Recovery

Batgirl jolted awake, then quickly flinched forward as a sharp pain in her lower abdomen had her screaming. She looked down to see blood, only a bit come the wrap around her waist. She was in her sports bra and pants. She sat up slow, careful with the apparent stitches. She looked around to see Jason and Dick wrapped in much more complex riggings.
Alfred came walking in with a bloody apron. He was taking it off as he made eye contact with Barbara. “Ms. Gordon, Bruce might be proud if not worried you’re not quite healed.”
“If Batman can do it.” Barbara grimaced, “So, most Batgirl.”
“Quite…I cannot just leave Mr. Todd or Mr. Grayson. Suffice to say, Batman may still be in the cave, should you hurry.”
Batgirl nodded and stood slowly. She found the top to her outfit and squeezed in. She dared not scream, or even grimace in front of Alfred. He watched grimly as she rotated her shoulders in a damaged bat suit.
“You might want to grab your back up gear ma’am.”
Batgirl took the outfit off slowly. “Right.” She wanted to scream in pain but didn’t. She merely nodded and limped over to the other suits a room away. Alfred, true to his word, didn’t follow. Barbara found the back up Batgirl top. It form fitted across her stomach in the worst ways. But she also knew just how useful the suit could be to help her heal. And kept it safe from the potential harm that may be coming her way.
Batgirl limped into the Batcave and looked around. Batman was fully dressed as well.
“You’re not ready.” Batman simply said.
“That’s not your call, Bruce.”
“Barbara.” Bruce turned to Barbara. But his eyes narrowed as Batman glared Batgirl down. “You’re sitting this one out.”
“I’m fine.” Barbara gritted her teeth.
“Batgirl. I almost lost Robin and Nightwing tonight. Don’t make me worry about losing the third.”
“Then you best keep an eye on my back. And I’ll do the same for you. I wouldn’t want them to wake up to a dead father…” Batgirl gulped.
Batman sighed. He looked towards the back of the Batcave, the direction of the makeshift infirmary. “Father…you know I am not your father.”
“My father is Jim Gordon. You’re Jason and Dick’s father though. In a lot of ways. Didn’t you adopt Dick?”
Batman grimaced. “I guess…I never thought of it that way.”
“That you’re mortal too?” Batgirl stepped forward. “Well, you are. Same as me. So, we can either fight together, or separately. We can’t sit on our asses. Or…we can get to work hunting down the Joker.”
Batman nodded. “Joker mentioned something about being ninjas and not owls. Ollie and Bruce have an official trial next month.”
“So, the owls are still on the table…” Batgirl shakes her head. “What do you think the Riddler is trying right this instance?”
“Plotting an escape?”
“Do you think he’ll succeed?”
“From Blackgate? Yes.”
“What if we…use him.”
“How?”
“Play into his ego. We can call him a hero and he may just…want to show off as a hero. That would only benefit us right?”
“I think you should take lead on that.” Batman nodded.
“What?” Batgirl gasped.
“You go after that lead. I think you can convince him to join us. I on the other hand. Can prepare with Green Arrow on a plan once we’re in.”
“I’ll see you soon, Bruce.”
“Barbara.” Batman nodded.
Batgirl left, taking her batcycle. It was lighter but much faster than the ones Nightwing and Robin had. Hers would go much faster with her smaller mass on a small nimble bike. Her cape snapped in the wind. The waterfall parted for a small sliver of space. She slid through with ease. On her drive she spoke with Montoya on Batgirl’s idea. She considered it crazy enough to work. They’d meet at Blackgate.
Batgirl quickly found her way to Blackgate. She got off her bike and went right to the back door. Once again Montoya came through for Batgirl. She greeted her with a wave. Montoya grimaced when she realized she was alone.
“Just the Batgirl?”
“That’s all we need.” Batgirl said with a wave of her hand.
Montoya continued through the back path into Blackgate. There were various cops and guards nodding at Batgirl. Her side was screaming at her to slow down but Montoya was walking fast. As they rounded the last corner they found the Riddler’s cell. Dingy but had various drawings on the wall.
He was laying in bed tossing a ball into the air in a very peculiar way. When it went up and back down he would curse or give a little hurray of completion. He stopped and the ball bounced off his hand and across his small cell. It rolled behind the toilet.
“Need someone to play catch with Edward?” Batgirl asked.
“What’s lady bat doing here?” Riddler sat up. He leaned in. “Come to foil my escape plot.”
“Here to tell you I want you on my team.” Batgirl said plainly.
Riddler stood and turned his head. He looked at the drawings on the wall. “You’re just trying to make a fool out of me.”
“Come on Nigma…” Batgirl saw a flinch in his eye. “Or should I say Doctor?”
Riddle chuckled. “Riddler to you.”
“Okay Riddler.” Batgirl nodded. “I show you respect, can you do the same and face me?”
Riddler met her gaze and walked straight up to the cell bars. He leaned on them and looked at Montoya. “Mind giving us space?”
Montoya gave Batgirl a look but shrugged. “Fine. Not like we don’t have cameras placed on you.”
