Chapter 56

On the way to the airport, Grayson waited for Alison in the private jet. She went into a store to get some ice cream, and Grayson made a quick phone call to someone he wished he didn't have to involve.

"Well, this better be good," Alisa scoffed before Grayson could say anything.

"Alisa, I need you to find anything about Mason Valentine," he started. "And about Alison Emrys, if possible."

"I don't need to do anything," she told him with a hint of annoyance. However, it only took a few seconds for Alisa to agree. When Grayson Hawthoren demanded something, the world obliged. "I'll see what I can find," Alisa sighed. "In the meantime, I advise you to call Avery back."

Grayson had forgotten that Avery had tried to get in touch with him, but he couldn't bring himself to talk to her, not yet. He ended the phone call and looked out the window.

Alison was walking alone, holding a tub of ice cream and eating it as she strolled. She looked lost, and Grayson found it quite amusing to watch.

Her hair was braided in two, and he wished she hadn't done that, as it reminded him of Emily. She was also wearing his jacket, which she hadn't returned, and probably wouldn't. Her eyes were a dark shade of blue, almost black, just like his – cold, dangerous, and filled with sadness.

He kept watching her until she came on board. When she saw Grayson, he was sitting by the left window, with his legs crossed. He wore a black suit, and his hair was tousled, making it look windblown. He raised an eyebrow, expecting her to take a seat instead of just standing there with a spoon of ice cream in her mouth.

Alison looked down at her tub. "Do you want some?" she asked genuinely. Grayson rolled his eyes, adjusting his cuffs. Alison made her way to him and sat across from him. Even though there were empty seats, she chose to sit right in front of him. "Do you still have my phone?" Grayson pulled it out of his pocket and handed it to her. Before Grayson could tell her someone had been calling her since last night, Alison opened the window and threw the phone just in time for take-off.

"Why did you do that?" Grayson asked, surprised by her sudden action. Alison shrugged, looking out the window as the plane gained altitude. "I don't want to be bothered by anyone right now." She stuffed her mouth with chocolate ice cream, and added, "You, however, are the only exception."

Grayson sighed, realizing that arguing with her at the moment would be futile. He decided to change the subject. "You never appeared to be a drinking type. Spiritus?"

Alison's gaze turned distant. "Well, at least that explains my bloody hands." Her hands were bandaged and she twitched while eating ice cream. "Yesterday..." She sighed, trying to remember. Her shoulders slumped as she leaned back in her seat.

Grayson's phone buzzed, and he saw it was Alisa calling. He excused himself and answered quickly. "What did you find?" he asked without wasting time.

Alisa replied, her voice low, "Where do I begin? Mason Valentine, 19-year-old American author, got New York's best-selling book award for his book 'Help'."

"He's received million-dollar donations from various sources and is considered Harvard University's best student."

"But recently, he was seen near a car accident in Brooklyn."

"It looks like he's involved in some shady stuff."

"What kind of stuff?" Grayson's grip on the phone tightened, eager to know more.

"It's not entirely clear yet," Alisa said. "But it seems like he's mixed up in illegal activities, maybe even with criminal organizations."

Grayson clenched his fists, anger and concern swirling inside him. "And what about Alison Emrys?"

Alisa went silent, making Grayson think she had hung up. "Alisa?" he called out.

"All her files were wiped," she said. "But I managed to find some info on her, don't ask how."

He heard faint folder scratching sounds in the background before Alisa continued. "Alison Emrys attended Harvard University and was the second-best student, just after Mason Valentine."

"Her mother recently died from stress-induced cancer, and her father was recently found dead at his farm in West Virginia."

Alisa paused. "Grayson, what's going on here?" Her voice showed concern.

"What else can you tell me?" he urged.

"I found a copy of some kind of agreement, and Alison Emrys was mentioned."

Grayson's heart raced. Finally, a lead!

"But I can't access it."

Disappointment washed over Grayson. He had hoped Alisa would have all the answers, but now he faced another obstacle. He took a deep breath, trying to stay calm.

"What do you mean you can't access it?" he asked.

"I mean, it's encrypted with high-level security," Alisa replied. "Whoever is behind this is serious about keeping it hidden."

Grayson cursed under his breath. He had to find a way to access those files. His safety might depend on it.

"I know someone who might be able to hack through it," Alisa assured him. "I'll get back to you."

As Alisa was about to end the call, Grayson quickly said, "Don't tell anyone about this." He lowered his voice, hoping she would understand. Alisa didn't respond and hung up. Grayson could only hope she would keep this information from Avery and Jameson.

Returning to his seat, he found Alison still munching on her ice cream, unaware of the intense conversation he'd just had. He considered telling her about the files but decided to wait until he had more information.

"I remember," Alison said, looking up at him, her eyes filled with sadness that seem to reach his sole.

Grayson took his seat and fastened his seatbelt. "What do you remember?" he asked.

Alison put down her ice cream, an for the first time had  a serious expression on her face. "You're next."