Chapter 46

Mason's books— "Help," "Escape," and "Fractured"—stayed on Grayson's mind as he stepped into his dimly lit hotel room. Everything seemed undisturbed, except for the fact that Alison had mentioned his reading, indicating otherwise.

Alison must had gone through his things and secretly returned them, leaving behind a faint hint of vanilla and an abandoned pen on his desk. Grayson couldn't help but think it was her first time attempting such a stealthy feat.

Seated in a chair, Grayson picked "Escape," the first book from the shelf, and started reading. Hoping for a revelation, he flipped to the middle and started reading from there, but found the words frustratingly vague, devoid of any hidden meaning.

His mind kept drifting back to Alison, making it difficult to focus too. The memory of her embrace lingered, gentle and comforting, leaving an indelible mark. It made Grayson wonder if that's how genuine hugs felt. With a tinged of sadness, he realized Emily had never hugged him like that. Their relationship was built on support during tough times, but a heartfelt hug was always missing. Maybe Emily saved those for Jameson, the person she chose first...

As the afternoon faded, the shadows on the wall indicated around 6 o'clock. Grayson considered ending his search, but then he noticed a glimmer—the words and phrases on the pages started to glow. Could it be? Grayson closed the curtains, which intensified the glow, revealing Alison's clever use of glow-in-the-dark ink. Why haven't I've thought of that, Grayson groaned.

Highlighted words and phrases, along with italicized, bold, and capitalized letters, formed coherent sentences. Grayson deciphered one message: "Careful for what you wished for." Although it seemed meaningless, he persisted, writing down the hidden messages on a business card with Alison's forgotten pen, which conveniently had glow-in-the-dark ink. Yet doubts arose—how did Alison possess this knowledge? Why was she willingly sharing these clues?

Decoding the final paragraph, a thought came to Grayson. Mason had published five books—two on finance and three fictional works. But according to Mason's Harvard files, he never studied business or finance, and his English literature writings had been discarded so there was no telling if the books were written in his own writing. This could only mean one thing: Mason wasn't the true author.

Grayson quickly slipped into a crisp suit and straightening his tie. The hours had slipped away unnoticed, consumed by his relentless quest for answers. The revelation had taken hold of his thoughts, leaving him intrigued and unsettled. Despite the uneasy feeling that churned in his stomach, he knew attending Mason's Birthday Party was the only path to verify his suspicions. After all, a Hawthorne always finishes what they started.