Rising

One week later...

"So, where we at here?" Barbara strolled up to Kennedy as she worked at the corkboard.

"I got word from the Council. Only two of the three recruits made it..." Kennedy grimaced as she stared at the League leads board. Images splattered of people clad in ninja attire. Blurry images, quick disappearances. They were quick, efficient, and seemed to know where every camera in the city was.

Barbara then noticed the worry on Kennedy's face. "What's wrong Kennedy?"

"Two out of three. Know what happens if you don't pass the Owl's rite of passage?"

"I imagine it involves...some sort of 'accident.'" Babs didn't dare think Green Arrow and Batman couldn't make it. But that also meant that someone might need help.

Kennedy nodded her head.

"Where?" Babs asked.

"What?" Kennedy sniffed. She now looked at Barbara. "No, I couldn't tell you that."

"He doesn't deserve to die Kennedy... I think you know that."

Kennedy grimaced, "There are rules. Rules I can't change."

"You mentioned every three years...you not only vote in new members but a new Voice."

"So?"

"Their word is law?"

Kennedy smirked and shook her head. "It'd never work. I'm too young."

"Sometimes the unprecedented is just was an old aging...losing side."

Kennedy glared at Barbara. "Be careful what you say next Babs."

"How many members...bodyguards, personnel have you lost since this war started?"

Kennedy glared but then relaxed. "Maybe you're right. But how would saving this third member do us any good?"

"Because it's the right thing to do." Barbara smiled.

Kennedy looked around. They were alone. Jason was showering and Cassandra was working out. It was Barbara's turn to guard her. Even here, where they were certain it was secure. "What do you think your little criminal crew would say?"

"Hmm." Barbara feigned. "Talia might disagree. But even she might see the advantages to have a billionaire to our favor."

"A new faction..." Kennedy grinned. "He's going to be so grateful."

"We just need to know who...and we can save them. Bring them here."

"No." Kennedy shook her head. "This is my home. Is there a location you can take him."

"We'll find one." Barbara nodded.

"Bruce Wayne..." Kennedy grimaced. "He plays stupid but I sensed so much more in that man. I can't believe he failed to pass the test..."

"Where will his accident be?"

"His home. Wayne Manor."

Barbara could barely hold in her smile. That was the best possible way to save Bruce. His home turf. "I got to go. Secure it before they..."

"You'll be too late." Kennedy shook her head. "Shit! He lives out of town."

"I'll make it." Barbara glared. "Tell Jason where I'm going. Cassandra!"

Cassandra appeared, sweating in her yoga pants and sports bra. "What?"

Jason walked out of the shower half-dressed. He was throwing on his shirt as he walked out.