Chapter 55

Word Count: 2797

Taylor's POV

I returned to Averie's room to find her curled up into a ball underneath her school blanket. Greg gave me a concerned look before stepping out of the room to give us some space. I'm guessing the police had a lot of questions and she got overwhelmed. I wish I could've been here to help. She didn't deserve to have this happen.

I carefully settled at the end of the bed, my eyes never straying from Averie's dazed state. I reached out to gently brush a stray lock of hair from Averie's forehead.

As Averie stirred from her slumber, my heart skipped a beat, and Averie's eyes fluttered open, briefly clouded with sadness and confusion before recognition dawned.

"Hey there, baby," I whispered, my voice soft with tenderness. "How are you feeling?"

Averie's response was a barely audible murmur, her voice barely above a whisper. I didn't quite hear her but she lifted her arms to be held. I pulled back her warm blanket cocoon and lifted her into my arms. She grabbed on with a koala-like strength, which is when I noticed Daisy and Piglet had joined the party as well. Piglet was tucked in her hospital gown while Daisy was smushed between us.

I reached for the cup of water on the bedside table, offering it to Averie with a gentle smile. "Would you like some water, darling?"

Averie nodded weakly, her fingers curling around my shoulder as she took small sips, her eyes never leaving my face.

Once Averie had finished her water, I sat back on her bed, my eyes never leaving Averie's face. I knew that we had a long road ahead of us, filled with challenges and obstacles to overcome. But at this moment, surrounded by the quiet hum of the hospital room, I found comfort in knowing that in this moment we could have a little bit of peace.

Averie ducked her head to lay comfortably on me. She's been soaking up as much cuddle time as humanly possible. I draped her school blanket over us before a nurse came in with a pile of paperwork for me to fill out. I had to ask Elizabeth and Janet about a few questions but it was mainly just me initialing for the care that had already been given with a verbal okay.

I signed my initials on the last page before placing the clipboard on the table and rubbing Averie's bare back from where her gown didn't close.

"Alright, that's all the forms. I spoke to Daddy and we made a plan. We're going to go to the London house and pack a bag, so we can get on a plane to go to New York. You're gonna stay with just me for a little," I gently informed Averie, my voice laced with warmth and reassurance.

"Uh huh," she agreed meekly.

"Five more minutes then we need to get up," I beckoned, resting my chin on her head.

After Averie was unhooked from the hospital machines, Greg helped gather all of my and Averie's belongings while Parker loaded up the new medical supplies including a nebulizer, inhalers, and liquid meds from the pharmacy. Meanwhile, I carried Averie into the bathroom to get her changed into normal clothes after Dr. Robbins gave me a full rundown of what to expect for an at-home recovery.

She immediately started to throw a fit when I stood her on her own feet. Jumping up and down with the tears streaming down her face as she failed to communicate what she wanted. She was even flapping her arms to try and get my attention.

I crouched in front of her, opening my arms to hold and soothe her. She ran right into me, not hesitating even a little. Whatever happened when I was gone seemed to linger on her mind much more than I thought.

"Shh, it's okay. I'm not going anywhere, you're gonna be okay, baby love," I whispered sweet nothings in her ear as I tried to calm her.

When I tried to set her down again, she refused making it extremely hard to change her. I was going to try to wash her hands and face a little so she didn't feel as yucky but I doubt I'll be able to set her down for that long. Anytime I tried to set her down, she cried uncontrollably.