Chapter 22

Adam POV

My heart is racing. It’s honetly the only thing I feel at the moment. The tightness in my legs from walking for God knows how long goes unnoticed. The ice cold rain seeping through my clothes long forgotten. I feel nothing because even as I walk I’m not really here.

The lights are still on as I make my way up to the house. I was hoping my parents would be in bed when I got home. I should have known better. It is past curfview and I dread what is waiting for me inside. I take a deep breath, square my shoulders, and push the door open. I know I’m only fourteen but I’m a good responsible kid. I had a great night and I’m not going to let him ruin it.

It hits me before I can even make it completely in the door. I fly back, shutting the front door as my back colides with it. Taken by surprise, I am not able to prepare for the next punch. I don’t fight back. It would only make things worse. I have been on this side of his anger many times before, I’m only taken back by the fact I barely made it inside the house this time.

“Did you not think I would find out?” My father’s voice shouts out at me as he continues to beat me.

“What?” Is the only thing I can get out.

The only thing I hear is a name…the blood drains from my face. Now it makes sense. Out of the corner of my eye I see my mother. She is crying but does nothing to stop my father. We both know if she did he would only turn his fists on her. I look at her and I see it on her face. She agrees with him. The kicks and punches keep coming.

This is my punishment. I knew it would come some day. I don’t fight back or try to stop him. I simply take it as I look up at the ceiling. I deserve this. I have sinned. I gave into temptation. The tears fall down my face as I welcome the rest of my punishment. God saw that I gave in to my sinful desires and He is using my father to remind me…I must change. I can and I will!

“I’m sor…”

My words are cut off by a loud ringing in my head. The last hit to the side of my head leaves me on the floor. The ringing in my head is so loud I lean over and vomit. I grab my head and try to squeeze it so it doesn’t explode. Black spots fill my vision before everything disappears.

I stare at the door in front of me. My mind is too full of thoughts to remember why I’m here or how I got here. I don’t even know how long I’ve been standing in one place like this. My hand feels heavy as I lift it and knock on the door. The numbers on the door blur and I try not to sway as I stand waiting. My heartbeat picks up at the realization of what I’m doing. But now that I’ve knocked on his door, there’s no going back.

The door swings open and my anxiety sky rockets by the look on his face.

“Hi.”