A Way In

Riddler had invaluable information on the Court of Owls. Members and some minor operations. The two they arrested made it out on bail and disappeared. “Not a flight risk my asshole,” Batgirl thought to herself. It didn’t matter though. The hierarchy of the Court was becoming clear. Somewhere there was a “Voice,” the leader of the Court of Owls. It had to be someone old and filled with the old blood and money.
So, far they had five of his apparent eighteen lieutenants. Jacob Kane, Richard Orchard V, Anne Powers, Herald Moody and one Kennedy March. Kane was in Kane Industries HQ in hiding. Orchard V, Powers, and March were a part of the list of missing. But one name stuck out. One that could lead them to the voice: Herald Moody. He was a runaway millionaire. Never mind he ran away at 17 and with several of his mother’s million-dollar jewelry.
He returned after years running heists across the world. And thanks to Selena Kyle, they knew exactly where he was. He was on his great grand father’s old mansion. It was in the same district as the Wayne Mansion. His was even further out of the main city though. Batgirl gave the data to the Batcave. However, Nightwing and Alfred refused to move on it. They were still locked down.
Thus, this mission was down to Batgirl and whoever else she could gather up. Who did that leave. The Birds and Bats not in the cave. Batgirl sighed at the thought of it all.
“Jacob Kane…” Red Arrow sighed. “Is that what you’re thinking about to?”
“It doesn’t add up.” Barbara shook her head. She took another scoop of her oatmilk, protein ice cream. “It’s just…how could Bruce miss something that big? His uncle? A member of the Court?”
“It’s a mystery to be sure.” Jason shook his head. “None of this shit is adding up. It feels…like we haven’t made any damn progress to finding the Court. Like we have the members and one lead. I know Batman said he had an in, I wish he would have told us at least a little bit more. This data was useful but only in discovering what they they do and how they rose. A lot of their current operation is pretty much scrubbed. Feels like Batman went missing at the wrong damn time.”
“Batman never meant to go missing.”
“Neither did Green Arrow.” Red Arrow sighed. “Soon it’ll be two months.”
They all grimaced. Batgirl pursed her lips. “I think I should call the birds.”
“No!” Red Arrow demanded.
The shock of the aggression silenced the room for what felt like an eternity.  Batgirl swallowed and looked to Jason for help.
“He’s right.” Jason said meekishly. “We can’t trust them Babs. We’d have a better time – ”
“It’s Batgirl.” Batgirl glared. “And I’m making a call on this. We have no other lead besides Moody. I’m using the resources I have to get the damn job done.
Red Arrow stepped in front of her.
“Out of my way Speedy.” Batgirl glared.
“It’s Red Arrow!” He let loose and punch. One that caught Barbara by surprise and she went flying backwards. She tucked and rolled onto one knee. She felt her jaw, the punch hard.
“You son of a –”
Jason stood up and tackled Red Arrow. They wrestled on the ground as Batgirl moved in. Red Arrow threw Jason off and tried to stand. His head was met with Batgirl’s left knee. He flew back and rolled. He didn’t get up.
“What the hell was that?” Jason screamed going next to Red Arrow’s side.
Batgirl popped her jaw. “Payback.”
Jason studied him. “He’s breathing. I don’t think you broke his neck.”
“I know what I’m doing Jason.” Batgirl glared. “I want him out of the Belfry before I return.”
“You’re not the boss!” Jason stood up tall.
Batgirl smirked. “Then stop me, boss.”
She turned and left. On her way down the elevator she called Catwoman. A sleepy voice answered her. “What do you want?”
“I’m ready to move on Moody.”
She was silent for a while.
“Well?” Batgirl asked as she sat on the Batcycle.
“I’m way ahead of you girl. Meet me at this address…” The phone went dead.
