Chapter 40

Shea must have fallen asleep because William left his seat to go to the pilot cabin. Hudson leaned closer to Grayson, breaking the silence. "Got any questions, Grayson?"

Grayson had many questions, but he decided to start with the simplest one. "What do you want from me?" Grayson asked, looking directly at Hudson.

Hudson glanced at Grayson, then at Jolene, who sat beside him, before answering. "I believe your connection with Alison can influence her decisions. I want you to ensure she chooses a path that minimizes the dangers we are currently facing."

Grayson observed Hudson carefully. He wasn't sure what the actual danger was, and what he meant by we. If Hudson and William had accepted money from Mason, like their mother did, why would they be in danger themselves? Unless they betrayed Mason.

"What exactly are you protecting yourselves from?" Grayson asked.

A flicker of sadness passed through Hudson's eyes. "Alison was the reason my parents divorced. She took everything away from me: my life, my friends, everything. I had to start over from scratch and build a new life."

"My mother is slowly losing her sanity. My father still holds onto hope, waiting for us, even though he knows deep down that we're never going back. And William..."  Hudson's gaze briefly shifted toward the pilot's cabin, leaving the rest unsaid.

Hudson skilfully evaded Grayson's question, leaving uncertainty in the air. Grayson pondered whether Hudson's actions were aimed at protecting himself from Mason or if they were driven by a personal vendetta rooted in Alison's role in her parents' divorce. Who was truly pulling the strings behind all of this?

Although Grayson could only assume that Hudson was telling the truth, he recognized the value of the information, even if it turned out to be a lie. As Grayson's grandfather used to say, "A lie is always based on a truth."

"Why should I believe you?" Grayson asked, his voice steady but laced with genuine scepticism.

Hudson closed his eyes, taking a moment to gather himself. Settling back in his seat, a faint smile danced on his lips. "Grayson, I don't expect you to blindly trust me or William," Hudson responded carefully, acknowledging Grayson's doubts. "But ever since I drove you to Mr. Emrys' house, I have placed my trust in you."

Jolene, who had been listening silently, suddenly interjected. "Why wasn't I invited to meet your dad?" she asked, playfully squeezing Hudson's cheeks causing him to pout slightly. Hudson's smile softened as he met Jolene's gaze. "My love, there's no need. You're the only family I need."

Ignoring the fact that Jolene was Hudson's girlfriend, Grayson asked, "You referred to your father by your last name. Why is that?"

Hudson took a deliberate pause before responding. "Let's just say he's not exactly someone I hold in high regard," he replied softly. Hudson's eyes remained fixed on Jolene, seemingly lost in memories. A fleeting smile crossed his face. "Alison was his favourite. She was smart, beautiful, and quite cheeky." However, the smile vanished from Hudson's face as quickly as it had appeared. "But she was dangerous, selfish, and cold-hearted."

Grayson's curiosity deepened, his brows furrowed with genuine interest. "What do you mean?" he asked, eager to understand.

Hudson's voice wavered slightly as he recalled the past, lost in bittersweet recollections.

"Alison has distanced herself from us and cut off all ties for the past three years. Any files or evidence of Alison mysteriously vanished or were destroyed, as if she never existed. She had a way of manipulating people, using her charm and intellect to bend situations to her will," he explained, a tinge of bitterness in his tone. "She had a knack for getting what she wanted, regardless of the consequences. And those who crossed her path... well, they often regretted it."

Hudson smiled with pain, his gaze returning to Grayson. "Alison used to sing her own songs to me and Will. Her voice had a way of soothing us, making us feel better," he shared. "Has she sung to you yet?"

Grayson brushed off Hudson's question, recognizing the diversion. "If Alison distanced herself from you and cut off all ties, why are you still pursuing her?" Grayson inquired, attempting to untangle their motives.

Hudson's lips tugged into a smile. "What hides behind innocence? What manipulates fate from the shadows?" he posed, presenting Grayson with a riddle.

Grayson frowned. Time was running short as the plane approached Boston, and he still couldn't fully understand what Hudson's intentions were. "I don't have time for riddles," he asserted, growing increasingly frustrated.

Hudson's gaze softened, a glimmer of mischief shining through. "Patience, Grayson. All will be revealed when the time is right," he replied cryptically, evading Grayson's direct question once again.

"You can't keep me here as a hostage. My absence will attract unnecessary attention," Grayson told Hudson firmly.

Hudson closed his eyes. "I don't need to persuade you, Grayson. You are a Hawthorne, after all," he stated,opening his eyes. "You're already caught in the web."