Chapter 10

Word Count: 2260

Taylor's POV

I was unloading the dishwasher as Greg was watching some TV.

"Taywlor?" A small voice calls out from behind me.

"Yeah?" I softly reply turning to face her.

"Is my Daddy coming home soon?" Averie asks, old tears already streaking her face. What's got her so upset?

"Of course, he should be home around six so just one more hour," I dry my hands before making my way to her. I crouch in front of her as I try to better understand what's happening.

"Oh okay," she looks away from me, her frown still evident.

"Do you want a hug or maybe do you want to tell me what's wrong?" I ask next.

Averie turns back to me, tears still pooled in her eyes as she tries to formulate her words. I can tell she struggling to ask for help.

"Would you like a hug?" I ask opening my arms to her and she surprisingly runs right into me. Her little tears cascade down her little face as soon as I have my arms around her.

"Oh baby love it's okay. It's okay," I try to soothe as I run my hand through her hair.

I stand up with her in my arms and walk around the kitchen bouncing on my heels. It seems to help some as she relaxes her tense body into mine.

I hum a little tune that's been stuck in my head all day until I can tell she's fully calmed down. Her thumb is in her mouth as her other hand clutches my shirt. But otherwise her body is relaxed and so is she.

I move my hand to lift her into a better position which is when I notice what might be upsetting her. "Averie, are you worried because you need help changing?"

"Yea," she mutters.

"Okay, can I help you? Would that be alright?"

"Uh huh," she decides. I carry her back towards her bedroom and lay her down on the changing table.

She continues to anxiously suck her thumb as I change her into her underwear with her approval. When we're all done, I set her back on her own two feet. She looks a little disappointed but doesn't comment on it. I wish I could do more to make her feel better. I can tell she's distraught but I'm not sure what to do.

Averie's POV

I watch Taylor's face contort into s mix of confusion and guilt. I'm not sure if it's about me but I hope it's not directed at me. I'm glad she was able to help me change out of my pull up.

It was dirty because of my bad dream. Daddy says that my bad dreams shouldn't be shared with anyone but him, my uncles, Grandma, and Grandpa. I can't tell Taylor that I had a bad dream because she'll ask me about what happened. I don't wanna tell her and get in trouble.

Regardless I'm disappointed that she put me on the ground. I didn't want that. I really liked when she was holding me.

Hold up - that's not right! I'm supposed to dislike her. She stole my Daddy.  She must've made me go to sleep. I didn't want to, that's so annoying. I wanted to go to the yogurt shop.

"I'm about to make dinner, does some pasta sound good?" Taylor asks me next as she hovers by me.

I nod my head yes because I don't think it'll matter what I say.

"Okay, do you wanna help cook?" She follows up with, "or you can go play?"

I wanna stay with Taylor but Daddy doesn't let me help because I'm too little. I just feel anxious and I wish I had Grandma because I know she would get it. She doesn't mind holding me as she cooks.