Batgirl checked the address, sighed and started driving out of town. What the hell was her game? Batgirl wondered as she sped through the city. A cop pulled up behind her and turned on it’s sirens. Batgirl turned toward them and then –
*bang, bang, bang*
Batgirl swerved as the police shot at her. She kept her head low and sped up. As fast as the Batcycle would let her go. She gained considerable distance in a few minutes. She passed by another speed trap on the Sullivan bridge. She lost them quickly too but they gave her some pot shots that had no hope of hitting their target. Batgirl sped out of town. She slowed as the curves of outer Gotham were various and sharp. She passed by Wayne Manor, but dared not stop there. Dick or Alfred might convince her otherwise. She already beat Red Arrow up for this opportunity.
Batgirl hopped off the Bike a few meters away from the house. She circled around as the bike went into stealth mode. She found a perch in a large tree. She used her AR in her cowl to zoom in three times. She didn’t see anyone moving in the mansion. But they also appeared to be frosted windows. She saw a balcony and grapple hooked up to it. She swung herself up and the door swung open.
“Batgirl!” It was Catwoman. Rather it was Selena Kyle in a very tight, small black dress. She was either acting drunk or was drunk. Judging by the smell on her mouth, she just might be drunk. Batgirl shook her head as Catwoman led her in. “Glad you called I was actually…reminded that I have work to do. You see, the Birds found the same set of data you did. The thing is, as you might know, I have a connection with Moody. We were both world touring thieves.
“Aren’t you still a thief?” Batgirl asked playfully.
“Oh-ha.” Catwoman smirked. “Anyways. I come over here and he starts swooning over me. And I’m here thinking, this man is kind of cute.”
“You didn’t!” Batgirl slaps her forehead. “Please, please, please…tell me I’m not about to…”
Batgirl trailed off as Catwoman opened the door. Inside, it smelled like sex and what Batgirl had to assume was lube. She looked around at the scene of clear, rough sex. But in the middle was a blindfolded man…tied to a chair.
“Selena?” The man said with a coy smile. “How long you gonna make me wait baby?”
“Coming right to you hun.” Catwoman looked at Batgirl and grinned. Drunk for sure. “Well, I brought a naughty guest.”
“Oh did you?” Herald Moody smiled. “Is she here for…”
Batgirl sighed and rushed up to the man. She grabbed the blindfold and ripped it off.
“Ah!” Catwoman sighed. “Spoil sport.”
“What the hell!? Who are you? Guar –!” Batgirl punched him in the throat. He started having a coughing fit. Batgirl rolled her eyes as she waited for him to stop. He had tears in his eyes. “What…what do you…want.” The words were stressed and raspy. 
Catwoman sat on the bed nearby and started drinking another glass of wine. “You’re a member of the Court aren’t you?”
“I was!” The man cried. “Is that what this is about? The fucking Court? I swear it was only when I was younger. I lost my membership when I left okay?”
Batgirl placed a thumb in his rib and pushed hard. The man screamed in pain.
“Ooo, they’ll think that was a kinky one.” Catwoman chuckled, pouring more wine.
“Could you not?” Batgirl asked stepping back from the man.
Catwoman sighed and stood. She threw her glass and it broke on the hardwood floor across the room. Batgirl sighed and looked down at the little man. He crossed his legs tight, trying to hide his penis. Batgirl understood this at least. She looked him over and tapped his head.
“Okay. The truth.”
“I…I am a member.” The man sobbed. “I don’t know much…I-I swear.”
Batgirl stood and uppercut his outer thigh. Once again the screaming started.
“Ow! Fuck, what the hell kind of –”
Again she uppercut his thigh, over and over again. The man understood and instead whimpered when she was done. Batgirl nodded and waited for him to look up at her.
“That was your leg. You’re nude, imagine what I can do to the family jules. It’s not killing you, before you say Bats don’t kill.”
“Cats do…” Catwoman hiccupped.
“I…” The man shook his head. “Shit! …Shit! Shit! Shit!”
Batgirl sighed and moved forward.
“NO wait!” The man shook his head. “I…I’ll tell you everything you. I just…ask me something.”
“Who’s your boss?”
“I don’t have a boss per –”
Batgirl punched him in the throat quickly again. He erupted into more coughing. “Remember our deal about the balls.”
“I…” The man wheezed out. “His name…is Jacob. That’s all I know…”
“How do you not know more?”
