Chapter 41

A taxi pulled up beside them, and Shea urgently tugged on William's shirt, insisting on coming along. "You promised," she reminded him. William sighed and took hold of Shea's hand, his gaze shifting between Hudson and Jolene. "Jolene-"

"Go," Jolene swiftly replied, already focused on William before he even spoke. Hudson furrowed his eyebrows, observing the interaction. "Go? Go where?"

"Somewhere," Jolene simply answered. Hudson's frustration was evident as a nerve twitched in his neck. "Where exactly? What's the plan?" he asked, genuinely frustrated. "Why aren't we going with Grayson? Why can't I come? What's the agenda? Is it because you haven't met my parents-"

Jolene stepped closer to Hudson, cupping his face gently and planting a tender kiss on his lips. "So many questions," she said with a hint of amusement. "That's what you love about me," Hudson remarked, and Jolene couldn't help but smile- the first genuine display of emotion Grayson had witnessed from her. Hudson responded to that smile with one of his own smile, biting his lower lip.

Then, Hudson refocused his attention on Grayson. "To fix what's broken, sometimes we must embrace what seems shattered. Resistance won't lead to a solution; unity will. A puzzle needs all its pieces, even the misplaced ones, to reveal the whole picture. She holds a piece of the puzzle, one that can restore harmony or deepen the fractures."

Grayson stared at Hudson, trying to grasp his meaning. It appeared that Alison was the key to solving the problem, the missing piece of the puzzle. Without her, everything would remain broken. However, Grayson couldn't understand the connection between Alison and Mason, which was crucial for comprehending the situation.

Turning to William, who was giving Hudson a stern look, Grayson nodded and said, "Let's go." He was ready to move forward, even though there were still many unanswered questions.

As they settled into the taxi, the faint scent of leather surrounded them. Shea couldn't contain her curiosity any longer and tugged on William's sleeve, her eyes wide with anticipation.

"William, what's really happening?" she asked, her voice filled with concern and confusion. "Why did Hudson and Jolene leave?"

Grayson shifted in his seat, curious to how William was going to respond. It was refreshing to have someone who didn't hesitate to ask straightforward questions. However, Shea unintentionally said something Grayson felt she shouldn't have. "Are they going to Mason?"

William glanced at Shea, conveying a certain look that silenced her. "What about Mason?" Grayson prodded William for an answer.

William shifted his gaze from Shea to Grayson, his expression blank. He took a deep breath before responding. "Mason is just an acquaintance," William explained, his words carefully chosen. "As for Hudson and Jolene, they had their own reasons for leaving."

Grayson noticed Shea squeezing William's hand, whispering 'I'm sorry' in a low voice. "Is that why you want me to influence Alison to go with Mason?"

Grayson maintained eye contact with William, knowing that his gaze could persuade anyone, even William. "Hudson has his own agenda, and I have mine," William stated. "He wants to give Alison a second chance, but I won't."

Confusion furrowed Grayson's brow. So Hudson wants Grayson to convince Alison to side with Mason, while William... Grayson's narrowed eyes indicated that the puzzle pieces were falling into place. "You want both of us out of the picture." Whatever Alison's backstory was, Hudson was willing to give her a chance to make amends, while William...

"You're willing to discard your own sister?" Grayson's voice cut through with disbelief. The bickering and annoyances between Jameson, Xander, and Nash might be typical of brothers, but they wouldn't hold grudges or try to kill one another, not yet anyway.

William lifted his shirt, revealing three puncture wounds on his waist and stomach. "We were playing hide and seek-Hudson, Alison, and I," William revealed, his voice strained. "During the game, Alison found a pitchfork," he explained, wincing as the memories resurfaced. "Can you guess what happened next?"

"Why would she...?" Grayson blurted, his voice trailing off as he searched for an explanation.

"Just for fun," William interrupted, wincing in pain at the harrowing memory. "In the end of the game, Alison won."

As the taxi continued its journey, the three of them sat in silence, lost in their own thoughts. "Is that why you won't let me meet your sister, your father, your mother?" Shea spoke softly beside Grayson.

"My father raised us like cattle, and my mother did whatever it took to survive. They never cared about us, me or Hudson," William began, sadness tinged in his voice. "Mason helped us, an opportunity arose to break free and have a better life. How could I refuse?"

Grayson glanced out the window; they were near his hotel now, and the time was 7:30 p.m. "So you're one of Mason's associates, paying him back."

William nodded. "My motive is to protect my family at any cost," he turned to Shea, tears streaming down her face. "But Alison is an exception?" Grayson asked, still focused on the passing scenery. "The connection between Mason and Alison is the only reason she's... an exception."

"Will, this isn't right," Shea cried. "She's your little sister-"

"Grayson," he interrupted Shea. "Even if I wanted to harm you, I couldn't because of Mason's orders. But if you do something reckless, I'll come find you."

The taxi came to a stop in front of Grayson's hotel. He opened the door, stepping out into the chilly night air, his blonde hair swaying in the breeze. His grey eyes met William's brown hazel eyes. "Thank you, Shea, for taking care of me these past two days." Without waiting for a response, Grayson turned his back to the taxi and walked into the hotel.