Chapter 54

Word Count: 4421

Taylor's POV

"I'll keep you updated. Maybe she'll be awake enough to FaceTime later?" I offered as I wrapped up my phone call with Joe, my heart heavy with all the chaos that has happened in the past 24 hours. Yesterday I was dancing my heart out with my fans and today I'm cuddling a very broken little girl.

"If she's up for it, I'd love to talk to her," Joe smiled hopefully, his love for Averie shining through his tears. "I love you, Tay."

"I love you too, we'll talk soon," I reminded him, my heart overflowing with love for him and Averie.

"I love you both, goodbye," Joe's voice filled with emotion before we ended the call, leaving me alone with my thoughts and prayers for Averie's swift recovery.

----

"I love you so so much, baby love," I murmured, my voice barely above a whisper. "And I promise to do everything in my power to keep you safe."

As if in response to my words, Averie stirred, her eyelids fluttering open to reveal tired, tear-filled eyes. With a small, weary smile, she pressed herself up to look at me before resettling and grabbing onto my bra strap through my shirt.

"Hey there, sleepyhead," I whispered, gently rubbing her back. "How are you feeling?"

Averie's response was barely audible, a soft murmur lost amidst the monitors' beeping and the hospital machinery's distant hum. But her grip on my shirt tightened, her fingers clinging to me with a desperate need that tugged at my heartstrings.

"I know it's scary, Averie," I murmured, brushing a gentle kiss against her forehead, "But I'm here with you now. You're not alone, I promise."

"Hmm," Averie mumbled shifting to burry herself into me more, if that was even possible.

"What can I do to help you, babes? Are you hungry, too hot or too cold, thirsty?" I felt a surge of tenderness as Averie nestled closer, seeking comfort in my embrace. Her vulnerability tore at my heart, and I was determined to do everything in my power to ease her pain.

"Let's start with something to drink, okay?" I suggested gently, sitting up slowly with her body still nestled against me. I reached for the small cup of water on the bedside table and held the straw to her lips, watching as she took small, tentative sips. Her eyes closed in relief as the cool liquid washed away the dryness in her throat.

"There you go, sweetheart," I murmured, brushing a stray lock of hair from her forehead. "Is that better?"

Averie nodded weakly, her grip on my shirt loosening slightly as she rubbed her sweaty head into me. Her exhaustion was vivid, her eyelids drooping with the weight of her fatigue.

"It's okay, you can sleep now," I reassured her, patting her back

Averie's response was a soft sigh, her eyes drifting shut as she snuggled deeper into me. I felt her shiver a little so I kicked off my tennis shoes to tuck us under the blanket properly. Her fever still hasn't broken, but I can tell that we're all hoping it will soon.

"Ni-ni," Averie mumbled coherently for once. I took it as a sign that she needed rest more than anything else. I wish she would say more. I hate when she goes numb like this. She could call me crazy again and I'd cry in relief. I know she's hurting and I wish I could help more.

"Night-night, baby," I softly spoke as I ran my fingers through her hair. When her breathing seemed to even out again, I tried to move her to lie next to me on the bed so I could run to the bathroom. She protested with a loud whine, tears filling her eyes instantly.