Revelations

In the morning, Dave guided Ade out to the car and coaxed him to  crawl into the back seat, where he promptly went back to sleep

In the morning, Dave guided Ade out to the car and coaxed him to crawl into the back seat, where he promptly went back to sleep. Bruce couldn't help but snicker a little at the sight.

"He ever wake up properly at this hour?" the singer asked quietly as he settled into the front passenger seat. They'd all agreed on the trip from the venue to the hotel that the three of them would ride together and let Steve and Rod share the other car to discuss the business details of having Nicko filling in for Clive.

Dave slid behind the wheel and moved the seat back a little, as the shorter Steve had driven them back to the hotel the previous night. "Sometimes, if we pour enough coffee into him," he said with a grin. "But since we're leaving early so we can meet up with Nicko and get some rehearsal time together, and we're just gonna be on the road anyway, what's the point? Let him sleep until he wakes up on his own, then he'll be fresh to take over the driving by the time I need a break."

"Huh... dunno why I never considered that," Bruce said. "Bloody stupid of me, innit?"

"Not really," Dave said, pulling out of the car park behind Rod and Steve. "No reason you should have thought of it. Especially since you're not driving this morning," he added with a chuckle.

"S'truth," Bruce laughed. "D'you lot know Nicko well? I know who he is, but Samson never worked with Trust at all."

"Trust supported Maiden for part of the last tour," Dave said. "Nicko's the only one we really talked to. Dunno if the other blokes actually don't speak English or if they just pretended they didn't when they were 'round us, but they very much kept to themselves and after getting ignored a few times when we'd greet 'em, we gave up trying, y'know?"

"Don't blame you there, mate!" Bruce snorted. "I would, too. Well, I hope Nicko fits in well enough until Clive's back."

"I think he will," Dave said. "He's a bit of a joker, mind, and is very much the sort to blurt out whatever thought comes to mind, but from what I've seen, as soon as his arse hits the stool and he gets his sticks in hand, he's completely professional. Only thing I've ever heard bad about him is that if snoring was an Olympic sport, he'd be winning gold every night."

Bruce tried to stifle his howls of laughter in the crook of his arm, not wanting to chance waking Ade. "Bloody hell, if that's true, I might have to invest in earplugs!"

Dave laughed. "I think we all will, mate!" He paused for a moment, peering at the signs indicating a junction ahead, to make sure he stayed on the correct road, then said, "I know you said you fucked about at uni as you really just wanted the excuse to come to London for the music scene, but would you have sat the same course if you'd intended basing your career on it?"

"I don't know," Bruce admitted. "I never really thought about it. I s'pose I'd have done some teaching credits and gone into that. I'd either be brilliant, since I'd have a captive audience to entertain, or else I'd get sacked within my first month for mouthing off to the headmaster or an influential parent."