Chapter 82

Grayson had just about settled into the booth when he was gently stirred from his light nap once more. This time, he found himself leaning on Alison, who was already wide awake. She had Mason's book in her hand, flipping through its pages, humming softly.

His eyes snapped open, and he quickly shifted away from Alison, putting a few inches of distance between them, now fully alert. He hadn't meant to doze off again, especially not so close to her.

His movement startled Alison, causing the book to slip from her hand and land on the table with a soft thud. 

A short, awkward pause hung in the air before Alison's laughter, like a sweet melody, filled the space between them. Grayson felt his cheeks flush and instinctively tilted his head to conceal his embarrassment. "How long was I out?" Grayson's voice, although serious, wavered slightly as he asked.

Alison's blue eyes slowly found their way to Grayson's. "Just long enough," was her answer, as she leaned back into the sofa.

Before Grayson could voice his concerns, Cora returned to their table with trays of food. She placed plates of pancakes, scrambled eggs, and bacon in front of Grayson and Alison. "Sorry for the delay," she apologised.

Following Cora came Gabriel, Rupert, and...Mason. Gabriel and Rupert were dressed in their typical grey and black suits, while Mason sported an oversized white t-shirt and long blue jeans, his light brown hair was tousled like he'd just rolled out of bed.

"Why is he here?" Alison's voice was remarkably calm, the question seemed to be targetted for all 3 of them.

"If a well-known author suddenly ends up in jail for his fraudulent writings, it would cause quite a stir, not just in Boston, but all over America," Rupert decided to answer as he took a seat beside Cora with Mason and Gabriel following suit. "I mean, your latest book help make it to number one on the charts," he said with a half-smile, seemingly pleased with his pun.

Rupert wasted no time, helping himself to a plate piled high with sausage and bacon, taking a hearty bite. With his mouth full, he turned to Grayson and Alison, encouraging them to join in.

"I'm not hungry," she replied and you could hear her tiredness.

Rupert, insistent, pushed a plate of fluffy pancakes towards her. "Eat," he urged, though it came across as somewhat forceful.

"He's right, Alison. You need some food," Cora added, turning her attention to Grayson. "And you too, Grayson," she said, pushing a plate of pancakes in his direction.

A heavy silence fell over the room, broken only by Rupert's munching down his bacon.

Grayson sensed a sudden vibration in the sofa, and he quickly realized that Alison's agitated leg was the cause. She was clearly irritated or frustrated, and he took a moment to study Alison's expression. 

She looked tired, but there was something more – she bit down on her bottom lip, as if holding back a flood of words, and her eyes glistened, on the verge of tears. It was clear she had a lot on her mind and sought not just for answers, but for closure.

Without drawing any attention or thinking twice, Grayson's hand found its way under the table and gently rested it on Alison's bare leg, putting an end to the vibrations. His thumb moved with deliberate tenderness, tracing soothing circles against her thigh.

Grayson cast a sidelong glance at Mason, only to find Mason's eyes already locked onto his. Then, Mason's gaze flickered toward Grayson's side - his left arm to be precise.

Instead of withdrawing his hand, Grayson decided to have some fun/payback. He slowly moved his hand down to Alison's knee, leaving a trail of warmth in its wake. Alison shifted slightly and stole a quick glanced at Grayson's direction, which caught Mason's attention. Grayson continued and dragged his hand back up to Alison's thigh. His fingers gently fiddled with the edge of her pants, tracing over the rim. He knew he should stop, but the temptation to provoke Mason was too irresistible to resist.