Chapter 16

Adam is doing great. As stressful as it is, I am excited to have Cara next to me to cheer him on. The irony of the fact he can’t hear us doesn’t go unnoticed. We just laugh and shrug. The other guy is good too. They are well matched. It makes for a good fight and a nervous one too. I keep a close eye on Adam’s foot work and can’t help but feel a sense of pride in how much he has improved. Those solid kicks are all to Scout’s credit.

That’s when it happens. Adam takes a hit and goes down. I watch it all in slow motion and feel sick to my stomach. Adam just lost the fight. And just like when he was in the alley I watched him leave himself open for the hit. I know with everything in me just like last time it was intentional.

Once the place starts to clear out I am pulled between finding Adam and asking him what the fuck happend up there and getting Cara out of here as fast as possible. When Scout comes out to meet us I make up my mind. Scout and Cara are a little confused about my request but do as I ask. I’m just relieved to see Cara head out of here with Scout to watch over her until I’m done. Once I see them leave the building I make my way to the fighters’ locker rooms.

Before I turn the corner I hear a man shouting. He doesn’t seem to be yelling but talking way too loud. The volume might be what grabs my attention but it’s what he is saying that has me stopped in my tracks. The longer I listen the more my blood starts to boil.

“I almost didn’t believe it when I saw your name but then I looked it up and there was your picture. Adam Matthews, the Beast!” He scoffs at the nickname. “If only they knew. I had thought you would have changed your name after running away. Your mother was in tears. She still prays for you. I learned it was a waste of time long ago. She doesn’t know about this. I couldn’t bring myself to allow you to break her heart again. You looked good out there. At least until you ate it. I guess that’s to be expected though.”

At some point during this long one sided conversation I make my way around the corner. Adam is standing in the middle of the hallway with the man in front of him. He is about the same height as Adam but he doesn’t have the build. He is clearly older. His hair is thinning and gray. He isn’t signing at all and seems to be just shouting at him. This surprises me and irritates me just as much as the words pouring out of his mouth. The way he is talking to Adam doesn’t sit right with me. Adam looks lost or in shock. He seems smaller, like he has caved in on himself. There’s a look I’ve never seen on his face. He seems scared.

This has me walking over. My chest is tight and my blood is pumping. I oddly find myself in defense mode just like the night I saw him outside the bar.

“Is everything alright here?” I ask.

Both of their attention turns to me. Adam doesn’t move but his eyes are a mixture of fear and anger.

[Is everything ok here?] I ask him with concern.

[Just go.] He responds quickly.

“I see nothing has changed. I knew your mother’s prayers were a waste of time.” The man’s face is one of disgust.

“Excuse me!” I snap, using my hands and voice.

[Warren, don’t] Adam pleads with his eyes.

"Disgrace." The man shouts as he raises his hand at Adam.

The shock of this man’s actions takes me back as I watch him strike Adam. His words don’t even fully register as my fist connects with his face. He falls backwards into the wall and holds his now bleeding nose.

“Fucking fags." He snaps at me, then looks back at Adam. "You and your boyfriend  aren’t worth it. You’ve been dead to us for years.”

The man storms off. I don’t pay him any more attention. I turn to ask Adam what the hell that was about and I stop. He is as white as a ghost. There is complete terror in his eyes. And I honestly don’t know if he is even breathing.

[Adam?......Are you ok?]

He doesn’t respond. He doesn’t look at me but through me. I think he is in shock or something. I look around. We can’t just stand here.

[Adam? We are going to leave. I will take you home.]

He doesn’t reply but follows me down the hall and outside. Shit I forgot about Cara. I pull out my cell and text Scout.

Please take Cara home with you. I have to deal with something.

I didn't have the ability to type a long explanation.

Sure. Are you good?

I knew he would be worried.

I'm fine. I will call you when I get home.

If we weren't dealing with Max and his idiots tonight he wouldn't be so concerned. I look at Adam. Oddly enough this has nothing to do with them. I get Adam in my car and walk around. Every time I try to talk to him he doesn't respond. I don't feel comfortable dropping him off at his place like this. I sigh as I start up the car. Adam is coming home with me.

Adam says nothing as he follows me into my apartment. I turn on some lights as he just stands in the middle of the room.

"Hey, you're back."

I am surprised to find Cara coming out of the guest room.

"I thought I told Scout to take you to his place?"

"You did but I didn't want to.  I just wanted to come back and go to bed. Oh!"

She suddenly realizes Adam is here. I watch her blush and she smiles. I roll my eyes because I can only imagine what she is thinking. Then her face drops as she notices the state he is in.

"Is everything ok?" She asks, her voice dripping with concern.

"I don't know. Please, don't worry about it, just go back to bed."

She looks from him to me and nods.

"Night, if you need me please don't hesitate to come get me."

"Thanks, goodnight."

She walks back into her room and it hits me, I will have to put Adam in my room. I reach out to get his attention and he flinches away from me. I pull my hand back.

[Follow me.]

I head towards my room and he seems to hesitate but follows.

[You can get cleaned up in here. I’ll just…get you something to drink.]

I leave him standing in my bedroom. I grab a water bottle from the fridge. I run my fingers through my hair and try to figure out what the hell I’m going to do. I walk back into my room and the sight in front of me breaks my heart and feels me with anger all at the same time.

Adam is now sitting on the floor against my bed. His head is in his hands and he’s practically rocking back and forth. I place the glass on a table and drop to my knees next to him. I move in to hug him. As soon as my arms wrap around him he shoves me away. He swings at me but misses. I can see there are tears in his eyes. I don’t let him push me away. I wrap my arms around him tighter and hold on. He tries to resist but I don’t let him go. He gives up and his body sags into mine. I sit on my floor and hold him. His body shutters as he lets out pent up emotions. I wish I could say something to make this better. Or knew what was wrong to help.

Once he calms down I stand. I go to my drawers and get a pair of pants. I put them in the bathroom and grab a fresh towel. I turn on the shower before walking back into my room. Adam is still sitting on the floor so I offer him a hand to help him stand. Thankfully he takes it.

[Shower. Then rest.]

He looks at me this time and nods. A smile crosses my face at the improvement of his state. I leave my bedroom and shut the door. I grab some blankets and a pillow and set up the couch for myself. As much as I love my sister, her presence here this weekend is a big inconvenience. I sit on the couch and my head drops down into my hands. What am I doing? What is going on with him? After the way he has treated me, why am I still helping him?