she kind of…had to go on a tour of self discovery?”
“Bruce?” Barbara asked.
“Oh, sorry. My nephew. You know him as the playboy Bruce Wayne.”
“Ah, that Bruce.”
“You seem like just his type.”
“Ugh, gag.” Jason’s voice came through the earpiece.
“Too young for the old man I’m afraid.” Barbara said quite seriously.
“Trust me. I get it.” Jacob laughed. “Listen, I have other people I must speak to. But…keep in touch okay?”
Barbara gave him a wave as he too disappeared into the crowd.
“Might want to wrap it up Babs.” Jason said. “Dick is awake and I think you’ve done all you can as Barbara Gordon. We’re gonna need Batgirl soon.”
“On my way out.”