Chapter 16

Word Count: 3105

Taylor's POV

I sit down against the headboard of Joe's bed before settling Averie on my lap. My arm is still around her waist and I can feel how tense her body is. It's a big difference from moments ago when she was nearly melting into my touch.

I lean over and set her adorable cat cup down on the nightstand before trying to work out how to best explain this.

Recently I've been thinking about Joe and I and the millions of futures that we could have. It crossed my mind again as I was buying her cat cup. Since recently become very prevalent that I'm not just dating Joe, but his daughter too. Her approval means something also. If Joe and I stayed together for the long run, I'd be Averie's stepmom. It's not set in stone but that possibility means something to me. I need to work on building a good relationship with her because I can't imagine putting her in a situation where she has to watch her Dad try to choose between me or her. I'm not certain he wouldn't choose me again.

"Averie?" I clear my throat taking control of the tension in the room.

"Yes..." she hums in response.

"Can we talk about today?"

"Why?" She nearly pouts as she pulls back from me and wraps her arms solely around her Piglet. I'm starting to wonder if pigs are her favorite animals. She brings that thing everywhere except for school. He'll ride there and back but she refuses to take him inside. Instead, she spends time buckling him into her car seat to ensure that no one messes with him while she's away. I find it cute but I can see where parents get frustrated over their children's teddies. I can't imagine what would happen if Joe or I lost her Piglet. All hell would break loose and we probably wouldn't survive the wrath of angry Averie.

"We need to have a big girl talk," I start as I chose my words carefully.

"No." She denies my request as she shakes her head in denial. Her voice falters a little as she tries to start firm.

"Yes." I echo her tone as she side-eyes me. She scrambles to slide off my lap before taking her place on the bed about a foot away from me. I watch her as she watches me. Her eyes flicker over me carefully as she hugs her Piglet close to her chest.

"I think we should talk about today."

"Why?"

"I feel like there's some things that you told me about that have been making you upset and I want to help you fix them so you feel better," I explain in the simplest terms I can muster up. I want her to understand and feel like she's being heard.

"I'm not upset," she mutters as clutches her Piglet tightly. Her sassy manner was gone and replaced with a shaky, scared one once again.

"What are you feeling?" I ask, hoping to guide the conversation.

"I don't know," she takes a shaky breath.

"That's okay, I can see you're feeling some big emotions. Do you want a hug or do you want to cuddle for a little before we talk? I don't mean to make you nervous babes. I just wanna help you," I whisper in the quiet room. Averie looks up at me through her eyelashes. The worry was evident in her eyes as she scans my face. She doesn't trust me, right now.

I move to reach to comfort her but she instantly recoils as she squirms to move away. I retract my limbs quickly, not wanting to scare her further.

Don't speak to her like an adult. It echoes in my mind as I try to choose my words carefully.

"Averie, I wanted to tell you that I realize that me being here 24/7 is a big adjustment. I'm sorry if I'm making it extra difficult but I'd like to help make it easier. While I have spent a lot of time with your Daddy, me and you haven't hung out much. And it can be scary being around strangers, right?"