Chapter 69

"Cora." Grayson got straight to the point as he and Alison distanced themselves from Mason.

"I've never seen her before until today,"Alison replied immediately, her gaze drifting toward the nearby chocolate fountain. She nibbled her lower lip, seemingly torn between the temptation of chocolate and her thoughts about Cora.

"Perhaps she's part of Mason's inner circle?" Grayson tried to bring Alison back down to reality.

"Perhaps," Alison acknowledged, her gaze still transfixed by the chocolate fountain. She was clearly deep in thought, and Grayson hoped it was about the latter.

He still hadn't told Alison about his brief interrogation with Cora at the student exhibition room, and he intended to keep it that way. It was clear that Alison knew nothing about Cora, just as Grayson did. However, he had a strong suspicion that Mason had included her on the board, much like Alison had added Grayson.

Alison made her way to an open balcony, Grayson following closely. As they stepped outside, she closed the doors behind them."I've got a plan," she began, walking past Grayson. "Mason only opened up about the social contract once, and it was with you, after our visit to Brooklyn Heights Hospital," she continued, leaning against the stone balustrade. "Since then, he's been keeping it under wraps."

Grayson could see where Alison was heading with this. He took a deliberate step forward, narrowing the distance between them. There were a few issues with her plans that he needed to address,beginning with his role as bait.

"Alison-" but before he could, Alison kicked off her heels and gracefully perched herself on the stone balustrade. In a swift motion, she unpinned her hair, letting the breeze whisk it freely.

Grayson was surprised by her sudden action, but he hid his shock well. She turned towards him, her face lit by the moon, making her features stand out. His gaze locked onto her, almost unable to look away, so entranced that he didn't dare to blink.

"And when Mason confesses..."With a graceful motion, she extended her arms like a bird stretching its wings. "I'll be free."

Alison smiled at him, a smile that sent tremors through Grayson's entire being. It was a genuine, flawless, perfect smile that looked exactly like the last photograph he took of Emily before her passing.

Alison appeared to sense a sudden shift in the atmosphere. She gracefully descended from the balcony, her earlier confidence replaced by confusion as she gazed at Grayson. "Gray?" Her hands reached out tentatively, drawing nearer. But just as they were on the verge of touching, Grayson instinctively stepped back.

Alison's hand hung in the air, her face remaining impassive, yet Grayson glimpsed a trace of hurt in her blue eyes. He recognized the pain he had caused, a pang of regret gnawing at him. If only he could rewind time and undo that step he took, both physically and emotionally.

Slowly, Alison lowered her hand, her gaze never wavering from his. She concealed her pain well, her expression resuming its neutral demeanour. It was as if the flicker of hurt had never existed, but Grayson knew better. He understood that his actions had wounded her, even if her face concealed it.

"What did I do?" she asked gently.

Grayson paused, his thoughts swirling as he considered her question. It wasn't a simple matter to explain. Now that he thought about it, there were undeniable similarities between Alison and Emily.

Alison had long, ebony hair that flowed in soft waves, quite different from Emily's strawberry blonde locks. Yet, both possessed a certain delicate beauty. Their braids, though showing different colours, held the same graceful charm. Alison's sapphire eyes glittered like precious gems, while Emily's sparkled in emerald green. And they both shared an enchanting twinkle that was hard to ignore.