Chapter 48

Word Count: 4238

Averie's POV

The morning sunlight spilled into Taylor's rental house, casting a warm glow on the living room where I was engrossed in playing with my toys. Taylor, sitting on the couch with her laptop, exchanged glances with Daddy as they prepared for Mummy's visit. Mummy called a few days ago to schedule a special day out with me. I didn't want to go but Daddy said I had to.

The atmosphere hummed with anticipation and a touch of anxiety. I wanted to play but I also wanted to be close to Daddy and Taylor, so I sat right by Taylor on the floor. I just wanted to be close to them, plus I was finishing my asthma treatment so I couldn't even go far if I wanted to. The air crackled with the unspoken emotions swirling around us. Waiting is hard, especially when you don't want the wait to end.

"Alright baby, we're gonna go. Can you go get your jacket?" Taylor gently stroked my hair after pulling off my mask.

"No," I protested. I wanted to delay this as much as possible.

"Do you want some help?" Taylor offered.

"No," my voice wavered as I stood up asking for a desperate hug. I want her to keep me instead.

"Oh baby," Taylor pulled me onto her lap after setting her laptop aside. I cuddled into her warmth instantly.

"I'll get your coat, Nugget. Why don't you guys get settled in the car? Is Greg gonna drive us over?"

"He loaded the car seat this morning," Taylor responded as I slipped my thumb into my mouth.

"I'll meet you out there, I just need to grab her bag," Daddy conceded.

It took Taylor twenty minutes to get me into my car seat. I put up a fight because I didn't want to go in the car. I don't wanna leave. I kicked and screamed and even tried to hit her. She scolded me for that one. I don't care because I'm mad and sad. Daddy gave me a pacifier but I refused and stuck with my thumb. It kind of tasted like syrup from breakfast too. I threw the pacifier at him and it hit him in the face but he didn't scold me. So I guess I win.

The car ride was silent to the police station. When we arrived, Daddy got out to talk to my Mummy. Taylor tried to unbuckle me but I swatted her hand away so she gave up and just hummed a little song for me as her hand rested in my lap.

When Daddy opened the car door again, that's when I burst into tears. The waterworks weren't stopping. Daddy had to pry me out of my car seat. I fought and fought but it was no use. I tried to hide my face in his neck.

"Hey, sweetheart," Mummy greeted, trying to sound upbeat. "Are you ready for a fun day with Mummy?"

I continued to hideaway into Daddy, unwilling to let go. My tears had slowed into sniffles. Taylor was still in the car. I don't understand why she didn't get out.

"I want Daisy," I mumbled into Daddy's ear.

"Okay, we can get her," Daddy cooed.

"Who's Daisy?" Mummy asked, clueless. I sneaked a peek at her and didn't like it. She looked too kind like it was almost a joke. She was small too, shorter than Daddy.

"It's her kitty cat, it's in the bag I gave you. Could you grab it?"

"Of course!"

"Is this the famous Miss Daisy, Aves?" Mummy cheered, making me tense at that name. I don't like it.

"Daddy," I whimpered. I didn't like that. Maybe Daddy can help me that's what Taylor said to do.

"Clara, can you please not call her that?"