Chapter 63

The journey to New York was smooth and quick by the private jet. Once he landed at the private airport, he immediately headed to Brooklyn Heights Hospital. 

Throughout the trip, his mind was consumed with thoughts about what William and Hudson had uncovered, beyond just the social contract.

As Grayson arrived at the hospital, he made his way to the third floor, where the patient files were kept. The corridor was empty, with no one in sight. He quickly found the room he needed, but unfortunately, it was locked.

Most people might have given up at this point, but Grayson was not an ordinary person. He considered his options, contemplating whether to kick the door down or break the handle, but before he could decide, the door opened on its own.

"Grayson, what are you doing here?" Shea stepped out of the room, appearing puzzled as always. "Where's Alison?"

Grayson spotted Shea holding some files and hoped they were about William and Hudson. To shift her focus, he asked, "How are William and Hudson doing?"

Shea gave Grayson a weak smile and replied sadly, "William is in a coma, but Hudson's recovering just fine."  She then turned away, seemingly preoccupied with something, and locked the door to the room containing the patient files. 

Grayson sensed that something was different with Shea. She looked tired, with her honey blond hair now longer, reaching down to her ears, and dark circles under her eyes, showing she hadn't slept much. She was still wearing the same scrub covered in dried blood from when Grayson saw her last time. 

Shea's hands were trembling, and the keys she held jangled nervously. "How are you, Shea?" Grayson asked.

Shea turned to face Grayson, tears streaming down her cheeks. "I'm exhausted," she confessed, wiping her tears away. "I'm scared, confused, and I haven't even taken a shower in 3 days."

Despite Shea's distress, a part of Grayson, his Hawthorne side, compelled him to stay focused on the situation. So Grayson stepped closer and gently placed his hand on her shoulder. "Let me help you with that," he said gently.

Shea wiped her tears with her palms and handed Grayson the files she held. "Thank you," she said, still sobbing slightly. After taking a deep breath to regain control, she added firmly, "I'm going to freshen up."

She gave Grayson a weak smile and walked off to get some much-needed rest. Once Shea left,Grayson quickly looked inside the files, confirming they indeed belonged to William and Hudson. 

The first page detailed the car crash, which could have been fatal, but they were fortunate to have survived. William's condition was severe; he lay in a coma with serious brain injuries, and the doctors couldn't guarantee his recovery. On the other hand, Hudson had suffered multiple broken bones and injuries, but he was expected to fully recover with time and proper treatment. In other words, Mason had the chance to harm them, but he chose not to.

Perhaps it was a means to control Alison, considering she had already lost her parents, and she didn't want to lose her brothers as well, Grayson thought. By keeping them alive and in Mason's grasp, he could ensure she continued to abide by the social contract. But Grayson couldn't help but question if Alison genuinely cared about her brothers or if, deep down, she longed for freedom instead.

Grayson remembered when Alison saw her brothers, and she didn't shed a tear. He wondered if she might have hidden her emotions from him. But later, when he found her in the files room, she acted as if it was all just a game. Her reactions left Grayson puzzled and unsure about what was truly going on in her mind.

Lost in his thoughts, Grayson made his way to the first floor, completely forgetting about Shea. Stepping out of the elevator, he walked down the hallway, took a left at the corner, and passed by William's room on his way to Hudson's.