Fear of Change

With a very simple display of power, Kennedy seized control of the Voice. She smiled as she waved at the crowd. They held a vote, every stayed in the rafters, just in case. They voted on who should be the Voice. Surprisingly, about 1/3 of them still wanted Jacob Kane but despite a closer race early on. Kennedy clearly won the vote. Jacob Kane was led away.

"Wait!" Kennedy declared as owls were leading the form Voice away. "Send him to Blackgate. Pin a crime on him."

The crowd erupted in cheers again as they nodded and left with the one armed Kane. A podium and mike was placed in front of Kennedy she cleared her throat and spoke. "It's a new age in Gotham." More cheers from the crowd. "The Owls have done things a certain way for decades. But all it has done is make Gotham a dangerous place to live for everyone. Sure it worked out well for us...but we all know the story of the Waynes. Gunned down in Crime Alley, leaving their son orphaned. And that man grew into a man who refuses to kill." She gestured towards Bruce. "Bring this man ceremonial robes."

There was a robe brought to the thin Bruce Wayne. He nodded with a smile as he dressed himself in the large cloak.

"Now!" Kennedy smiled, she was handed a mask. "Mr. Wayne. You are about to join one of the most secret societies in all of the world. Will you join us in making Gotham a safer place?"

Bruce stood tall and nodded. "We can change Gotham. And we will."

The crowd erupted in cheers. Batgirl scanned the crowd and highlighted the dissenters. As the vote went, about a third of them didn't like this one bit. Batgirl worried about the implication. Would they listen to new Voice? They better, Kennedy has a team behind her not previously seen. Talia stood close to Bruce and Kennedy. She too was studying the crowd.

Kennedy continued. She spoke of new eras and a strong central council. One that could give checks and balances to the power of the Voice. She called for an official Council. When it was decided they were for this. More voting began. Everyone waited patiently. While the city may dip into chaos tonight. It was imperative that they protect Kennedy March. What felt like an eternity, they all started to disperse. Some came up to Kennedy and talked to her. Some had threats, most had words of encouragement. They would return in a month to officially vote on the candidates. It was decided there would be eleven members of the Council. And the Voice has no say in who is put in charge there.

Ideally they would help run this new Court of Owls better. They had to. Enough with the carnage. Batgirl grinned at the idea that Bruce was a part of this all. Years as the Batman and Bruce is the one who took the largest step today.

Kennedy and Talia lingered and talked with each other. Batgirl stood and sighed. "We better report back to the apartment."

"Agreed." Nightwing said.

They all disappeared the way they came in. Sneaking by guards and traffic of those leaving. As they all left the building they waited on one of the ledges. They smiled as they watched the sun rise. It had been one of the longer nights of their career. Robin cleared his throat and looked around.

"Well, what now?"

"Gotham is a changing city..." Batgirl shook her head. "But we can still have to stop the League of Assassins."

"Not an easy task." Nightwing shook his head.

"We got Kennedy to become an ally. We still have Riddler and Penguin as assets. It's time we take this city back from the crazy." Batgirl shook her head.

"Where do we start?" Huntress asked. "The possibilities seem so wide open right now."

"We still need to protect Kennedy. Shifts of three still. She's in even more danger than before. Kane had Kane Industries HQ as a haven. Where do we hide Kennedy now?"