“He wear’s a mask okay?” The man shook his head. “We all do. General members don’t have any idea who I am either.”
“How many ranks are there?” Batgirl pressed.
“Uh….uh, eight I think. I’m a 2. Boss man is a 1.”
“So, you’re high up?” Batgirl wasted a question she already knew.
“Yes, and I can make you very rich. If you just stop this.”
“Deal!” Catwoman laughed in an unserious tone to match her unserious offer.
“You couldn’t pay me enough.” Batgirl shook his head. “Crime has no price tag.”
“It…” Moody started.
“Bail and fees.” Catwoman asked. “There’s literally a price for crimes.” 
“Damnit.” Batgirl gave Catwoman an exacerbated look. “Selena, could you help me out here?”
“Right.” Catwoman pursed her lips. “Try the ball hitting thing until he reveals all the lieutenants.”
“I don’t…” Batgirl stood and he flinched. “Alright! I…it’s… I don’t actually know.”
“How can you –”
“It’s the masks!” Moody cried out. “I told you this already. We all wear masks. It’s to prevent shit like this from happening.”
“He’s useless. We already know about Kane.”
“Jacob Kane is the Voice!?” Moody burst out. “All I knew was his first name…no it makes sense. He’s…he’s powerful, intimidating for sure.”
“We need you to lure him here.” Catwoman said, strolling over to him.
“I can’t do that to a fellow member.”
“Get him here or I let Catwoman toss you out the window.” Batgirl bluffed.
“Bats don’t…” The man looked at a smiling Selena Kyle in a dress. “Oh my god. You’re Catwoman???”
“No, I’m going to have to toss you out the window for sure.” Selena chuckled. “Thanks for more clean up Batgirl.”
Batgirl blushed. “Sorry Selena.”
“It’s fine. To be honest, I thought he knew. That’s why he let me in. I was prepared for it.”
“Happy accident.” Moody shrugged. “Now…I’ve told you everything…maybe let me go.”
“Call Jacob Kane!” Batgirl demanded.
Moody sighed. “Give me my phone.” He gestured toward the side of the bed and there it was. A black WayneTech 2301 cellphone. Batgirl looked through the contacts and found Jacob Kane. She dialed it and turned on speaker.
“Mr. Moody! What’s my favorite womanizer doing?”
“Uhm. I…got a new girl here. Rare. From that place you always wanted.”
“A Korean girl!?” He sounded excited.
Moody turned his head. “No…I uh. It’s the Russian doll you asked for.”
Barbara glared at Catwoman, she mouthed the word: “Code?”
Catwoman nodded. She walked up to him and chopped him in the back of the neck. The force of the attack knocked him out in an instant. The phone fell to the ground.
“Moody, still there? Do I need to send some flowers?” Kane chuckled. But then there was a long pause and Batgirl for a moment thought she could just hear him breath. “I don’t…know who’s listening to this. But know you are reaching your hand into a dangerous pot here. And I won’t stand for it. You may have found a lieutenant. But that’s just the first part of my problem. The last of yours starts…now.”
The line went dead. 
“We need to get out.” Barbara said.
Catwoman nodded she reached under the bed and pulled out a small bag. She slipped into what appeared to be an elastic onesie. She snapped her whip at a man coming through the door.
“Escape plan?”
“Window?” Batgirl pointed.
The looked at the window as they heard more stomping footsteps.
“Window.” They said in unison as they sprint towards the window. They jumped forward. The glass broke with ease, shards flew out and down as the crisp air hit their face. It was a lovely night to almost die. When they landed in the grass they just started sprinting towards where the Batcycle was. They hopped over a fence and turned around. No one was chasing them.
“What does it mean?”
“Shit…” Batgirl sighed. “We’re not the targets.” A loud gunshot confirmed the theory. “They’ve been compromised… I think Kane is cleaning house.”
“Meaning?” Catwoman hiccupped.
“It’s an old spy tactic. Assume all are compromised when one is. He’s gonna have new lieutenants before we know it!” Batgirl shook her head.
“And we’ll find them.” Catwoman grabbed her shoulder and gave her a reassuring nod. “Now…let’s get the hell out of here.”