Chapter 47

Word Count: 3292

Nobody's POV

Joe and Averie returned to London shortly after Taylor's trial. Taylor even loaned them one of her private jets. She followed them soon after her 6th album announcement. She didn't want to be caught in the media more than necessary, so London had become the great escape. They even rented a townhouse, seeing as Clara wouldn't be able to make any unexpected visits.

Today was the third day of discussions for Joe and Clara to try and settle on an agreement before their court date in early September.  The attorney's office felt like a battleground as Joe and Clara engaged in a heated exchange, fighting tooth and nail for their daughter. The air crackled with tension, and their lawyers looked on, ready to intervene if necessary.

"Clara, you can't just swoop in after years of absence and demand equal custody. Where were you when Averie needed a mother?" Joe exasperated. He was tired of arguing with a lady who didn't look back when she walked out years ago.

"I have my reasons, Joe. Reasons you wouldn't understand. But that doesn't mean I don't care about Averie. She's my daughter too," Clara defended.

"Care about her? You've barely been a part of her life. She doesn't even know you, Clara," Joe scoffed, "I bet she couldn't pick you out in a police lineup."

"And what about you, Joe? Always buried in your work, neglecting Averie. She deserves more than a father who's too busy for her," Clara snarked, leaning forward to ensure she got in his face as much as possible.

"I provide for her. I work to give her a good life. What have you done?" Joe angrily retorted.

"April 29th, 2016!" Clara shouted, crossing her arms.

"Oh really, what about March 10th, 2015!" Joe raised his voice as if it could help him win.

"Oh fuck you, I was sick," Clara rolled her eyes.

"Sick? Or high? Because I spent hours trying to track her down before I found her in the hospital with a positive tox screen. Care to explain how a two-year-old tested positive for oxy?"

"She was twenty-three months, don't you know your own daughter's birthday?" Clara deflected the question.

"That doesn't make it any better, Clara," Joe glared.

"I bet it was one of those workers at the center," Clara huffed as if she was bored by these accusations.

"Where were you?" Joe pushed on, "She was sobbing when I got to her, a nurse was trying to comfort her but it was no use. She was devastated."

"What about you? You were halfway around the world trying to get into some liar's pants. Our daughter was kidnapped and suffered severe physical injuries, yet instead of coming home, you finished your press tour," Clara remarked.

"I had contractual obligations. You on the other hand ran away. It was your day with her, yet you were nowhere to be found. You left her without even looking back," Joe snapped.

"She was broken, yet you were seen drunk in a dive bar?" Clara dug in.

"Don't pretend like you know what Averie went through! You weren't there!" Joe shouted as he sprung up from his chair.

"Neither were you!" Clara jumped to meet his glare.

"And I regret not being able to be there more, but I was there when I could be. I changed her diapers, gave her sponge baths in the spica cast, and even held her as she cried through her PT because it hurt so bad. Where the fuck were you when this all went down?"