Chapter 57

Alison hesitated, her gaze drifting away as if struggling to find the right words. "I don't remember everything clearly," she confessed. "But I remember you-"

"Alison, do you know anything about an agreement you might be involved in?" Grayson interrupted, trying to tread carefully. He had to take Drunk Alison's warning seriously, even if he wasn't sure how much to trust it. Alisa had confirmed Mason's presence at the accident with William and Hudson. Grayson couldn't take any chances; he didn't want to be the next target.

Alison looked genuinely worried now. "I only mentioned the one I told you about," she replied.

Grayson's mind raced, and he glanced out of the window, trying to collect his thoughts. He knew about the agreement between Alison and Mason, but he just hoped that there was more to it.

His frustration grew, but Grayson tried to stay patient. "Can you remember what it was about? Did you break the agreement somehow?"

Alison stared at Grayson, intensity in her eyes. "Mason's birthday," she said softly, her voice tinged with regret. "I wasn't where I was supposed to be."

Memories of Alison on the rooftop garden, ready to end her life, flooded Grayson's thoughts. He tried to push aside the guilt that washed over him. He couldn't save her that night, and he was lucky that Mason cleverly followed him to save her. He had witnessed the pain in her eyes that night, and it had haunted him ever since. 

"I was there," Grayson said in a low voice. "And so was Mason."

Alison became silent as she absorbed Grayson's words. She looked distant, lost in painful memories he could only imagine. "You and Mason were at the garden..." Alison's voice trailed off, showing her confusion and pain.

"Mason saved you," Grayson's voice was sombre. "I..." He couldn't bring himself to say it, to admit that he had just stood there and watched as she tried to commit suicide.

"I never told him," Alison said, smiling softly. "Only you know about the garden. You saved me." Grayson felt a small sense of gratitude that he had been able to help her in some way, but he couldn't ignore the fact that if it weren't for Mason, Alison wouldn't be here.

As the plane landed, Grayson and Alison went their separate ways. He opened the taxi door for her, and she turned to him, concern on her face. "Why don't you come with me," she said, but Grayson understood it as: "I can't lose you."

"No one's stupid enough to mess with me," he replied confidently, as Alison got inside.

"We can get ice cream," she suggested, although Grayson had no interest in it. Still, he hesitated for a moment, considering her offer. "Bye Alison" he said, gently closing the taxi door. As the taxi drove away, Alison looked at him through the window with a concerned expression. She reminded him of Avery with her expressive face, unlike the usual masks Grayson saw. He kept watching her until she disappeared from view, and then he walked back to a grand restaurant.

Inside the restaurant, Grayson took a seat in a secluded corner, trying to blend into the background as much as possible. He didn't want to draw any attention to himself, especially after what had happened with Alison and the suspicious events surrounding her and Mason. His thoughts were interrupted by Alisa's call.

"You'll be happy to hear that I was able to go through the agreement," Alisa's voice came through the phone. "What do you want to know first?"

"Everything," Grayson replied, his tone reflecting his frustration.

"I know about agreements like Mason's and Alison's. It's called a social contract. People agree to give up some freedoms and follow rules in exchange for protection and order. It appears that the social contract between Mason and Alison is much more complex than I initially thought. There are additional clauses that dictate specific actions and behaviours they must adhere to."

Grayson's curiosity peaked. "What kind of actions and behaviours?" he inquired.

"I can't say for sure yet," Alisa replied. "But it seems that they are bound to each other in more ways than one. Breaking this contract would likely have severe consequences, in this case, for Alison Emrys."

Grayson frowned, trying to process the information. "How do we break it?"

"It won't be easy," Alisa warned. "According to my father, the old man had a social contract with his oil partner, but he luckily got out of it just in time. Social contracts are complex and deeply rooted. We'll need to find more information about the terms of their agreement and the parties involved. It might be dangerous to dig deeper."

At this point, Grayson was too deep in the hole, with no choice but to keep digging deeper.

Alisa groaned, her worry evident in her voice. "Grayson, don't tell me you're going to break it." Grayson remained silent, confirming Alisa's fears. "Why do you Hawthorns always get yourself into trouble?" she sighed.

A faint smile crossed Grayson's lips. "If I don't answer the next phone call," he whispered, "terminate the agreement." As soon as he finished speaking, the call ended. Before he could do anything else, a sudden attack came from behind. A chloroform-soaked handkerchief covered his nose and mouth.

Grayson's speech was slurred, and he struggled to stay awake. He looked at the cloaked figure before him. "You've caused quite a stir, Grayson Hawthorne," the figure's voice echoed, and Grayson's vision blurred as he fell into a deep sleep.