Chapter 45

Alison wiped her chocolate stained lips and glanced at him with uncertainty. "Even if I asked, would you really tell me?" She savoured another spoonful of ice cream, her eyes avoiding his gaze.

Did Alison genuinely not know where I had been, or was she hiding something? Taking a deep breath, he mustered the courage to ask, "Why did you stab William?"

Alison's spoon paused momentarily, then she resumed eating, seemingly caught off guard by his question. Her reaction indicated she didn't know about his visits, but Grayson wasn't entirely convinced.

"You played hide and seek in the barn," Grayson leaned closer, clasping his hands on his knees, urging her to look at him. "William was 'it,' and he found you first."

Alison's lips formed a faint smile, yet her eyes remained guarded. "I spy with my little eye, someone's been reading," she said casually, leaving Grayson puzzled. "When the cat's away, the mice will play," she shrugged casually.

Her words might danced around the truth, teasing him with hidden meanings. But he knew why she always turned everything into a game, and it was better that way for both of them. As Jameson had once told Grayson, "If you let this be a game, it doesn't have to hurt."

"Why did you do it?" Grayson pressed further, his voice laced with genuine concern. "Alison-"

Alison reached out and gently traced her finger along Grayson's palm, her touch both comforting and electrifying. Her finger paused on his wrist, and her voice lowered to a whisper. "Like an Angel, they protect anyone they can," she began, her eyes locking onto his. "But Angels can fall." Her words stirred memories of Drunk Alison's ramblings, of her calling him an Angel.

Did her words hold a deeper meaning? Were they connected somehow? Was she implying they are the same? Did she understand the weight of his actions, the guilt that plagued him? Did she know about Emily?

Just as their moment seemed to deepen, Alison's phone shattered the fragile silence, its ring cutting through the air. Grayson didn't need to see the caller ID to know it was Mason.Was she waiting for him back at the school?

The spark between them faded as Alison released Grayson's hand, leaving a lingering warmth on his skin. She stood up, her breath shaky, and her eyes scanned the park, searching for something or someone. Grayson followed her gaze, expecting to see someone, but there was no one in sight.

"You know where to find me," she whispered softly, her voice barely audible. Alison took a step back, creating a physical and emotional distance between them. Grayson wanted to reach out for her hand, but something held him back. He could see the mix of hope and disappointment in her eyes as she noticed his hesitation.

Alison started walking away, her phone still ringing, and Grayson watched her disappear into the distance. The weight of her absence settled heavily in his chest, leaving him with more questions than answers.