Chapter 44

Word Count: 3575

Averie's POV

The summer in New York is crazy. Daddy and I flew in yesterday for his work and to see Taylor. Things have changed a lot since Rhode Island but my feelings are still hurt and some days I still feel sad. Today is one of those days but I also might just be grumpy because of the time change. I'm not used to this much travel.

"She's awake," Daddy announced as I grumbled. We were in Taylor's New York penthouse and to say it was scary would be an understatement. There are always people outside the windows by the door. That's scary to me and I'm not sure how I should feel about being in a new place or a different place every two weeks. It's feels stressful to me.

"Oh she looks grumpy," Taylor comments with a giggle as she reaches out to hold me. "Good afternoon, babes."

"Hmm," I huffed disinterested in whatever these two were up to. I let Taylor pull me into her arms seeing as she's much more comfy to rest on.

"How was your nap? You fell asleep at the studio. Jack thought you were so cute," Taylor gushed. I just shrugged, adjusting my grip on Daisy before laying my head back down.

"Did you like seeing where Taylor works?" Daddy chimed in and I turned my face away from him not wanting to talk to him right now. I'll just pretend I don't see him.

"Apparently she's not in the mood," Taylor chuckled as I felt her chest move. She's right I'm not. I wanna go home. I wanna be in my own bed where  I can sleep without feeling like a stranger in someone else's home. Taylor has too many houses. We're going to her house in LA next, how many houses does she have? My Daddy only has one.

I close my eyes hoping to drown out her talking as she sways back and forth. I'm suddenly shifted from one person to another when the doorbell goes off disturbing my impromptu nap. "That's them, I'll answer it," Taylor scurried away.

Who's them? I'm not up for company. Can they not see that? These two aren't good at having children. I just wanna cuddle and eat spaghetti soup with pink lemonade.

Taylor's POV

The doorbell chimed, and I hurried to answer it, expecting our guests for the evening. Blake and Ryan were joining us for dinner, a welcome break from their busy schedules. I opened the door, and they greeted me with warm smiles.

"Hey, Tay! Long time no see," Blake exclaimed, wrapping me in a friendly hug.

"Hey, Taylor. Thanks for having us over," Ryan added, shaking my hand.

"Of course, come on in!" I ushered them inside, the energy of their presence adding a lively touch to the penthouse.

Meanwhile, Averie remained nestled in Joe's arms, her grumpy demeanor unchanged. I exchanged a knowing look with Joe, silently acknowledging the challenge of lifting her spirits today.

"Dinner smells amazing, Taylor," Blake complimented, catching a whiff of the spaghetti wafting from the kitchen.

"Thanks, Blake! It's a simple spaghetti night," I replied, leading them to the dining area. Joe joined us, and we settled around the table.

Averie, still in the clutches of grumpiness, eyed the spaghetti with a lack of enthusiasm. Joe decided to turn her portion into spaghetti soup, knowing that she'd like that much more. Ryan chuckled at his culinary improvisation, knowing it was one of Averie's favorites.

"Alright, Averie, here's your special spaghetti soup," I announced, placing the bowl in front of her.

She glanced at it, her frown softening just a tad. "Did Daddy make it?" she mumbled.