Chapter 49

Happy 13th!! :)

Word Count: 3746

Averie's POV

The days leading up to the inevitable separation were filled with a palpable tension. I could sense the shifting dynamics in the house, and the familiar faces of Taylor and Daddy carried a weight of unspoken concerns. Taylor tried to maintain a sense of normalcy, engaging me in activities and showering me with attention. Daddy, on the other hand, wore a serious expression, and hushed conversations between him and Taylor became a common occurrence.

One evening, as the sun dipped below the horizon, Taylor and Daddy gathered in the living room with suitcases scattered around. I watched them curiously, a knot forming in my stomach. Taylor noticed my gaze and waved me over. She pulled me into a standing cuddle and kissed my cheek. "We're just getting things ready, sweetheart. Daddy and I need to pack for work, and you."

I nodded, trying to understand the gravity of the situation. I know I should feel happy to have a Mummy now but I also kind of feel sad about it. As Taylor and Daddy worked on sorting through clothes and essentials, I clung to my stuffed animals as I plopped down on the ground beside Daddy, feeling a sense of comfort in their presence.

I wish the cats were here, I miss them. I overheard Taylor arguing on the phone about how she can't leave the UK until I'm with my mummy. She was very mad, it was scary. I'm not sure who she was talking to, I think it was her Daddy. She looked mad when she told them I couldn't leave the UK. She even rolled her eyes. I wonder if she misses her Daddy like I used to. Or maybe she misses her kitties?

"I'll wash them today if you go to the shops and get her some new shoes tomorrow," Taylor's voice draws me back in.

"Do you think I should keep her out the whole day?"

"Like a Daddy-daughter date? That could be cute," Taylor chuckled. Why did she laugh, I want a daddy-daughter day.

"Okay, yeah. I'd like that. Are you sure you want to stay here?"

"Yeah, my Dad mentioned some security threat earlier today."

"What happened?"

"Just another crazy guy trying to break in," Taylor shrugged.

"I'm sorry," Daddy offered.

"It's okay, it happens," Taylor sighed.

"It's not okay," Daddy leans over to affectionately squeeze Taylor's arm.

"It's just the unfortunate world I live in," Taylor says quietly.

"Well, it's also really unfortunate that you lost the coin toss, because you're gonna have to convince Averie to give up her animals for the washing machine," Daddy jokes, making Taylor chuckle.

"How bad can it be?" Taylor barely gets out of her mouth before I'm up and out of the room.

The moment Daddy mentioned washing my stuffed animals, panic set in. I protested vehemently, a surge of fear gripping me. I hid in my new bedroom in the closet and somehow Taylor still found me. There was a lot of screaming, mainly my own as I tried to yell over Taylor's words. I bet she tried to reassure me that they would be clean and good as new, but the very thought of them being taken away brought forth a storm of emotions.

As Taylor coaxed me out of my hiding place, her voice was soft and gentle. "Hey, sweetie, it's okay. I promise we're not going to hurt your friends. We're just going to give them a bath so they're nice and clean, like new. You can help us if you'd like."

Her words, though comforting, struggled to pierce through the veil of my anxiety. I clung tighter to my stuffed animals, tears streaming down my cheeks. Taylor knelt in front of me, her eyes filled with understanding. She reached out a hand but didn't try to take my animals away.