Arc 1.6

"What just happened? Realm Master, he just kicked us out." Xiao Shu said with disbelief. It was not as if Nian Zhen kicked them out the way that rude landlord would do so, but after he had said those words, how could they shamelessly stay? 

His eyes darted back to the house and the door was still shut. 

Shen Jiyu looked at the door and recalled how Nian Zhen had gotten angry and a smile lit up in the corner of his eyes. Actually, when they first met, their relationship had not been all roses and tulips. He hated Feng Mian's always calm and gentle manner. He did everything that he could to make the other crack that peaceful face but it did not work. Eventually, he stopped and fell for the other. Not that it wasn't a mistake.

To think that what he had failed to do in the Heavens, would be easily achieved in the lower realm. Those flaring nostrils, straightened lips and dark eyes, who knew that he would look so good when he was angry? 

Shen Jiyu grinned, he had not imagined how much pleasure a small crack in Nian Zhen's mask would bring him. But it made sense, after all, this person maintained such an expression in every aspect of his life, not relenting even when he rejected him three days before their Dao Companion ceremony. 

Remembering that day, a familiar pain and hatred wrecked his senses. Through the door, he seemed to see that figure, drinking his coffee calmly while looking through his phone. 

Shen Jiyu wondered what he had to do, to completely wreck that composure and fake mask Nian Zhen used to deceive the world around him. What should he do to make him face dazed with mindlessness, his features consumed with the same pain and humiliation?

Won't such a face give him the ultimate pleasure?

"Xiao Shu! Let's go." He said with a faint smile.

Xiao Shu looked at him from the corner of his eyes, "Where to, Realm Master? We don't have any place to go. Realm Master, you might need to find a job."

"A job? Like the one you ascended immortals take for spirit crystals? That won't do. You need to ask your true self to go to my palace and ask for Yu Yue. Tell her code 157. She would know what to do."

Xiao Shu normally had a good temper but Shen Jiyu's words just reminded him of the condescending attitude of the Heavenly Officials towards ascended immortals and how difficult it had been to survive in Heaven when he had just arrived. 

Back in his realm, ascending was the ultimate pinnacle, everyone imagined that when they ascended, they would be like kings and queens served at every moment but that was their imagination. 

To survive in heaven, there were two paths. Either be so exceptional that the Heavenly Court would appoint you to their ranks or find a heavenly clan or bureau to seek shelter under. Xiao Shu had particularly suffered because of the actions of his Senior Martial brother. The Heavenly clans in Penglai made things difficult for him and he needed to work twice the amount as others, if he had not joined the Bureau of Monitoring, he might not have made such advancement in his cultivation. 

Xiao Shu pushed back the memory of those days and faced Shen Jiyu provoking him with his words, "Realm Master! His Highness, the Crown Prince is still in the Augur Mountain, what should it tell him before I leave? He wants to know the update of our mission and if you need help."

Shen Jiyu heard these words and his ears twitched. That was impossible.

"No need. I will find a job."

However, it was easier said than done. The places he went to asked for documents that he could not provide and when he looked for lower-paying jobs, they all rejected him saying that he did not have the skills that were needed.

Shen Jiyu sat tiredly on a bench in front of a construction company that had just rejected him. He was hungry and thirsty. It was really so tiring to find a job, shouldn't the companies be happy that someone even came to work for them, why were they so picky and choosy?

"Any other place?" He asked Xiao Shu.

Xiao Shu was still in shock, he had not believed that even fast food chains would reject the Realm Master. He had just wanted the Realm Master to feel a little pain of the common people, he didn't know that it would turn out like this, "Maybe I should send my true self a message." He said guiltily.

"No need. I already said I would find a job, I won't swallow my words." Shen Jiyu said as he reached for a piece of paper that was on the bench.

It was a coloured piece of paper that was asking for a hard worker who knew their way around food. Shen Jiyu showed Xiao Shu smiling, "Didn't I tell you that the heavens would provide? How can it see me suffering and not send a way out?"

Xiao Shu felt even more guilty when Shen Jiyu smiled and his head bobbed up and down like a chicken, "You are right. Realm Master, you are amazing."

Shen Jiyu eyed him warily. Is this child alright in the head? 

He asked around until he found the address of the police looking for a worker. It was the cafeteria in a big building.

Borrowing a young woman's phone, he stood in front of the building and called the number on the phone.

In less than ten minutes, a middle-aged woman came down to greet him, her face was full of smiles and she was very amicable.

"My name is Chu Mei. I'm the head chef in the cafeteria. You look so handsome, are you sure you are not an idol." She teased, while she dragged him with one hand.

Was she not a little too close with someone that she had just met?

"What is your name?" She asked as she pressed some numbers on the elevator.

"Lu Yan."

"What a nice name! You are so lucky that you picked the flyer. You don't need to cook, we just need someone to deliver food to the artists and bosses. They are usually too busy to come down and eat. Your salary would be 30,000 yuan a month and there are free meals and lodging."

Shen Jiyu nodded but Xiao Shu's eyes narrowed, just someone to deliver food, wasn't this package a little too good to be true?