Chapter 38

"Thank God," a voice sighed in relief. "I thought you died on me."

Grayson opened his eyes, slowly, to find himself face to face with a young woman. She had light brown skin that glowed with a warm radiance, and her short honey blonde hair framed her face in a chic and effortless style.

"Don't sit up straight away," she advised him gently. "You'll have a headache."

Ignoring her warning, Grayson tried to sit up, but a sharp pain hit his head, and he regretted his hasty action. He lay back down, his eyes never leaving the woman beside him.

"Who are you?" Grayson demanded.  He looked around the room, noticing the large space with a great view of skyscrapers. He also realized he was wearing a white shirt that wasn't his own.

The young woman next to him smiled softly, her almond-shaped eyes filled with a mix of empathy and sadness. "You can call me Shea," she replied gently, her voice offering a sense of reassurance.

Shea reached over to a nearby nightstand and picked up a glass of water and a small bottle of pills. She carefully placed them on the palm of her hand and extended it towards Grayson.

"These pills should help with the headache," Shea explained, her voice gentle.

He took them without thinking too much, as his head was throbbing, and swallowed them with a sip of water. The pain started to subside, and he began to focus on his surroundings.

Shea seemed to be around the same age as Libby, but taller and less colourful. She wore an oversized thin white t-shirt that slid down her collarbone.

"I'm sorry about William," she whispered, seeming embarrassed. "He didn't mean any harm."

Confused, Grayson tried to remember what had happened. Memories flashed through his mind, and he recalled everything clearly.

"He almost got me killed," Grayson said, looking outside the glass wall. They had brought him back to New York, but why?

"He was just..." Shea's voice trailed off, her expression faltering.

"Just trying to kill me," Grayson said firmly. He wanted to make it clear that he understood the situation—an attempt on his life. However, he also acknowledged his own role in the event. Grayson had caused them to fall on a speeding car, but William had drugged him excessively.

Shea moved away slightly and folded her hands in her lap. After a pause, she spoke again, her voice gentle but firm. "He was trying to protect his family," she said, hesitating. "Anyone would do the same. How far would you go to protect your loved ones?"

Grayson paused, contemplating. He would do anything to protect his family and loved ones, but sacrificing someone else's life for his own? He didn't want to become like Sheffield Grayson, who killed without necessity. And the fact that he tried to kill Toby and Avery only added to why Grayson despised Sheffield, his father.

"I can't justify what he did," Shea said, breaking the silence, her gaze unwavering. "There's no excuse for intentionally endangering someone's life, no matter the circumstances or provocation."

Grayson slowly moved out of the bed; Shea instinctively reached out to stop him, but he flicked her hand away gently yet firmly. Grayson made his way towards the glass wall, taking in the view of the bustling New York City at night.

Then, a realization struck him. He turned to Shea, his voice filled with concern. "How long was I unconscious?"

After a moment of pause, Shea replied, "Two days."

Mason would surely notice his absence, and he needed to return to Boston immediately.

Grayson's attention shifted to the couch, where his clothes were wrapped in plastic. "I washed them for you yesterday," Shea informed him. Grayson didn't react, nor say thank you. He knew time was running out, and he had to act quickly.