Owls or Bats?

They sat in the Batcave while Alfred attended to Bruce. Bruce spoke of his experiences while this happened. Everyone found a seat to listen in. The many seats of the Batcave making sense for once.

Bruce and Oliver went in together. Brought to a dark room with a third, some woman named Yolanda. When the lights were turned on, they found themselves stripped naked. Handcuffed in front of these people in cloaks and owl masks. They questioned them for hours. It felt endless. They threw them in a cell. Fed a slice of toast, some butter, a handful of jerky, and a gallon of water, they wouldn't be alive. Bruce didn't recall how long this lasted. The Batfamily had no idea how to gauge it either.

Bruce told them of the physical challenge. They were all tasked with doing something of some physical feat. Being weak, none of them could complete the task. And the farther you got the more dangerous failure was. But this challenge eventually passed. First by Bruce, then Oliver and then Yolanda. Thus began their final trial.

"It was a simple task." Batman shook his head. "Kill the criminal."

"Oliver wouldn't be afraid to kill in a pinch like that." Barbara thought on it.

"This is where I failed... I wasn't good enough to be an owl. I should've figured."

"Why didn't you just kill the criminal?" Jason asked.

Barbara grimaced, waiting for an answer. She knew she'd agree with whatever Batman had to say. Batman grimaced. "I thought about it. When the food stops. The hunger sets in. All I had to do was pull the trigger... But I couldn't."

"What happened to that criminal?" Dick asked.

"I don't know. I was taken back here eventually. I thought I had died of hunger. Returning home..." Batman shook his head. He took a drink from the smoothie Alfred prepared him for. "It's been a long time. I...never thought I would be tested the way I was. For that amount of time. Four months about?"

Barbara nodded. "And we've been up to our own things. Trying to find you. Retrieve you from the clutches of the Owls."

"Be we also found an in." Selena interjected.

Batman glared at her. "Selena. I'm still not comfortable with some of the lot you have found yourself in."

"What do you know, old man?" Helena scoffed.

"Huntress." Batman squinted. "Helena Bertinelli. Assassin is the biggest red flag."

"She's turned around." Talia offered.

"Talia al'Ghul. Known League of Assassin's member. Daughter of it's founder."

Barbara sighed. "Bruce? Do you mind?"

Batman glared at her. "Okay. Finish your report."

"We followed a few leads." Barbara shook her head. "Our most valuable being this team Kennedy March created."

"March Owl?"

"Yes, but she's different." Jason attested.

"Not possible. She's a killer, a dangerous member of an underground society."

"We convinced her to come save you!" Barbara stood up.

"Sit down Batgirl." Batman demanded.

Barbara was taken aback but did sit. "She's an ally. Just like the Riddler and Penguin are."

"Are we sure Riddler isn't playing you?" Batman asked.

"Hey." Selena stepped in now. "Bruce, your team has been firing on all cylinders since you disappeared. What more do you want from them?"