Chapter 3

“Why is she here today?” I ask my best friend with a small chuckle.

“Driving me crazy!”

I laugh. There was no rule saying women weren’t allowed, it just was how things were. That is until Serena came around. Scout started out giving her lessons after hours but now he has a “ladies night” twice a week. What was driving Scout crazy at the moment was the fact Serena had shown up at the gym early. Dressed in tight workout clothes; she was hard not to look at. The regulars knew she was off limits and they helped keep an eye on her when she was there. However, that didn’t stop Scout from worrying.

I finish what I am doing and walk over to Serena at the front desk.

[How’s my little mermaid today?]

[Tired, rethinking coming tonight. I even took the day off work.]

[I’m sorry.]

The front door opens and we both look up to greet him. I instantly smile at the guy. He’s the new guy who won the fight Saturday. I naturally look him over. He is cute. Black hair, striking blue eyes, muscular but not too big, a single tattoo on his upper arm. I wonder if he has anymore hidden under those clothes.

[Hi! Congrats again on Saturday.] Serena signs to him.

[Thanks.]

I am surprise he knows sign language. Even more so that Serena knows him well enough to know that about him.

[Perfect timing. Adam, this is Warren, the trainer I was talking about.]

I look at Serena confused, as I feel Adam glare at me.

“Are you looking for a new trainer? Or just wanting a new workout?” I beam my award winning smile at him.

[New trainer.]

I’m confused when he signs back. I look to Serena for answers. She is smirking. I instantly know I have just made a fool of myself.

[Adam is deaf.]

“Really? I just took him as the strong, silent type.”

[I can read lips, asshole]

I am embarrassed and Serena is trying hard not to laugh.

[Sorry. Let me start over. I’m Warren.]

[Yeah, Louis told me about you]

The thought of Louis talking about me makes my stomach flutter until I remember about the engagement.

[He mentioned he suggested this place to you. I’m glad you decided to give it a try.]

Adam just nods and an awkward silence spreads across us all. I don’t handle silence well so I speak up.

[Well, you can go on. If you need anything let me know. And if you are serious about wanting my help training, find me before you leave.]

Adam just nods again and walks off.

[What was that?] I turn to Serena.

[What?]

[You set me up. Why didn’t you tell me sooner?]

[And miss whatever it is that just happened…no thank you.]

[That was embarrassing]

[That was hilarious. It’s been a while since I’ve seen you blush so much.]

My hands shoot up to my cheeks. Serena laughs.

[I think someone has a crush.]

[no…I don’t even know him. But I'll admit he’s nice to look at.]

“Warren, get to work! You come with me.” Scout orders.

I watch the couple go into the office before walking around the gym. I stop to help a few people here and there. I take the basket of dirty, used towels to the back room before bringing out more clean ones. The whole time I can't stop my eyes from roaming around in search of Adam. I tell myself it’s to make sure he hasn’t left yet.  I really hope he will come talk to me before leaving. I haven't taken on a fighter as a trainer in a while and I’m kind of excited to get back into it.

I am cleaning up the locker room, trying to keep myself busy. The day is almost over and the ladies will be coming in for their classes soon. I am changing the trash when I feel a presence behind him. I stand up and turn to find Adam there.

[I’m leaving. Wanted to talk about training.] Adam signs.

I can’t help but smile at this.

[Great. I will write up a schedule and we can start a new workout. Leave your information at the desk and I will send it to you.]

Adam nods and walks away. I shake his head. He really is the silent type. He never shows any emotion. I can’t tell if he is mad, bored, or if that is just the way he is. It kind of bothers me. I already know it will be my goal not just to train him but to get to know the real Adam.

I finish what I am doing and start cleaning the parts of the gym the women wouldn’t be using. Once I am done I pack up to leave.

[Did you talk to Adam?] Serena stops me on the way out.

[Yeah, did he leave his information? I need to send him some things.]

[Let me look.]

I walk with her over to the front desk.

[Yep]

She hands the paper to me.

[Have a good night.]

[Night Little Mermaid]

For the first time in a while I am ready to go home. I can’t wait to get on my computer and type up a new workout schedule. I am excited to start mapping things out. After watching his fight Saturday I already know where I want to start.