Chapter 28

I look over at him as I drive down the road. His face is turned towards the window looking out at the beautiful scenery around us. There is a relaxed, content look to his face and it makes me smile. Like he can feel my eyes on him, he turns to look at me. I smirk and look back at the road.

“Are you going to tell me where we are going yet?” Adam asks, speaking so I can keep my eyes on the road ahead.

It amazes me how he so effortlessly switches between the two. He is starting to talk more and more. I wonder if it’s something he has missed doing so regularly over the years. I just smile and shake my head in reply. I want to sign to him that we are close but I don’t dare take my hands off the wheel because the roads are curvy and often covered in wet leaves. He just sighs and returns his attention to the trees flowing by.

After two hours of driving I pull off of the road onto a long driveway. It whins back a little ways hiding the cabin from the road. I park the car and look at Adam to see his reaction. He smiles at me.

“Are we just going to sit here?!” He asks with a teasing smile.

I shut off the car and we step out. The night air whips right through my long sleeves. We start grabbing the food and bags to take inside. My gentalmenly instincts urging to help and carry his things but I know deep down he wouldn’t like that. So we make equal work of the bags.

I open the door and as we step in our senses are overcome with warmth. The smell of fresh baked cinnamon rolls sitting on the counter fills my nose. Causing my stomach to squeeze in anticipation of eating the soft gooey treats. Heat from the furnace and the roaring fire in the fireplace warms my body. And the sight of the beautifully arranged cabin with the forest as the backdrop, through large glass windows and doors, is almost breathtaking.

“Wow.” Adam exclaims.

I nod and sign the same reaction. I place the bags of food on the table and we put our bags on the floor for now. As soon as we walked in, the kitchen with a small table was to our left. It was small but with the open layout it was more than enough for the cabin. The wall to our right opened to a doorway that revealed a spa-like bathroom. A shower that could probably hold four people and a jacuzzi style tub that could also hold four people. I smile, picturing Adam and myself using this bathroom, together.

Above the tub was a large bay window, candles and bath oils sitting on the edge. Outside was an endless view of trees and sky. The isolation of the cabin gives no reason for curtains. We continue on with our little tour. The back half of the cabin was the living room area. On the wall to the left was a big screen TV, a couch facing it. On the right wall was a mighty stone fireplace, two large armchairs facing it. The couch and chairs back to back, leaving walking space on either side of the room. The back wall; half large sliding glass doors, leading out to a decent size deck. The other half a large picture window, showcasing the gorgeous view outside. To our right between the bathroom and the fireplace are a set of stairs.

I’ve seen the pictures and although they don’t do this place any justice I want Adam to go upstairs before me. I want to see and read his reaction. As we make it up I want to see the look on his face when he walks into our bedroom for the weekend, when he sees our bed for the weekend. I need to know if deep down he is ok with it or if he still fears it. I know his body is ready but I need to know if his heart and mind are ready. Because I already know I’m prepared to spend the weekend on that couch downstairs if need be.

My heart races as I watch him take in the king size bed, the new view out the large window, the fireplace, and the open balcony that looks out over the kitchen and towards the front door we just entered moments ago. I can’t read him. He says nothing. And yet I know…deep down he isn’t afraid but he is nervous.