Chapter 28

Alison Emrys - Student Profile

Date of birth: April 1st, 2001

Place of birth: West Virginia, Buckhannon

Gender: Female

GPA: 4.0

Funding year: Scholarship

Academic Records:

English: A+

IT: A

Financial Studies: A

Biology: A

Music: A+

Art: A+

Grayson continued to read further into Alison's school records, impressed by her remarkable academic achievements. Two years at Harvard University on a scholarship was not easy for a normal person. The fact that she had pursued studies in multiple universities in England with scholarships too at the age of 17 hinted at a remarkable intellect and an adventurous spirit. (At least that explains how she learned Latin.) However, according to the last file of papers, Alison was leaving Harvard this October, which left Grayson wondering about the reasons behind her decision.

Turning his attention to Alison's family background, Grayson discovered that she had two older brothers and was the youngest in her family. Although the files provided limited information, he saw a glimmer of hope in this clue. He contemplated searching for the "Emrys" family in West Virginia, Buckhannon, hoping to uncover more details about Alison's personal life.

As Grayson delved deeper into the pages of Alison's files, a sudden realization struck him like a bolt of lightning. He discovered that Mason Valentine had been Alison's English partner—just as Grayson was her IT partner. Of course! Why didn't I see it? Grayson rubbed his sore eyes.  Grayson's memory flashed back to the information he had gathered about Mason's past. Mason had spent three years at Harvard University, and it so happened that his third year at the institution coincided with Alison's first year there. However, Mason had chosen to drop out after publishing his debut book.

Grayson searched further for any mention of Mason Valentine. Yet, disappointment set in as he found no further mentions of Mason Valentine or any clues about their shared past.

Grayson closed Alison's school files, but he didn't stop there. His mind was filled with burning questions and an insatiable thirst for answers. Alison's gesture of giving him her school records sparked a realization within him. It hinted that Mason Valentine might have his own set of files still here. But it also sparked an uneasy feeling, why had Alison given him her files so easily? Anyway, her school files might not seem like much, but it was a step forward. He also couldn't ignore the feeling that Alison desired a connection with him, whether it be friendship or something more. Her words echoed in his mind: "Do you want to know me?"

Yet, Grayson couldn't ignore the growing connection he felt towards Alison. Maybe it was because she reminded him of Jameson a lot. However, he refused to let that fleeting sentiment cloud his judgment. The weight of past events weighed heavily on his conscience. He couldn't forget the loss of Emily, whose life had tragically ended due to his actions. Moreover, Avery had also faced grave danger as a result of his involvement. Grayson couldn't bear the thought of another person suffering or facing peril because of him.

But as a Hawthorne, he couldn't resist taking the risk. Though Alison currently held the upper hand, Grayson was determined not to stay in the dark for long. He realized that to truly understand the depth of their connection, he needed to explore Mason's books, as well as his earlier works at school if possible.

To kickstart his exploration, Grayson decided to begin with Mason's most recent work, the current bestseller "Help."