Chapter 32

How can three days take so long? I swear I never thought they would end. After Adam and I’s amazing weekend away and a four day weekend ahead has made these three days just unbearable! Ok I might be being a little dramatic but ever since Adam agreed to join me at my parents’ for Thanksgiving I’ve been filled with a mixture of nerves and excitment. 

As we make our way there I wonder if Adam is nervous this time. I mean the last time he went to my parents’ house for the wedding he had no idea where we were heading. When we came up for church it was less people and no socializing. Ok now I’m getting nervous. When I pull up and park on the side of the road I grab Adam’s hand, lacing our fingers together. I take a deep breath and smile at him. I let go of his hand to sign.

[We don’t have to tell them if you don’t want to…if you’re not ready.]

[I think at this point we don’t have to tell them anything…they know.]

He smirks and I can’t help but stare at his handsome face. He leans over and kisses me, then turns to get out of the car. I follow suit and grab the food we brought from the back seat. 

[Plus I already know your family loves me. What’s there to be nervous about? And this time you don’t have to keep reminding me your sisters are off limits.] He laughs. [Trust me, I was too busy rejecting you to really consider anyone else.]

I just laugh and shake my head, unable to reply with full hands. He opens the front door and holds it for me to walk inside. It’s nice and warm inside, even though it thankfully hasn’t snowed yet this year it’s pretty damn cold already. I head straight for the kitchen to empty my hands. Of course half the family is in here talking and finishing up cooking. I am engulfed in choruses of hellos and hugs. My mom even walks over to Adam and gives him a hug. He blushes. We make our way into the living room where my dad and brother-in-laws are watching the Packers’ game. We are greeted with hi’s and waves. 

“Uncle Warren!”

I barely get turned around before Kate is jumping into my arms. 

“Wow! Hello sweetheart!”

I squeeze her tight and spin us around. Adam steps up and waves at her. I watch as her eyes light up and her smile grows.

“Adam!” 

She reaches out and hugs him as I keep a hold on her, pulls us all closer. She leans back towards me and readjust her weight so I don’t drop her. 

[Hello. I am happy to see you. Happy Thanksgiving!]

Adam’s smile grows bigger than I thought possible. 

[I am happy to see you too, thank you.]

I smile and start tickling her.

“Where did you learn to sign like that little lady?”

She tries to answer through her laughter.

“I asked…Mommy…Aunt Cara…learning…too.”

I stop my torture and put her down. Cara walks into the room.

“I heard my name and someone attacking my precious niece.”

Kate runs off laughing. 

[Is it true, you and Kate have been learning to sign?] I ask and sign. 

[Yes. I thought, if he is going to be around, you should not be the only one to talk to him.]

I try not to laugh at her terrible signing but it’s good enough to understand if you can’t hear her say it as she signs.