“It’s a matter of respect!” Riddler shot back at her as she walked away, flipping him off.
“You can help us…can’t you?” Batgirl glared.
“I could. But why would I?”
“Riddler you have a double major, a masters and eventually a doctorate.”
“Riddle me this Batgirl. What’s the –”
“Enough with the games Riddler. Yes, or no. Final offer.”
Riddler grinned. “Riddle me this Babs…”
Batgirl took a step back. “So, you know my first name – ”
“Daughter to a…” Riddler leaned in and mouthed the final word: Detective.
“Stop.” Batgirl demanded. “What else do you know?”
“Why would I help you?”
“Because you can become the hero you always dreamed.”
“I never dreamed of being a hero…”
“You were a professor once, weren’t you? Theoretical physics. You taught students how to thrive. How to survive at Gotham U.”
“And how would you know that?”
“I get around.” Batgirl shrugged. “So, we know about each other’s past. How about we stop playing grab ass and get some crime fighting done… Partner?”
Batgirl extended her arm out for a handshake.
“One condition.” Riddler smirked.
“Sorry, just me.” Batgirl shook her head.
“You misunderstand. This is what I want. Us. Me and you. A real Clarice meets Hannibal kind of thing.”
“Is that a reference to something?”
“Not much of a movie buff then.” Riddle shrugged. He extended his arm out and gave Batgirl a shake of her hand. “Pleasure.”
“I need information Riddler.” Batgirl said.
“And I need a bigger cell.”
“I can’t change things over night. I’ll work on a specialized cell for you. How does that sound?”
“A start.”
“Good.” Batgirl’s eyes narrowed. “How about this then… What do you know about the new Robin?”
“Ah!” Riddler tapped his nose. “I was the one who found out he is Jason Todd…” A slow realization came across his face. “Oh…I see. They moved on him didn’t they? Is that why you are walking with an ever so slight limp?”
“Who else do you know?”
“I know your identity. Can’t believe your father hasn’t yet. I have yet to crack the others.”
“Who did you tell about me?”
“I was saving it for a rainy day.”
“It stays with you. If you want to continue to work together.”
“Deal.”
“Perfect. So, what else can you tell me?”
Riddle tapped his chin. “I have a swell of data. But don’t think I’ll reveal my full hand until it’s useful. I’m sure you understand. I need specifics.”
“Give me a lead on the one they call the Joker and why he’s working with the league.”
Riddler’s eyes got wide. “They called in…Joker?”
“Who is he and what does he want?”
Riddler shook his head. “Joker is…is merely an agent of chaos. But he can sow so much of it. He just showed up on the grid one day. Took down several organizations in Metropolis, Central City. But it was all a showcase. So he could operate here in Gotham. Did…you meet him?”
“You noticed I’m limping didn’t you?”
“Did…he get his target?”
“The status of Robin is not part of our dealings. Alive or dead.”
“Smart…” Riddler nodded. “As far as I know. The Joker isn’t working for whoever hired him. He essentially works for himself. If he’s working with the League of Assassins…it could only be he’s working some other angle.”
“What about the assassins?”
“They’re here to fight the owls. As far as I know. It’s going to be a war in the very shadows of Gotham.”
“A war…” Batgirl shook her head. “How do I get in with the owls?”
“The Court of Owls is no small feat of engineering. They’re old. Pre-colonial old. They’re the rich and powerful. A real-life Illuminati.”
“Assassins, owls…” Batgirl sighed. “Where can I begin?”
“Jacob Kane and Bruce Wayne.”
“What about them?”
“My intel shows they aren’t a part of the owls…but they’re going to be soon. Perhaps you can get an in man? I suggest Kane. Wayne is a bit of a playboy with no sign he’s smart enough to be more than a pocketbook for the owls.”
“Anything else you’re willing to tell me?”
“Good luck.” Riddler gave her a wave as he strolled over to his bed. “I’ll be waiting on my new cell. Before I speak again.”
“Noted.” Batgirl said as she left.
She had learned enough. She knew Kane was Wayne’s uncle. They’d have to move quick. If he, on top of Bruce, was being recruited by the court? That could only spell great doom for him should he say no. They have to make sure he says yes and stays safe.
Montoya met her at the end of the hall. “So… he knows who you are. Knows who Robin is.”
Batgirl merely blushed and looked down. “Don’t tell my father…”
Montoya rubbed the back of her head and sighed. “I don’t like it. But Riddler becoming an informant is one of the biggest wins I’ve had in a while.”
“He’ll be nothing more than an ally before we know it. Just gotta keep stroking his ego and he’ll be like putty in our hands.” Batgirl grinned.
“I look forward to working with you again Batgirl. Is there anything else I can do for you?”
“Jacob Kane.” Batgirl said without thinking. Could she move without Bruce? “I need to contact him.”
“There’s the governor’s ball. I’m working on security for that detail. Is there a way perhaps…your father could land you an invite?”
Batgirl smiled. “He’s always wanted me to go out more