Chapter 7

Word count: 1809

Taylor's POV

"It's not parenting advice, it's just basic human nature. Children seek out those who bring them comfort, care for them and show them love in a time of need.  Tonight she needed someone and instead of you, she chose a complete stranger, doesn't that make you wonder why?"

"Of course it does! She's my daughter and despite your judgement, I do care about her. You have no idea what we've been through, so don't sit there and pretend like you know better," Joe whisper shouts at me with one of the angriest looks I've ever seen. A small part of me feels guilty for attacking him - only a small part.

"I'm not trying to pick another fight," I rush out after seeing his anger only grow.

"Than what are you trying to do? Get us another sit down with social services?" Joe huffs.

"Of course not! It's just-just that you are usually patient, soft spoken, and empathetic with everyone but Averie. With her you have a short fuse, nothing is ever okay with her.  It seems like all you can do is criticize her," I explain gently removing my hand from Averie's back to move her head off my chest. I have a feeling Joe isn't gonna want me holding her anymore, considering the daggers he's staring at me right now.

"That is such rubbish," Joe exclaims, "I can't always been the fun parent, Taylor, especially when I'm practically her only one."

"Joe-" I go to speak again.

"Can you pass her to me, I don't feel comfortable with you holding her if you're only going to talk crap about my relationship with her," Joe insists, just as I thought. I carefully pass her over, not missing the small whimper that escapes her mouth as I pry her tiny fingers off my shirt.

"Thank you," Joe doesn't even look at me as he adjusts Averie in his arms. She surprisingly stays asleep.

"Joe, I just think you're too hard on her. Like tonight Averie was trying to tell you something and you snapped at her without listening," I give an example hoping he would come around.

"I was stressed, Taylor. She has asthma and when she gets sick, with a cold or the flu things can elevate quickly," Joe explains to me. Well I didn't know that. I'll have to look that up later tonight maybe.

"Oh."

"Yeah, I'm gonna put her down," Joe hastily decides. I can see the emotions swimming in his eyes, he's close to tears. It was never my intention to make him cry or start another fight but a father should treat his daughter like a princess. And I feel like Joe treats Averie like a mistake. I sit quietly on the empty couch waiting for Joe. I don't want to interrupt any moment their having and I think he needs a short break from me. God this is not how I wanted this to go. I came here to fight for us, not for her but rather Joe and I.

Joe returns shortly after laying Averie down in her bedroom. He sits back down on the couch, farther from me this time.

"What are we doing? Do you not want to be with me anymore so you're picking a fight?" Joe takes a sharp breath before resting his head in his hands.

"I don't know. I didn't meant to start another fight," I reply softly. I really don't want to loose him. He feels like one of the things I actually got right in life.

"Well you did, so now what?" his anger shines through as he snaps at me.

"I don't know. I'm sorry I know you're not a bad parent. I think I feel insecure that you have a daughter who you're okay with putting on the back burner. It makes me worry that you could do that to me too. I just don't understand why you're okay with her being away from you for so long."