Chapter 30

Grayson entered the elegant hotel restaurant, basking in the soft glow of candlelight and the pleasant hum of conversation. Guided by the maître d', he took a seat at a secluded table near a large window that offered a stunning view of the city skyline. His anticipation filled the air as he scanned the room, hoping to catch a glimpse of Mason.

Just a few minutes later, Mason arrived, exuding confidence in his impeccably tailored suit. A warm smile adorned his face as he approached the table. "Grayson," Mason greeted, his voice smooth and charming. "I'm glad you could join me."

"Likewise," Grayson replied, his voice steady and emotionless. Seated across from Grayson, they engaged in small talk with the waiter while awaiting their meal.

"So, how are you?" Mason asked Grayson. "How was Harvard-"

"Let's get straight to the point. What did you want to discuss?" Grayson's voice left no room for diversion, although a flicker of regret lingered within him—he was acting like his... father.

Mason's casual smile faltered, his gaze turning serious. "Alison Emrys," he said, his tone low, stern, and tinged with an edge of danger. "You two seem close." This tone suited him far better than his previous cheerfulness, Grayson thought.

Grayson leaned back, his eyes narrowing as he locked onto Mason's intense stare. "Close enough to know that there's more to Alison than meets the eye," he retorted.

"It would be in your best interest to let things be," Mason pressed, leaning forward, his expression firm and his tone business-like.

Grayson maintained his composure, matching Mason's business-like demeanour. "Your veiled threats won't sway me, Mason. I've faced greater challenges than you in my life, and I won't be easily deterred."

Mason's smile wavered, a trace of frustration betraying his eyes. Grayson's presence had clearly disrupted his previous ease. It was evident that Mason had never encountered such resistance until Grayson had arrived. "These matters don't concern you-"

"All these matters concern me," Grayson asserted, his voice oozing with power. "Just like you, I am now her partner."

Acknowledging Grayson's defiance, Mason nodded gravely. "Looks like you've done your homework," he conceded. "But do you truly believe Alison deserves the same fate as Emily Laughlin?"

Grayson's throat tightened, his breath caught, as if his lungs were locked. Although his reaction remained concealed, a subtle tension in his jaw betrayed the turmoil within. Mason must have sensed something, despite Grayson's composed facade.

"Emily, she was quite a beautiful-"

"Don't you dare speak her name," Grayson interjected, his voice cutting through the air, colder and more dangerous than before. His control wavered momentarily, his temper surfacing. But he swiftly regained his composure, taking a deep breath to steady himself. How did Mason know? The question spun relentlessly in his mind. How does he know Emily?

"We are wealthy individuals, Grayson," Mason stated, his voice measured and deliberate. "But with wealth comes power and destruction. You and your brother, Jameson, should understand the consequences better than anyone. Being Hawthornes, it is ingrained in your blood. Avery Kylie Grambs and Alison would face the same fate as Emily because of your actions."

Mason was right. Somewhere deep within, Grayson had already sensed it, even though he desperately wanted to deny it. Avery was safe now with Jameson, and Grayson would do anything in his power to protect her, but what if Avery needed to be protected from them? And then there was Alison, a puzzle with no clear starting point. Grayson himself wasn't sure why he had gotten himself into this. Why he cared for Alison. Maybe it was because she reminded him of Jameson. Or maybe it was the familiar pain that shimmered within her eyes, mirroring his own pain.

It was a defining trait of the Hawthorne's—their unwavering determination once they set their sights on something. Everything fell into place in Grayson's mind, despite the situation. Mason must have employed detectives to uncover information about him and Emily. He came to the realization that to Mason, Emily symbolized what Alison meant to him. So, did that imply that Alison was his...

Mason leaned back in his chair as dinner arrived, and held Grayson's gaze. "So, I'm giving you one last chance, Grayson Hawthorne," he declared. "Stay away from Alison Emrys."