Chapter 51

Word Count: 2776

Taylor's POV

We cried the entire way home, and when I say 'we,' I meant all of us. Even Greg teared up as he drove us back to the rental house. The separation tore through our lives like a sudden storm, leaving behind a chaotic aftermath. I couldn't stop worrying about Averie. Is she happy? Will Clara cuddle her when she is sad or scared? Will she remember when to pick her up from school?

These anxious thoughts invaded my mind all day. Joe and I flew separately to the States since I was going home to New York and he was going to Los Angeles. The solitude allowed me to dwell on the whirlwind of emotions swirling within me. Memories of Averie's laughter and warmth haunted me, now tinged with an ache that seemed to seep into every corner of my being. Beside me, sat the empty seats that used to be filled with my loved ones. I still remember how tightly Averie gripped me during her first plane ride to Nashville. I love how her eyes lit up when Joe would suggest a new song for me to sing to her. I miss how sassy she was before napping at home and I hurt when I think about how much more she deserves.

Joe talked to Averie very briefly that night and said she seemed okay but sad, which was to be expected. However, it kills me to know that even if she was sadder or hurt, I'm not sure he would be able to pick up on those signs over the phone.

The following day I met with my team for the new album rollout. I finished a few more photoshoots and tour meetings before heading to Nashville. I was looking forward to spending some time with my family and picking up my girls. I felt like a bad cat mom for leaving them for so long. Meredith didn't seem bothered by it while Olivia loudly meowed at me.

Joe was growing increasingly distant, good morning texts seemed to be few and far between. Late-night calls seemed to halt as he waited desperately for Clara to call him or return one of his calls. He was burying himself in work as if trying to outrun the pain of the separation from Averie.

Unable to shake the nagging feeling of unease gnawing at my insides, I sought out a private investigator to uncover more about Clara's past two years. Between stressing over Averie and Joe and my new album, there were days that I felt like I was back to square one of my recovery. I asked my mom to eat meals with me because I felt like I was slipping too much. It sounds ridiculous since it had only been a little over a week but so much changed. I went from spending every day with my baby love to wishing for her to come back. I don't think I've ever missed someone in the way I do her.

Days turned into weeks as I waited anxiously for any news, any sign of progress from my PI. But each passing day brought only more silence, more uncertainty. Joe remained distant, his presence a constant reminder of the growing rift between us. Will this be the end for us?

One evening as I sat in my mother's living room with Austin, he broached a topic that sent a chill down my spine. His words were carefully chosen, his tone hesitant yet firm. I was perched on the plush couch, my arms folded tightly across my chest, and my expression guarded. Austin sat across from me not paying any attention to the movie that was playing before us. Mom had gone to bed hours ago, leaving us to our own devices.

"You know, Tay," Austin began tentatively, breaking the heavy silence that hung between us. "I've been thinking a lot about this situation with Joe and Averie."

My eyes flicked up to meet Austin's, my gaze guarded. "What about it?" I asked, my voice cautious. Everyone knew that I didn't want to talk about this. I was hurting enough already.

Austin paused, choosing his words carefully. "Well, it's just... it all seems a bit... rushed, doesn't it?" he ventured, his tone gentle but probing.

My jaw clenched with frustration, my heart pounding in my chest. "What do you mean, rushed?" I countered, my voice tinged with defensiveness.