Chapter 80

Rupert, Grayson, and Gabriel swiftly made their way through the dimly lit corridors, heading to the music room on the far side of the school where Alison was being interrogated by Cora.

"How the hell did Mason manage to get out of that police car, especially with handcuffs on?" Gabriel's voice held a note of frustration, mirroring Grayson's own burning curiosity.

"I'm just as baffled as you are, Gabriel." Rupert shook his head, wiping away sweat from his forehead. "The only thing I'm certain of is that he's still somewhere inside Harvard grounds, more specifically, within the building."

Grayson, keeping his eyes on Rupert, pursued the matter further. "Where were you when Mason escaped?"

Rupert glanced back at Grayson and then received a nod from Gabriel, signalling his approval to answer. "I was talking with Alison." Rupert continued leading them toward the music room, speaking as he walked. "She was the one who alerted me about Mason."

There was a moment of silence as they processed this information, their footsteps the only sound breaking the stillness of the night.

Gabriel, though he might have already guessed the answer, couldn't resist asking, "What do you mean?"

"You know that better than I do," Rupert replied, offering a knowing smile as they ascended a flight of stairs.  "Alison was able to recognize who you were, Gabriel, or at least some aspects of your life when you were in that dark taxi on your way to Harvard. So, the fact that she could predict that Mason wouldn't give up his entire future so easily shouldn't really come as a surprise to any of us."

As they approached the music room, the soft strains of a piano could be heard, echoing through the hallway. 

Rupert paused at the door, his hand hovering over the handle, and turned to Gabriel and Grayson, his eyes a mix of concern and anticipation.

"She's been playing that same piece ever since I arrived," Rupert said, his voice barely audible above the music, but his frustration was palpable.

"You stay here," Gabriel instructed Grayson firmly. Before Grayson could voice any objections, both Rupert and Gabriel slipped inside the room.

Grayson could feel a throbbing nerve on his neck, his jaw clenched tightly as he obediently followed instructions. He leaned against the wall, folded his hands in front of him, and focused intently on the hushed voices.

In the muffled voices, Grayson heard Gabriel calling Alison's name, sounding frustrated. But Grayson couldn't hear Alison respond until the music suddenly stopped playing.

"She's something else, isn't she?" Grayson could hear Rupert say.

"Indeed she is." That was Cora.

"Where's Grayson?" Alison finally spoke, her voice sounded on edge.

Grayson pressed his hand against the door, leaning into it with his forehead resting against the unforgiving wood. Then, a jarring screech cut through the silence, causing Grayson to instinctively flinch. It was followed by Alison's voice, its tone hard and demanding.

"Where's Grayson?" she demanded to know, her words echoing through the closed door.

"Alison." Grayson could hear Rupert say cautiously, "Grayson's safe, but Maso-"

"Where. Is. Grayson," she repeated, her demand cut through Rupert's words like a knife.

Grayson knew he should push open the door, get inside, but he didn't. Instead, he stayed outside and continued to listen.

"Grayson is where he should be, Alison, safe and sound." Grayson couldn't see Gabriel's expression, but he could imagine the sternness in his features.

"Grayson," Alison began, her tone icy, "is exactly where he shouldn't be." Just as Gabriel appeared ready to respond, Alison silence him. "Don't think for a second that you can manipulate me with your clever phrases," she warned him. "I'll ask again. Where. Is. Grayson."