Chapter 3

Grayson had been assigned a digital photography project in his IT class, and much to his dismay, he was paired with someone named Alison Emrys who was nowhere to be seen.

He had already formed an opinion about her - unreliable and probably not worth his time.  Yet, he felt compelled to search for this 'Alison Emrys' as another means of distracting himself from...things.

Grayson scoured the entire school, checking classrooms, dormitories, and even social media platforms, but there was no trace of an  'Alison Emrys'. He was beginning to think that she didn't exist, which wouldn't have been so bad for him. But then he remembered the one place he hadn't checked yet - the rooftop garden.

Grayson found the rooftop garden, his heart racing as he climbed the stairs two at a time. He had heard rumours about the abandon rooftop garden, but he never imagined it would be this breathtaking (literally).

As he pushed open the door, he expected to find an abandoned wasteland, but instead, he was greeted by blooming flowers, specifically roses. The air was filled with the scent of fresh roses.

As he explored the garden, Grayson heard a voice behind him. "I was wondering when you would find me." Startled, he spun around to find no one there. Was he losing it again?

"Up here," the voice came from above him.  Grayson looked up to see a girl, no older than him, hanging down from a tree.  "My name is Alison Emrys," she grinned.

Alison had black hair that was tied up in a messy bun, and her deep blue eyes were framed by a skinny face with prominent cheekbones, as if she hadn't been eating for days.

"This is the part where you say your name," she whispered to Grayson.

Although Grayson was feeling frustrated, it may not have been apparent to someone else. He cleared his throat and responded in a short, terse manner, "My name is Grayson. Grayson Davenport Hawthorne."

He then scoffed and warned Alison, "And you really shouldn't be up there. It's not safe. You could seriously hurt yourself if you fall."

In truth, Grayson couldn't care less if Alison fell. It might even make things easier for him.

He had to admit that finding Alison was more challenging than he had anticipated. It reminded him of  playing hide-and-seek with his brothers, a game that could go on for days or even weeks. 

Alison simply laughed and swung down from the tree, landing gracefully on her feet.

She brushed off her hands and extended her arm for a shake. "I'm not as fragile as I look, Grayson Hawthorne," she said with a smile. But Grayson couldn't help but notice the contradiction in her smile. Her lips formed a genuinely happy expression, but her eyes told a different story. There was a hint of sadness behind them.

Not wanting to pry, Grayson followed suit with the handshake, the tension in his arm noticeable. "I'm looking forward to working with you," he replied, returning her smile.