Chapter 58

"You knew he was sick," Skye's frustration boiled over. "Did it ever occur to you to tell someone?" she hissed at her youngest son. Skye grabbed a bottle of champagne from the kitchen cupboard and poured herself a glass, trying to calm down as she took a sip.

"Who could I have told?" Xander asked calmly like if aliens had landed in the kitchen, he would find it normal, considering his belief in aliens.

"ME!" Skye cried, her voice cracking with emotion. "You had me!"

"We never really had you, did we?" Jameson's words cut deep.

Skye took another sip, trying to fight back tears. "I'm only human, Jamie-"

"And we aren't?" Jameson remarked, his voice laced with hurt.

"Jameson Winchester Hawthorne, I am your mother," Skye tried to reason with her son.

"Skye Hawthorne, I am your son." Jameson voice was rough.

"Every single one of you preferred my father," Skye continued. "Was my love for you all not enough?"

She set her glass down and turned her gaze to Grayson. "I wasn't there for you all like I should have been, and for that, I apologize."

"But you're not sorry," Grayson's response was sharp, his eyes cold.

"There's a difference?"

"You know there is," Grayson replied firmly. 

Skye shrugged elegantly, "What does it matter?"

"It doesn't." Nash, the oldest brother, raised his voice angrily. "We were just a burden to you."

"That's not true," Skye whispered. "I love you all."

Nash glanced back at his mother, emotions contorting his face. "You have a strange way of showing it," he muttered.

"Is this a bad time to mention that the old man sent, not one, but two invitations to anonymous guests in Connecticut for the will reading?" The tension in the room suddenly shifted as everyone's attention turned to Xander.

"Avery Kylie Grambs and Libby Grambs," Nash stated, confirming Xander's information. Xander nodded, relieved that the argument had stopped.

"Is that so?" Jameson raised an eyebrow at his brothers.

"I heard Lee-Lee talk about it," Nash explained.

 "Just to make matters worse," Skye sighed, and made her way to the kitchen door. "You'll know where to find me," she said before leaving.

The room fell silent for a moment before Xander spoke up. "Maybe we should follow her. Talk things out, you know?"

"What do you think we've been doing for the past hour?" Grayson sighed, running a hand through his hair.

"I don't know if talking would solve everything," Nash said, leaning against the counter.

"So, what do we do now?" Xander asked.

"What we always do," Jameson said with a sad smile. "Play to win."