17: Nearest Organ

seventeen

I'd already been at the hospital for four or so hours now. Right when I arrived, the doctors took nearly fifteen different tests.

"How do you feel?" Nurse Amy, the same nurse who has came into my room every thirty minutes to check the monitors, asked.

"Worse than I look." I shrugged with a small smile.

"What's your pain right now?" She returned the smile. "What would you rate it one to ten, ten being the worst?"

"An eleven, but it's manageable, I guess." I pressed my lips into a straight line. Amy only frowned as she wrote down on her clipboard. "Do you think I have any chance of surviving this?"

She obviously wasn't expecting a question like that. "I - uh, I.." She kept opening her mouth like she was going to speak, but she never said anything other than I and Uh.

"Right, sorry. I shouldn't have asked." I perched my lips as I looked at the ceiling.

Amy stayed silent while she continued to fill out my charts, "I'll be back in a half hour, miss Gilbert."

I knew that the doctors and nurses were all worried, because usually patients only get checked on every four or five hours, sometimes longer. So, if they're checking on me every half hour, something must be really wrong with me.

"When will my results be back?" I asked as she opened the door.

"Shouldn't be more than another hour." She nodded once before leaving.

Damon, Stefan and Elena all came back into the room. "Jenna said she'll be here as soon as she can. She was with a client when I called."

I only nodded at her. I didn't like looking at Stefan or Elena directly, they both had this look in their eyes like they were just waiting for me to die. Damon was acting like nothing was actually wrong with me, which I preferred over the sad stares.

"So, did you catch that game last night?" Damon smirked as he sat in the chair to my side.

"I happened to be unconscious all night, but I'm pretty certain there wasn't any games last night." I smiled at him.

"Just trying to start a conversation, the mood in this room happens to be very.. bleh." He stuck his tongue out to make the Bleh noise.

I looked at Elena and Stefan briefly. Elena was sitting in the corner of the room, and Stefan was standing by the door. The only time Elena would look away from the floor, was to glance at me or glare at Stefan, and Damon. Stefan's eyes only left me was to glance at Elena, or glare at Damon. Damon's eyes stayed on me basically the whole time.

I looked at the couple, or ex's, I'm not sure, and then looked at Damon.

"Oh," he whispered, leaning towards me. "Elena is angry at Stefan because he won't tell her his secret, and both of them are angry at me because I won't give you my blood."

"Oh." I nodded. "Did you talk to any of the nurses while you were in the hall?"

"Why? Jealous?" He smirked, leaning back in his seat.

"I meant about me." I laughed, pointing to my stomach.

"I definitely wouldn't get a date if only talked about you. They'd probably think your my girlfriend or something." He shook his head, still smirking.

I continued to laugh, "I don't mean did you flirt with them, I mean did you compel any of them to tell you about my situation."

"Oh, you should really be more specific." His smirk turned into a smile, getting a glare from Stefan. "None of them knew anything yet. They're still waiting for your results."

"Alright." I nodded again, just as Elena's phone started ringing.

"Hello?" She answered, "I'm at the hospital with Damon and Stefan... The room is 102... Yes, on the first floor... Yes, she's alive... Okay, bye."

"Who was that?" I asked, watching as she shoved her phone in her pocket.

"Jeremy." She stood, "him and Jenna are on there way. And he said that Bonnie, Tyler, Matt and Caroline will visit you when you get home."

"Okay." I sighed, "does Caroline have to go?"

"Blair, that's rude." Elena slightly glared.

"Hey, there's a chance I could die, I get a free pass." I smiled.

"Whatever." She shook her head, smiling as well. "I'm going to go outside and wait for Jenna and Jer."

A few minutes after Elena left the room, Doctor White and Nurse Amy came in.

"We are going to have to ask your friends to leave to discuss your results." Amy stated.

"It's fine, they can hear it." I sat myself up a bit more.

"Unfortunately, we can't read your results with anyone who isn't family in the room." Doctor White spoke, his eyes looked as sad as Stefan's.

"But if I say it's okay -"

"Blair, it's fine. We'll be just outside." Damon said, tapping his ear as he pushed Stefan out of the room.

"Okay, miss Gilbert." Amy started, looking at her clipboard. "It seems that when you left the hospital a few days ago, you didn't properly clean around your stitches before you placed a new bandage on. That's why we think you got your infection in the first place."

"Okay.." I said, waiting for her to continue.

"If you were to have came in the day after your surgery, we would have been able to give you some medication that would have got rid of the infection itself." Amy continued. "But, since you waited so long, the infection has spread, making it impossible for medication to help."

"Spread?" I asked, "spread to where?"

"The nearest organ." Amy stated quickly.

"Which is?"

"The infection has spread to your heart." Doctor White spoke for the first time. It was the first time he actually looked at me since he walked in also.

"Well, what does that mean? You can fix that right? Do another surgery? Go in and -" I started to feel like I was choking.

"If it had spread to one of your kidneys, or to any other organ, we would have been. But, your heart - if we attempt to do the procedure on your heart, you wouldn't make it off the table." Doctor White sighed. "There isn't anything we can do, besides give you pain meds."

"And if you don't do anything? What's going to happen?" I looked at the ceiling quickly, to stop my eyes from getting watery.

"You'll die." Amy murmured, looking at ground. "If you have the surgery, you'd die. If you don't, you'll die. There's nothing we can do."

"And how long would you say I have?" I bit my lip, wiping my eye with the back of my hand, again, trying to stop it from getting watery, but failing.

"A week at most." Doctor White said. I opened my mouth to say Oh, but nothing came out. No noise at all. "We wish we could do something. I can't explain how sorry I am, Miss Gilbert."

One tear fell from my right eye, but it didn't make it farther than my cheek before I wiped it away. I only nodded. I didn't know what to say. Nothing I could say would make the doctors be able to do something..

//

AN ; THE END!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahahaha, just kidding. This chapter was like 50/50 boring. I hope you guys liked it though. Please vote and comment, tell me your guys' opinions. I love hearing them. (: xxx, ashelina.