Chapter 43

Word Count: 3313

Taylor's POV

He looked at me, his brow furrowed in contemplation. "Your place?"

"Yeah," I continued, "I mean, I want to be there for her, but I also don't want to overstep. I know you're her dad, and I don't want to undermine that."

Joe took a moment, the soft hum of the room filling the silence. "Taylor, you're... you're important to her. Today showed me that she relies on you too, and I can't ignore that. I want you to be a consistent presence in her life like you are in mine."

I nodded, appreciating his honesty. "But what about my role more specifically? Like if you had to choose a job title for my role in Averie's life?"

Joe's gaze met mine, thoughtful. He responded, "Taylor, I don't want to label it too rigidly. But if I had to put it into words, you're like a guiding force, a pillar of support for Averie. She looks to you for comfort, for laughs, and most importantly smiles. The transformation I've seen in her over the past few months has been
incredible like the light that JJ tried to dim was turned back on. I guess if we had to give it a title, you'd be Averie's Guardian of Cuddles."

I chuckled at the creative title. Sincerity resonated in Joe's words, reflecting the bond we were forming—a connection rooted in care and mutual understanding.

"That sounds like that silly movie about the guardians of the universe with like Jack Frost and stuff," I comment on his unique choice, a blush coating my cheeks.

Amidst the soft glow of the fading phone screen, Joe's gaze met mine with a mix of sincerity and vulnerability. The weight of the day lingered in the air, and I could sense there was something he wanted to share.

"Taylor," he began, his voice quiet but resolute, "I don't want to scare you, but I can see you being... more for Averie. I mean, like a mother to her."

His words hung in the air, and my eyes widened with a mixture of surprise and uncertainty. Joe continued, "I know we're not there yet, and I don't want to rush anything. But, Taylor, I can see it. You care about her in a way that's more than just a friend or someone helping out."

I took a moment to absorb his words, a myriad of emotions swirling within me. "Joe, I... I care about Averie deeply. She means a lot to me, and I want to be there for her. But being a mother..."

He gently interrupted, "I'm not saying you have to be her mother, but you're already kind of filling that place in her life. I want her to have the best, Taylor, and if that means you stepping into a motherly role, I'm okay with it. More than okay." He sighed and paused, running a hand through his hair. "I like that you want to be there for her, to fill in the gaps when I fall short. I know I need to do better, and I'm really going to commit to that. But I know later down the road there'll be a time when I can't connect with her like a mother can and right now I can see that being you."

"When Averie was first born people said having a kid is like adding to your team, you need to be there in all the ways they need no matter if the team is losing or winning. I like to think that you might one day want to be officially part of our team. I have already seen you be there for both of us in that way and I hope you'll continue to be that stable force for us in the future especially when things get tough."

His admission carried vulnerability, acknowledging his struggles and hinting at a long-dreamt future for
us. I reached out, placing a hand on his arm. "Joe, Averie needs both of us. That much is clear. However, I want to support you in being the best dad for her. I want to push you to be the best version of yourself which includes being the best Dad. But I'm scared to be a parent, to fill that role—what if I mess up or the world that surrounds me harms her?"